doom3 and systemrequiremnets

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mr orange, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    I wish they could do something like that though, I'm sick of upgrading...to expensive.

2. Intel17

Intel17 Guest

Carmack made it so it could run decently on a GeForce4MX, what other developer can claim to have done that?

3. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    ---------><8
    /Is it possible for programmers to come up with a "Super Code" for the game engine that enables the detail of game engines like UE3, Doom3 etc... to run on a Geforce 4 at 100fps?/
    -----------><8

Short answer: NO!!!!!!
    Longer answer: Unreal 3 and DoomIII are not even in the same league. Doom III was first demoed on a GF3 years ago. U3 is targeted at HighEnd PCs of 2006 and next generation of consoles. U3 will run on todays best PCs but with low quality settings. Doom III is supposed to rock on anything above Radeon 9800 Pro and even be playable on the good old GF4.
    There is no supercode. Assembly is the closest thing but to actually gain any noticable improvement you'd have to ditch the general purpose APIs (Direct 3D, OpenGL) and write your own graphics API. (Remember "Glide" on 3dfx anyone?)

Anyway, it's never going to happen because those who create games are no idiots who wish to put themselves out of business.
    The solution is simple, buy a new graphics card or accept the consequences.. ;-)

4. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    Carmack is not a human, he's a computer. ;) .

5. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    What I'm trying to say is to basically just drop DirectX and Opengl and hell even the entire C++ etc...you know what I mean? They should invent a brand new powerful language for computers, that's not even written by humans (because it's to complex). I'm certain something like this will exist in the not too distant future. Some sort of supercode.

6. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    Well, in that case, I've actually wondered for a long time how it would be if there was a compiler that could mutate the code and basically compile till it gets beter results then corrects the code accordingly.
    Basically, you want some AI in a compiler that is capable of learning and improving code. The company that produces the chip should be able to create the best comiler, but as it is now, it's a bit of a "chicken and the egg" problem. The chips are actually designed to perform well with DX and OGL, not the other way around.
    I guess that you should have a Transmeta-kind of chip and basically hardwire it to be ultrafast on some limited amount of operations...

Anyway... The most important thing to remember is that games are getting damn hard to produce (been there, done that). Games like Doom III and HL2 have been close to 6 years in the making. It's only financially possible because their previous games made them millionares. Most other companies can't afford such a long development cycle and 98% of the games end up being less complex than those two. What the industry needs is to simplify many of the time consuming processes involved in game creation. (Licensing solves a lot of those issues of course, but the Doom III isn't exactly free either).
    The new kind of supercode you propse would have the opposite effect and probably kill most of the companies as only a handful would truly master a super-code. (The closer it is to actual Ones and Zeros, the faster it will be and the more complex it will be for humans to learn.)

In the distant future, when graphics are already so good that there will be little point to buy even better hardware, the production of computer entertainment will be much, much simplier with huge amount of components that can easily be assembled into a game through a very user friendly interface (Voice recognition etc..). But we're not quite there yet..

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Its common knolege that game devs & card makers like NV & ATI have partnerships like you say NV & the stalker game meaning optimized code for there cards to run it better likewise ATI do the same thing eg HL2 even cpu makers do this eg. AMD released x86 optimization patch for Q3A & how can you say stalker dosnt look that good ?? it looks amazing well what I've seen so far in the alpha version which I've had for around 2 years granted it didnt run well at first mebe around 30 fps but with the new 6x.xx drivers I get a sold 100+ roll on Sept 16th is all I can say :D.

8. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    some ppl are crazy LOL listen to what this freak says about stalker in a preview posted at EB's website (here it is pasted)

DOESNT LOOK SO GOOD
    im not quite sure what everyone is raving about. and i definetly dont know why everyone thinks these graphics are so good. there no better than half life 1 and this game isnt coming out for a while and when doom 3, half life 2, and halo 2 come out peoples expectations for a game are going to grow cause developers are gonna have to pull off a miracle to top those games and according to the videos this game doesnt demonstrate anything special, but some parts do look pretty creepy. well im not sure but i might pick this game up and whats with these people saying they bought this game four months ago?

WTF NO BETTER THAN HALF LIFE 1!? LOL WHAT A ****TARD

9. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    ABout 2 weeks left till its relesed!!!!!!!!! Then we'll see how it runs and looks on our systems :D

10. Roccer

Roccer Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    i just preordered it :D cmon aug 3rd!! :D

all i know is judging from the early alpha i tried back with my Gf3ti200, my current vid card should be butter when playing @ 1024x768 with relatively high details :D yay for carmack's coding! yay for openGL!

