the dvd issue *again*

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shabaco, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    well i finally had to format and reinstall xp, and i went to install 65.73 and what a suprise i still got continous pauses in dvd playback *grr* back to 61.77 i went. i can't remember if i explained the issue in full last time, anyway say you are using powerdvd or nvdvd and you are using a 5600XT like me and drivers 62.XX - 65.XX - 66.XX and your deinterlace settings are on auto / auto the playback paused every couple of secs but sound remains ok, changing deinterlace in pdvd to weave fixed the glitch and in nvdvd changing it from auto to film fixed it as well. yet drivers 61.77 and below are quite fine on the default setting(s) and the quality is good. no codec packs installed either, only standalone divx5.2.1 / vp6 / xvid 1.0.2 tried with no standalone codecs and problem still exists, also selecting VMR7 or 9 in nvdvd on 61.77 and the beta drivers above 61.77 exibit flickering horizontal lines in fullscreen mode which looks horrible but the pause is gone, you can't win!!"£$%£%^ i just hope when nvidia release some official drivers this issue is fixed, as i'll be stuck with 61.77 unless i get a different card or go ati again *ahhh*

2. superpichon

superpichon Member

GPU:
    Gforce go5600
    I have exactly the same problem as you... every single word you said describes my same problem.... I'm very pissed off about this annoying bug....

3. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Guest

Um, DON'T USE LEAKED BETA DRIVERS maybe?

4. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    congrats on winning the "lame poster of the day award".
    ..anyway so what if we wanna test some beta drivers? we find bugs and hope they are fixed in the official drivers, thats all we can do. come to think of it we probably find a good percentage of bugs/glitches that nvidia just let slip through the net with very big holes in. Sometimes we find a good beta set and we stick with it as it may fix some bugs the official drivers didn't and also may have new features, thats why some like the leaked drivers.
    the reason for my post about this issue is that its now been in atleast 6 beta sets sofar and the fact it hasn't been fixed yet in the betas, gets me thinking are they aware of it? & yes i emailed them but got no reply (yes they are probably very busy but hey even auto reply would've been nice).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004

5. TeaEtchSee

TeaEtchSee Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt (Winfast a400gt RIP)
    hes right..i had same problem

thats y i use NVIDIA offical drivers only....they still are good...

6. ntfx

ntfx Guest

prob ur **** card man, arent 5600XT 64bit? the one i saw in the shop was indeed 64bit.

throw it in the fire man.

7. superpichon

superpichon Member

GPU:
    Gforce go5600
    I even have this dvd problem with the crappy official 61.77!.... I don't experience that problem with any other drivers below 61.77... I'm using right now 61.45 which are really good... also 61.34 is very good....

8. superpichon

superpichon Member

GPU:
    Gforce go5600
    Shabaco, I have tried changing to force weave using power dvd but it helped with the pausing but still the picture was pretty bad and a little bit slower than usual.... I got freaking tired of installing drivers and getting this same annoying problem... can't get why they don't fix this problem for fx5600 video card users.... it seems that other people using other video cards don't get this same problem

9. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    ^ we'll just have to wait for the next drivers, i personally don't have the cash to buy a new card right now. & yes i have the 64bit card, it seems fine in games.

10. Satyr

Satyr New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5900 Ultra
    Im just wondering...you all bitch about bugs, but do any of you inform nvidia about those you find? Im fairly sure that most of you dont, and expect others to do so, or that nvidia has an exact setup as you and are familar with the problems you have. Try to help a bit instead of sitting behind all passive

11. superpichon

superpichon Member

GPU:
    Gforce go5600
    If you read a little bit you would find out that shabaco was actually trying to inform nvidia about this bug but didn't get any answer.... READ before posting messages

12. Giolon

Giolon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512M
    Satyr, if someone would kindly point me to a place where such bugs could be reported, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've had no luck in finding such a location.

13. chadt

chadt Member

GPU:
    BFG nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT OC
    Well jeez...

I was having this problem ever since I got my 6800 and installed 61.77 drivers, but I figured it was a compatibility problem with my system and the card. Now I find out it is a driver issue?

Can anyone vouch that installing 65.76 betas will enable the hardware decoding in 6800 series? I don't wanna screw around if it won't work.

14. chadt

chadt Member

GPU:
    BFG nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT OC
    I guess I'll answer my own question then...

Seems after installing 65.76, CPU utilization when playing DVDs has dropped to an average of 5%, with a minimum of 2% and a max of 13%. This is definitely lower than the 25-30% for 61.77s. I notice that panning in movie scenes no longer seems to "stutter" slightly like it used to when I assume the 61.77s forced the card to render MPEG2 in software.

The nVIDIA drivers *still* don't work as well or elegantly as the ATI solutions. There are still areas in my DVD playback that pause once in a great while for a split-second. And certain burned copies of movies completely throws the playback into a tizzy. When I had my old 9800 in the same system just a month ago, DVD playback was simply flawless.

Still, with games rocking with my new 6800 OC, I suppose I can let stuff like this slide. Doom3 is the s**t with this card!

15. Satyr

Satyr New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5900 Ultra

16. TeaEtchSee

TeaEtchSee Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt (Winfast a400gt RIP)
    it must be your hardware....not the driver.