Cat 4.6 blows...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Slam, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    The only thing it helped was FarCry. It was smooth during high rendering and action. I have everything set to "very high" IQ, and low AA turned on in game as well. My 9800 pro produces stunning graphics. But occasionally with this game, you see the bandwidth limits of this card being reached at that level detail. The 4.6 Cats did smooth that out a lot. (and yes, I uninstalled old drivers, rebooted, then installed new ones).

However, my computer started acting weird with the 4.6's. Web pages would lag sometimes when I would use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down. One time, my cpu usage shot up to 100% for no reason, and just stayed there...the computer froze. I immediately reverted back to 4.3's, and everything is fine again. I love the visuals on ATI cards. They are something to behold. But the driver situation stinks. This is all totally my opinion of course. There are some that love this driver I'm sure.

2. Catalyst drivers can cause problems on your 2d desktop? aren't the point of the drivers for 3d games. I mean is the 2d driver portion of catalyst even updated with each new version.

3. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Video drivers can cause problems pretty much anywhere.

4. inertia

inertia Guest

i took off the latest cats and installed the Omega ones. The latest cats didn't run Thief 3 nearly as smoothly as any of the other builds. STill has light flickering problems though on my 9600XT.

5. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    yeah i had problems with the 4.6's too i had weak game performance and the omega/dna 4.6's did the same, also the 4.5, and 4.4 were kinda the same too.. so i just reverted back to 3.9's and im lovin it....

6. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    4.6 worked fine here like every driver does

7. Marcioab

Marcioab Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600-256VTD
    Same here with 4.6
    Try 4.7 ... it solved that problem for me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  8. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    Yeah, I am having some artifacting/anomolies with all of the 4.x series drivers.. Might still be a heat problem, being that I have the built by ati 9800 pro. but i have 2 huge video cooler fans (120mm) sitting right on the vid card, I can't imagine its not being cooled off enough. Although when I tried the omega drivers, the artifacting dropped to almost nothing.. a few white specs/dots instead of full on texture bleeding and stuff. I am currently on the 4.7 betas and am thinking very strongly of going back to the omega drivers.