6800 GT Review, Very impressive.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Predalien, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Predalien

Predalien Guest

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-2.html

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, very impressive. Only tests it loses on are Ut2003, and 1 or to with heavy AA, and AF.

Iam seriously thinking about cancelling my x800Xt order, especially as they won't be in the Uk for another month, and getting one of these. Trouble is, these won't be out for ages either.

This wait for these new cards is pathetic.

2. Soulfly

Soulfly Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    i m gonna buy the GF 6800 GT because this card rocks very good.......why should i spend my money for a ultra to get maybe 5-15 % more speed!?!

3. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    hmmm, but the problem is the bottlenecks IMHO. I'm considering if I'll get any more performance out of a 6800GT than a 6800NU with my current setup, the CPU bottleneck is tricky to figure out.

The review shows the 6800 is ahead in most cases and the cooling system looks nice. I just hope there a bit quiet in 2d mode.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  4. NeoFX

NeoFX Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 1280MB
    Once again I get to share w/ you all that this will be my next card :D

The thing looks top notch, but not top penny :D

5. YACOZA

YACOZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 7800GT x2 maybe?
    that will be my next card...

of course in the PCIe version

6. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    I thought everybody knew that the 6800GT was a better card than the X800 Pro? Not knocking the X800 Pro, it kicks the crap out of my modded 9500 Pro, LOL!

Well I'm getting the X800 XT for my gaming rig, and the 6800 GT for my Apps rig. IMHO these 2 cards are the top of the line!

7. worriedwort

worriedwort Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC (400/1100)
    some people just dont use there head. Why would you buy a 6 speed if you only drove thru 5 speeds?

Why would you buy a topend card and not use aa/af?

Sure the GT is faster, but we want image quality and speed, aa/af!

Look at the the gt dies with aa/af turned on.

Why would you pay 400$ so you can have yucky graphics at 200 fps when you eye couldn't tell the difference anyways.

I'd pay 400$ for max graphics, at 150fps when my eye COULD tell the difference. Difference how? Cause it looks good.

8. YACOZA

YACOZA Master Guru

GPU:
    LOL

looks like someone hasn't been reading up on the latest ati news....

turns out that they are doing to same optimizations that nvidia is doin... only diff.. they being sneaky about it (disabling the af optimizations when coloured mip levels r used)

and they don't have any options in their drivers to disable these optimizations unlike nvidia

looks like someone is just mad that they bought their 400$ mistake jk

9. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    Interesting.

Finally a series of tests that use close to the specs I have.

This should be interesting to see how they actually rate in real world apps and games when I finally get mine.

@Worriedwort:

The thing is... What you just made a big deal of is slowly becoming a NON-ISSUE with cards like the 6800 and X800: Both good looking IQ and good FPS.

I'm not an Nvidia fan boy or anti-ATI... But the main thing that puts me off ATI cards is the driver support.

And before you say that is just "bad hype", I've owned a 9700 Pro and while it was a great card... The driver problems drove me nuts. It is like ATI just can't get a competent -- or at least consistent -- Driver team together so that once they fix one issue in one game it doesn't spiral out of control into more problems for another game

(and yes; I'm a very competent PC user and enthusiast. I know how to maintain and use drivers; ATIs just have to many problems to be worth the hassle IMO for the marginal benefit they actually bring to games).

This is the main reason why a lot of people are not so hot on ATI products even if they do have better IQ in some games and apps more than anything and this has nothing to do with being a fanboy or whathaveyhou.

It has to do with convenience and EASE OF USE.

10. Mr.Fluff

Mr.Fluff Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX PCI-E
    In response to this:
    This is not a 59xx series graphics card here. The 6800 has EQUAL picture quality. Two many ATI users are bringing the past into the present. I will not argue with you for a moment that the 9800 Pro and XT beat the 59xx series of cards in the image quality department, but with the new 6800 series, lower image quality is just not true.

When it comes to the 6800 series you get Faster performance and image quality. Nvidia just really got everything right again, like the Geforce 4 series. But, because its been 2 years since Nvidia has put out both a Fast, and Image Quality card people tend to be biased after awhile. This is normal. After all, if you dont see good Image Quality after 2 years you then start to think that they will never get it right... But the have. In a big way!

11. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede The Humanoid Typhoon

GPU:
    GeForce 7800 GT PCI-E water cooled
    u will never for a long time find a gt to purchase. yes its faster than the pro, but the xt is the xt my friend. and to be honest just wait till the pro has its 4 pipelines unlocked. just hold your horses

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    IMO the GT and X800 died equally when aa/af were turned on. Note that when the X800 won it was only by 1-2 FPS exception being UT2003. We must remember to compare the GTs performance with TLF OPT to the X800 since the X800 uses TLF OPT by default.

13. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    lol which one looks better also? fps dont mean everything in a vid card

14. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Looks like the 6800 GT is the next big thing!

15. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    keep on reading cause it isnt, its a card that does lots of fps that looks like it just came out of a donkeys butthole

16. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Wow. Must be an overclocked butthole :D
    sorry couldn't resist

17. VashTheStampede

GPU:
    hahha must be

18. YACOZA

YACOZA Master Guru

GPU:
    wow... ati loyalists are getting mad @ this thread...

calm down... some day... ur card will be as good as the 6800 GT

19. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Or this thread be closed. (will a mod do it please?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.