DOOM3 Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Dutchman_007, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Dutchman_007

Dutchman_007 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Hi folks,

well lets get started... I have the following problem:
    [​IMG]

I cirkled the dots (if you can see them) with photoshop. And that is also my problem... these pixels are flickering constantly... it happends a lot around the weapons... Really strange... :(

I got my 9800 pro last nite... and ran a few games on it... except for doom3. All test's came out great :) . And today i decided to flash it to 9800XT, works wonders i tell ya... Scores went up with 700 points in 3dmark03 and aquamark finally hit 41000. But now these dots appear out of nowhere and the strange thing is that it only occurs in this game.

I have tweaked a few things in the autoexec.cfg file to make the game run smoother... could that have anything to do with it? Also, could it be driver related? Im currently using the official 4.8 catalyst drivers.

You see my system spec on the right... and every hardware has it's latest driver and just to let you know... im on a 360W power supply from Chieftec... Could that maybe be causing the trouble? (hard to believe it would be... but who knows?)

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. Lx3

Lx3 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800GT 256MB(ViewSonic P95f+SB)
    its most likely hardware related.. did you oc your card? if you did, you should try getting back to stock spds. there artifacts are most likley due to your card overheating.

3. Dutchman_007

Dutchman_007 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Thanks for the quick reply...

to tell you the truth... i only modded it to a 9800XT but haven't done anything with the clock- or ram speeds. Also i removed the stock cooler as its utter crap... and replaced it with a Zalman Heatpipe with a 80x80mm fan also from zalman.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Would the bios flash have altered the stock speeds?

4. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Most likely your RAM is being pushed to far. Try lowering the speed to see if that helps.

5. Dutchman_007

Dutchman_007 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Hi SL2,

well once again that is not the solution is was looking for... because i haven't overclocked anything on my system... everything is running at stock speeds. Very frustrating though...

Would the 4.9 beta drivers fix this problem?

Greetz

Edit: btw what are the stock speeds for a 9800 pro? Coz being flashed to XT could have altered the speeds? Running at 412 / 365

6. Cronus

Cronus Guest

New drivers may fix this - Doom3 was notoriously 'snowy' for overclocked cards at first.

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Stock 9800 Pro = 380/340

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup, its altered your clock speeds, you'll have to revert them back to normal pro speeds as per UZ7's post, Doom 3 is notorious for this, it does not like overclocked gfx cards. :)

9. games

games Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT
    man your card was 380/340 and now it an XT 412/365.
    Your already overclock the card with the mod.
    SO, use atitool or rivatuner and underclock the memory a little to 355 and test Doom3 Again.
    The white dots I only see with 4.9b, the 4.8 Final are ok and I'm runing at 412/370, So try other drivers too.

10. Dutchman_007

Dutchman_007 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Hi folks,

thanks for the reply's. I really didn't know that the mod would also overclock my graphic card. I'll tune it down to 9800 pro speeds then :).

Thanks again

11. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    No offence but if the mod to XT doesn't change clock speeds then what's the point of doing it?

12. Dutchman_007

Dutchman_007 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    Good point... however you see the r360 core has inmproved shader performance... over the old r350, so ill still gain a few fps from unlocking it even without oc-ing it.

13. games

games Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT
    9800 Pro and 9800 XT at Same clock.

XT wins.