ATI ACE Catalyst drivers 40MB plus

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KimmiK, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    No this is bad coz when i had my first ATI card, Radeon 9000 pro, I had a dial u[ connection and drivers were not ecceding 20 mb but luckily, i could download the control panel and the drivers seperatly which was more dialup friendly.
    But now drivers are as big as 20mb, even though i have broadband thankfully, it is still very big for drivers.
    And now the size could be excedding 40 mb (65mb including the NET framework).
    This is riddiculous for ppl who only have a dial up connection.
    Imagine how long it will take for these ppl to download drivers?

2. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    Oh yeah this maybe a dumb question but what benifits will NET framework have?

Also what does it do?

3. sonic7

sonic7 Member

GPU:
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9800Pro 128MB
    Dial Up ppl usually dont play Games n' Stuff so there is no need for them to get every single Driver Update i mean y should they, to get a better view on their Mail Client?
    Seriously, if u r a Gamer or at least some1 who WORKS with the Puter, u'll be on Broadband and with that 40MB are no Problem.

4. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    you can also be a singleplayer gamer like me when i had dialup 2 years ago :p

5. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    It isnt that Much of an Issue , Maybee it will take them 3 hours to get the drivers but it will lead them to find out wether it would be worth it or not

(I can see 100's of "4.xx ARE THESE DRIVERS WORTHWHILE!!!!!! / THE BEST! threads popping up :( )

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    @sonic7
    I have a fast DSL line but i mainly play SP games. I was part of a very successful Vietcong clan almost a year ago,but that was the only game that i seriously played MP. But i did play NFS:HS2 alot on 56k modem :) Ping was good and cars were not teleporting (much) hehe. I was also downloaded new drivers on regular basis (those recompressed with 7-Zip or another high compression rate packers and with only english language).

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    heh don't even joke.
    Funny I've never seen Official NVIDIA ForceWare driver release title over there, that section always looks so messy with "whats fastest whats whats" such and such. It might be as bad as the NVIDIA section in a few months or so.

8. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    I dissagree, I had dial up and i played a hell of alot of games, (still do :) ) and i had to update drivers and download patches for games. to sort out bug fixes and improvements.

But luckly, when i was downloading drivers they were not excceding 20mb when i was using the earlier version of the Catylist drivers, plus they were 2 files then, the actual driver file and the control panel file.
    Which made it good for ppl on dial up

But they will have to use a zip program of some sort so the files are zipped so ppl without broadband can download them.

And even now, not everyone has broadband so u still have to think about the ppl who don't

9. Ashrak

Ashrak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270x
    erm

how do i get this .net thingie to install the drivers?

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    LoL. What are you talking about?! Take that back or I'm gonna own you! ;) I have dial up (til November) and if I don't play games.... why did I just invest in a 6800?! Hmm.

11. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    ur going to own him eh? :eek:

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Haha, figure of speech. :p I just resent his statement... a lot.

13. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    statement removed

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  14. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    Yeah own him :D

15. sonic7

sonic7 Member

GPU:
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9800Pro 128MB
    Maybe beacuse u didnt found a better Way to waste some Money. :D
    Also, i said "most" not "all" thats a Difference, i know a lot of ppl on Dial Up and as i said most of them just use their Puters to write a few Mails and to edit their digital Photos and for those ppl there is no need to download every new Driver imo. :p

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Meh, stop stereotyping. Just because I don't have ADSL doesn't mean I'm a middle aged guy who just writes emails to family. :rolleyes:

17. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I got broadband in jan , but i still played games on dialup, i was so desperate for broadband , i signed up the whole of my village on Bt exchange tracker , and within a month bt upgraded the exchange , i wouldnt be suprised if i was the only person actually using Broadband here :)

18. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah, same here. Mine's getting upgraded in Nov. Freakin' rural neglection... I can't wait any longer! :)

19. TyPe-ZeRo

TyPe-ZeRo Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    To what people will these ACE drivers be open to? only x800 series owners? or is this like a whole new driver or something?

20. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    it will be for radeon 7000 and above