11. Madax

Madax Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercooler X800GT 256
    I will say it like this. In the gaming industry, if a programmer/dev team can code something that will make it's end-user go out and upgrade his/her hardware than they did their frigg'n job!
    hehe

If I purchase a game and it runs like CRAP, forcing me to upgrade my memory, vid card, etc then sure - I will complain and moan, but I will also be supportive because it's good for the industry. That's good stuff!

Software represents $46 per every $100 spent on technology, up from $2 per $100 in the 1960s when most went toward hardware.

Software drives hardware. Without kick ass software we would still be using the same crap we purchased 5 years ago..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  12. Predalien

Predalien Guest

It truely is amazing hoqw many idiots there are out there, after reading this thread.

Use what little common sense you have.

Ill glady chop of my leg if it needs 2 Gig of ram and a 3ghz CPU.

13. TekDragon

TekDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS
    Omg.. please do not listen to the nitwits saying you need 2 gigs of memory. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. Get 2x512 dual channel DDR400+ chips with decent timings. They will MORE than satisfy your D3 needs.

Anyone who got 2 gigs now is simply wasting money. Games that need 2 gigs of DDR400 or above memory are quite a ways off. Wasting your money on thost 2 gigs now is pointless, since by the time the games come out your going to need to upgrade the memory anyway.

Pointless and idiotic. Do your research. More does not equal better.

14. DoomOlek

DoomOlek Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    Hi all,

i´m new here and will start with a new info on DOOM3.

Have read seconds ago on www.doom3maps.de , that Houston Chronicle had an Interview with COE Todd Hollenshead about the PC specs to play DOOM3 in it´s GORY GLORY.

Todd Hollenshead, id's chief executive, said Doom 3 will require:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
    • 384 megabytes of memory.
    • Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
    • An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.
    If your existing rig doesn't meet these specs, here's a guide to beefing it up to play Doom 3 in all its gory glory.

• Graphics card. This is the best upgrade you can make for Doom 3. It's also where computer makers, looking to cut corners on mainstream systems, often wimp out.
    Here's hoping the PC you own doesn't have a graphics adapter that borrows memory from the main system. So-called shared graphics notoriously choke on high-end games, and most budget systems don't include an AGP slot that lets you install a better card.

ATI Technologies and nVidia are the two biggest providers of graphics cards. As you move up either company's set of offerings, the results will improve. Cards at the top of the heap — nVidia's GeForce FX and newer 6800 series, or ATI's Radeon 9800 or newer X series — will provide the best experience and cost the most.

If you're upgrading, look for at least 128 MB of video memory in a card with Direct X 9.0 capability that installs into an AGP slot. Cards in the $150 to $200 range — such as a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT — will be a sweet spot.

• Memory. The 384 MB minimum may trip up a lot of systems. Many mainstream PCs in the last few years have come with 128 or 256 MB of memory. If you want to play Doom 3, more memory is better. I'd recommend 512 MB, and adding up to a gigabyte would be smart.

Check with the maker of your PC to see what type of memory it requires. Prices varies depending on the source and type, but use $50 per 128 MB as a benchmark.

• Hard drive. This is one category that may not require an upgrade at all — just some spring cleaning on your part.

If your hard drive is nearing capacity, take some time to clear off at least twice as much space as the game requires. That means you'll need at least 4 GB free.

Of course, if you're down to your last few gigs, you probably should buy a new drive. Get the biggest you can afford, with at least 7,200 revolutions per minute. You'll pay in the $80 range for a 120-GB Enhanced IDE drive or around $95 for a Serial ATA model.

• Processor. Although this is harder to upgrade, it's key to your Doom 3 experience. The minimum may be 1.5 GHz, but you'll probably want at least a 2-GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent AMD Athlon chip. The ideal is 3 GHz or better.

Enyoj :D

the complete Interview:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2690450

15. MastA

MastA Guru3d's P.I.M.P.

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP
    lmao those req are probably for running all low @ 640 x 480 res mwuahhahahaha!!!

16. DoomOlek

DoomOlek Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    yes, on the www.doom3maps.de site as well on www.gamershell.com right now is written

.......We now have the official minimum system requirements for DOOM III .......

:D

need to upgrade soon
    :p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  17. Intel17

Intel17 Guest

Those are good minnimum requirements!