doom 3 is a pile of junk

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by worriedwort, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    hysteria, i did all that stuff.....my computer is squeaky clean for sure....in most games I see benches for I usually outbench the scores they give...even with higher processors...or sometimes when they are alot higher processor it suprises me that they didnt get more out of it.

anyway...I am not sure when less than 30fps became acceptable...must have been after halo pc. because if i cant keep the fps in the 40-50's its choppy and you can see it. especially if it dips in the 20's that, well is bad. dont get me wrong i like a game to be released that we wont even see at its best for a yr or so.
    you will be able to fire this thing up in late 2005 on your brand new gear and it will look like a new game...props there.

but it still had to be at least playable at a decent res. again i think this is mostly on ati to get thier performance better with ogl and if they dont by oct-nov i am going to nvidia camp again.

I am no fanboy...give me the best i can buy for my money at the time, thats it.

to reiterate with learning that i have to control the af thru the config file that help tremendously...and the fact that you have to do this(harder for the ineperienced) shame on ID.

2. ColtIce

ColtIce Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X850XT
    its been running great for me@1024x768 medium details no lag whatsoever.I ran it on high for awile but got a slight stutter when loading new textures so i dropped back down.if you think this game runs like crap I guess you have'nt tried farcry with less than a gig of ram.

3. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    no, i played far cry for 3 seconds till pc specs are capable of running it the right way.,lol

4. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    512MB of RAM will not cut it for High Quality mode at 1024*768 or greater. You need to seriously think about upgrading to 1GB.

Mine:
    2500XP @ 2.31Ghz
    1GB DDR @ 400Mhz [CAS 2.5, 4, 3, 2]
    X800Pro [560Mhz / 1.16Ghz]
    Catalyst 4.8b [Highest / 2xTAA / 4xAF]

Doom 3 Settings: High Quality

No stutters or anything.
    Average FPS is around 50 FPS.
    FPS with IMP's scaring the bajesus out of me: 49FPS
    Lowest I've seen was about 31FPS during the intro bit.

Runs fine here and can't wait for the OpenGL improvements in future drivers.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    512MB RAM is enough,trust me. I have played it on those settings...

6. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    oh boy, here we go.

nevermind...once again look at your sys specs vs mine.

It really doesnt matter. like I said in oct,nov i will be grabbing a socket 939 amd 64 3500 and a motherboard that handles interlacing for ram. for 800 mgz ddr. a gf fx 6800 ultra extremem 256 OC. and probably 2 gigs o ram for it. plus I am gonna grab 2 serial ata 100 gig drives and stripe set them to work in tandem at 100 gig. There will be no more DOOM problem,lol

7. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Right, I saw your post and took out one 512MB ram module about.
    Shuttervile city throughout Doom 3. HDD was going like mad.

Now that could be because Doom 3 is bumping down the texture quality settings because your card has 128MB of ram, hence why it's ok for your card but visually it wont be quite the same.

8. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    One tip I read (just a few minutes ago on another site):

Set your OGL preferences to their default (the "Balanced" position on the Slider). This person was also using a 9800 Pro (non-O/C) and he said the game is playable in High or Ultra High and is smooth as silk.

Maybe he was lying... Maybe it drops below 30 and he considers that "playable" I don't know.

But like they say, "any port in a storm" and since OGL is a storm when it comes to performance for ATI.. I'll take that port... And any ports that will help with performance in OGL... Over none at all.

What have you got to loose other than trying it, running the game for a while and then deciding whether to switch back?

9. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    I've got the same setup as you excpet a 2.8GhZ HT Pentium 4. I run it on HIGH with 4xAA and no AF @ 800x600 and it really is fine, runs roughly 50fps but when theres like 3 imps on the screen throwing flames at you it does drop down in fps but it really isn't that noticable. Hopefully when the new cats come out I'll be able to play it 1024 x 768 with 4xAA!

EDIT: just discovered the playdemo!

at 1024x768 @ high quality and 2 xAA the demo was 30fps non-stop!

at 800x600 @ high quality and 4xAA the demo was 30fps non-stop.

These are with the 4.7 cats. I'll try the 4.8's now!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  10. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Anyone who thinks Doom 3 is a pile of crap is an utter moron. Plays great on my 2500+ oc'd to 2035mhz and 9800 Pro 128mb at 1024 and Medium or High settings were both very playable. And about Doom 3 being OpenGL. Why in gods name would id want you to install DirectX 9.0b off of their CD, if it was openGL ??

11. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It's OpenGL.

12. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    For sound and possible other input peripherals.

13. dragonball1957

dragonball1957 Master Guru

GPU:
    1950 512mb 256BIT DDR3 PRO PCIE

THANK YOU , THE SAME HERE !!!!

HALF_life 1 was overhyped to me . I bought the first PCXL mag for the Review and it had a good rating, i though i was getting another Goldeneye or something .

THat game is Freeken BOOOORING. I had to shoot WALLS for fun , crappy Aliens , Crappy sound . Machinegun sounded like glass was breaking. those humans soldiers Never seem to miss their targets . they ways Hit u somehow. I ALmost sold the game the same damn freekn day yo. If only i never played FIrearms RC2.5 back then I would of never kept it. i would of just copy it and sell it. a waste of my cash.

IM not buying DOOm 3 or Half-life 2 . UNless its FUN. and has ACTION. No RPG chatter chatter crap like HL1.
    Far cry is a good example for a worhty purchase . Good graphics , to me even just as good as doom, and its FUN.

im noticing ppl buying games just cause of the graphics ? nothing wrong with that. but i mean damn what if u dont like it and never play it again then whats the sense. I hope they release a demo like they said before . I hope thta doom 3 gets more credit though then HAlf-life 2 . since even doom1 was better then Half-life. ek.:mad:

i dont know why a sequal was even made for Halflife anyway. the first was B.S.

14. Justin8018

Justin8018 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    YO DudE

GET doom III its really good, very long best graphics, and i've never got under 55 fps with ultra settings maxed out! fuk theese faggits who are dissin it just cuz their shiity ass comp cant play it good, or their just to damn cheap to go out and buy it so they say it sucks cuz their cheap bums

15. worriedwort

worriedwort Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC (400/1100)
    anyone know how to run the timedemo

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Ctrl + Alt + ~ = Console

Type in: "timedemo demo1.demo"

17. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    Doom 3 runs awsome for me. I have never seen a better looking game. BTW I have the 4.8 beta's if that helps anyone.

:)

-+>Aaron

18. dragonball1957

dragonball1957 Master Guru

GPU:
    1950 512mb 256BIT DDR3 PRO PCIE
    Re: YO DudE

:D :D ok. i belive in ur word my guru friend:)

19. Zen3k

Zen3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    I just wanted to say the guy who posted on this is dead wrong. Doom III is awesome!!. But as for the ATI side of things i think it sucks bad. I have a ATI 9200 and a FX 5200 and 5200 runs it smoother.... with latest drivers for both. I personally will never buy and ATI again because of problems like these. But as for this game. well its awesome.

P.S. Turn off the light, turn up the sterio a bit enjoy.

20. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I personally like the game, it kickass... anyways. ATI 9200 arent really a performers card... its slower than the 8500.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.