Help - 6800 GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by StrikeQ, Jul 17, 2004.

1. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    I just built my new comp, specs in my profile.

I've tried drivers 61.71 61.72 61.76 62.11

With all of them when I run 3dmark03 it always freezes in the second game test 'Battle of Proxycon' or whatever it is called. I do not get any artifacts or anything. I try with stock speeds and with overclock. It just freezes and i have to reset my computer. Any help?

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    WOW! S939 A64 3800+!:eek: You're gonna kick major butt with that rig.;) Is yours a fresh install? DX9.0b? Mobo/chipset driver? Vid card driver? If you've forgotten any of the above, it will cause you some grief...:( I ran mine with FW 61.76 and managed to OC tp 425mhz/1.19ghz. ...FW beta 62.01 doesn't like OC....

3. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Yea I have all the drivers installed. I don't get any artifacts so I'm not OC'ing too far (420/1100 was highest I went) but even at stock speeds my computer still freezes in 3dmark03 in game test 2

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Hmmm....is your ram timing tight? I kinda recall freezing benchmarks due to this.....heard that the .inf file/driver is real important too. Sorry, just throwing out ideas here...:O Freezing also occurred when I benched with my 9800Pro when I OC too high and it got real hot. How's the airflow in your case?

Edit : Have you tried games with your rig? Any similar problem so far?:)

5. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    4 fans in the case, antec 550 true power power supply.

Haven't messed with any of the cpu/memory stuff yet. they all at stock.

6. moon-unit

moon-unit Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 6800GT
    use DX9.0c??

if your not already

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Installing DX9c won't help imo....it shouldn't freeze in the first place. My 6800GT runs nicely in DX9b, AFAIK, most are still using DX9b.

StrikeQ, is yours a fresh install? Or didcha have another card in your rig before the GT? IF you had another card in there before the GT, I'd suggest you uninstall your present driver, use driver cleaner (2 or 3?) and remove all traces of it....then, install the driver for your card. I'd suggest either the 62.01 or the 61.76, both worrk great for me. Are you able to play games w/o any problem?

8. Dr@Home

Dr@Home Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570
    That was a problem for me when I built this rig. At stock timings it would lock up in games and sometimes even on the desktop. maybe loosen them alittle? that fixed it for me. :)

9. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Fresh install. Directx 9.0b

Haven't played anygames, just finished putting the comp together yesterday and updated/installed the devices/OS

Installed CS and tested out FPS in a few smoke grenades. Haven't installed farcry yet, wanting to fix it so it won't freeze on me. I run 1280x1024 @ 85hz It doesn't always freeze at the same spot in the game test, however if i drop to 1024x768 reso it will freeze in the first game test.

As for memory timings I'm not good with those, and my mobo shows all the nummbers besides just the 4 I see people represent. Cept I don't know which one is which. I'll have to look at the thread again to see. But I *think* the timings are like 3-3-3-8 for stock

10. Shockwave778

Shockwave778 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6600GT AGP
    Use the 61.36's

11. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    I use ForceWare 61.72 with my GF6800GT and I have absolutely no problems with 3DMark2003.
    The first thing I would do is to run the card at the default clock settings (i.e. no OC) the second thing I would do is to take a look at the AGP drivers for the chipset.
    On my old computer I used a GF4 on an Abit mobo with VIA chipset and some versions of the AGP driver simply wouldn't work properly. At the time I couldn't finish 3DMark2001. It froze on some tests.
    Eventually, that was fixed with a BIOS update for the mobo (It was a VIA chipset error) but before that I had already bought a new mobo (ASUS +nForce).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  12. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I tried the 61.36 drivers same problem. Downloading the nforce drivers for my motherboard from nvidia see it that'll fix anything.

nforce drivers didn't help. redownloading 3dmark03 maybe I just got a bad copy. If it freezes again I'll just install farcry and see if that freezes while playing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  13. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Well computer freezes during 3dmark03 and while installing FarCry.

I can install/play any other game and haven't had it freeze on me. Only while installing FarCry or running 3dmark03.

This post should probably be moved to a diff forum as I no longer think it is a driver issue.

14. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    And lowering the GPU/mem clockspeed to its default settings didn't help at all?
    And how about the BIOS, did you flash it with the latest files?

I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be a display driver problem though...

15. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I have the newest bios according to the mobos website. And yea using stock settings didn't help at all. I can run play other games, I just can't install farcry or run 3dmark03. Last attempt at installing farcry instead of freezing my computer rebooted.

16. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    did you try your card in a different system? just to see if its faulty or not!

by the way: hardcore system dude! :D would love to see doom 3 on it (even if it freezes) :D

17. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Put the 6800gt in another comp and it ran 3dmark03 fine, no lockups.

I put the geforce3 ti 200 128mb card from the other comp into this system and ran 3dmark, it made it all the way too the sound test and froze.

I put the 6800 gt back in this one and it still freezes at game test 2.

Used 62.11 drivers on both comps to test.

18. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    It's most likely it's something with the rest of your new comp. Does the problem happen only when installing FarCry and running 3DMark? (I had a problem a few years ago, the comp freezed or restarted when I installed anything. If I reinstalled my video driver it worked as long as I didn't reboot. But this seems like a different problem.)

19. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I finally got farcry installed, but while playing it randomly closes and goes to desktop. Still can't get through 3dmark. going to format and start over.

20. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    Ok, what you should do is to remove everything that isnt needed to boot up and run 3Dmark. But one thing at a time! E.g. First remove your Audio card, run the test. Then remove all RAM modules except 1 and so on. My guess is that there is something fishy with the mobo itself, but to be sure you should eliminate all other possibilities first.