BIOS Mod 6800NU to 6800GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by necroscope, Aug 23, 2004.

1. necroscope

necroscope Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800 128MB
    Does anyone know where I can find information to modify my current BIOS (MSI 6800 128MB) to enable the 4 pipelines that are currently disabled?

Also, would having a 128MB card make a difference if I tried flashing to a GT BIOS? I know I'd have to lower the Mem speed, but does the difference in the amount of RAM matter?

2. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    currently, the NUs cant be flashed to GTs for several reasons.
    the NUs have 12 pipelines activiated instead of 16 like in the GTs. flashing will enable the extra 4 pipes, but they appear to be "broken" in the nu and end up causing possibly irreversable artifacts in all applications.
    Also, the GTs use very low latency GDDR3 ram, nus use regular moderately timed DDR ram. resulting flash can leave the card DOA

the only way to get close to the GT in terms of performance is to overclock the card somewhat.

the only mod that will be worth trying is if someone can find a way to enable the extra 4 pipelines in the nu and not have them be broken so that they can be efficiently used. (except for the 4 disabled pipleines and the lower clock speed, the cores are the same in every respect between the nu and gt)

3. necroscope

necroscope Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800 128MB
    The memory timings would be the worst of the problems. If I could find a way to enable the other pipelines in my current BIOS, that would be the best way. As far as overclocking, my card does 440MHz Core and 890MHz MEM. I'm just wanting to try and see if the other 4 pipelines would be possible, in the rivatuner thread about the other 4 pipelines being activated it seems they've narrowed down which ones will/will not be possible with a softmod and mine is one of the ones that will not. That's why I'm looking for a BIOS mod instead.

4. necroscope

necroscope Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800 128MB
    Anyone have any useful info?

5. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC (12/5) extra pipes don't work.
    I think I remember someone saying that the base 6800 had the 4 pipes "laser cut" on the die or on the board or something to that effect. If so, they'd have to be reconnected somehow. I'll try to find out where I read that...maybe tom's hardware.

6. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    see, i thought that all 6800's were lasercut to whatever they were, buit i flashed my 6800le to a 6800nu and i have all 12 pipes and everything works great..

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wolfy is right, they laser cut some of the NU's. Others are just disabled, hence the reason why the Rivatuner bios mod will only work on some cards. im not sure which companies laser cut the pipes tho

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I know if you can get a hold of the ASUS 6800 NU that it may be possible. That one supposedly had GDDR3 RAM in it. When you flash it to GT those effects he's talking about aren't in all the applications. It's either in only ones that use complex graphics or simple graphics, basically old or new games.