9800 pro = r360 gpu but?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ChipTek, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ChipTek

ChipTek Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 pro 128mb(256bit) vga silencer 3.0
    Hi again.. posted a few days ago about flashing my 9800 pro card to an xt. didnt really know much about it but eventually I ended up getting the vga silencer 3.0. While installing the silencer i checked the gpu core chip on it it says its an r360 core. Great eh? well for some strange reason even with the silencer installled "perfectly" I cannot get ati tool to overclock the core of this chip upto the xt default never mind going past it. highest i can seem to get is 403 core and thats with original bios not the xt one.

This is a problem for me because i would like to run the card with the xt bios. I have tried it with the xt bios with the silencer installed. 3dmark 03 worked perfectly all the way through and ended up witha score of 6218 which is great.

However when I decided to try out ati tool to see if i could find max core the program just failed after clicking the find max core button. All I got was some kinda error to do with max something.

But when i flashed back to original bios ati tool worked fine just that i cant get up to 412core stable.. major pain in the butt. So anyone got any ideas what can be the problem? the chip is definitley r360 and with the vga silencer 3.0 id have expected much more core clock than what its spewing out at me :(

I made this post cuz the other one is kinda old now and noones bothering with it. so thanks in advance to anyone who can maybe help me out!

2. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    Ok... thing is, I think the XT's run .1v more than the pro's, so your R360 isn't running at it's fullest potential. If you were to voltmod the card, you'd be able to get much more out of it. I have an R360, and I voltmodded it .1v more (conservative... I'm thinking of trying to get more out of it), and now I can clock it to 440 with a copper 1U heatsink on it. Another thing that could be happening is that ATI doesn't produce the R350 anymore, so they put the better performing R360's into the XT's and the rest into the pro's. Not sure if this is the case, but if you're willing to do a voltmod I'd bet you'd get better results.

3. Sqeak

Sqeak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI PE GTX670 2GB
    Doesnt it up the voltage when u flash it to a XT im pretty sure it does correct me if im wrong

4. ChipTek

ChipTek Member

GPU:
    Voltmod

The voltmod sounds good. although in my bios i have something called agp voltage regulator which originally was set at 1.5. Now when i used ati tool with original bios and volt set to 1.5 i only got upto 403. However i change dthe voltage in my bios settings to 1.8 after reading on a forum about 1.8 being ok. Tried ati tool again but still cant get upto xt default :( if u can point me to the volt mod for which you did id appreciate it thanks.

5. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
  6. ChipTek

ChipTek Member

GPU:
    nope

Tried gigacube bios boots up ok n stuff etc used cats 4.6 ATI tool try to find max core and it finds errors straight away so core starts lowering :( running out of things to think of here snif.

7. tsquall_10

tsquall_10 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512 M
    Just flash it with the a XT bios. I flashed my sapphire pro in a XT and i reach 438 in gpu but memory it stuck in 365

8. ChipTek

ChipTek Member

GPU:
    what do you mean?

what is "the a xt bios"?
    so far i tried built by ati bios for xt, Gigagube XT bios, and the sapphire lite edition one.

I need another question answered though.

I bought the card from overclockers.co.uk and the product is called Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro Lite edition.

however within windows display advanced section under options and then details it states that the card manufacturer is Ati Technologies Inc.

This tells me that my card is in fact a Built by ati card am i wrong?
    I know this cuz when i flashed with the sapphire lite e-die xt bios the details manufacturer then stated it is a sapphire card. but only because thats what type of bios it is get it?

When i flashed with the built by ati xt bios the details then readt manufacturer as Ati Technologies inc (like the original bios) so to me it seems as if the original bios is a built by ati one but like i said earlier i did buy the card and it came in the sapphire lite retail edition box. So which is it? sapphire or built by ati?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  9. yojimborobert

yojimborobert Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GT @ stock
    yo... couple things. I dunno wether or not flashing to XT changes the voltage, I have not tried it for myself. Second, check to see that your 9800 pro "lite" isn't the 128-bit memory interface, or you may not be able to flash to an XT bios. Third, DO NOT change the AGP voltage (a.k.a. AGP VDDQ) through your bios!!! This does not help your overclock at all, and can damage your card! Basically, this is the voltage supplied through the AGP bus, and it does nothing but cause havoc. If you want to do a proper volt mod, change the Vgpu and Vmem voltages through soldering or clipping in resistors or potentiometers onto your voltage chips (guides are in a sticky thread at the top of this forum). Fourth, just because your comp says it's an ATI 9800 pro doesn't mean it's not a sapphire. Sapphire uses the ATI 9800 pro chipset and reference design (though they've been recently cheating their customers with a 128-bit version), so even if it's a sapphire card it will read as ATI in windows. Same goes with all other companies, it makes it easy because you can use basic ATI drivers for all aftermarket companies. The only difference between Sapphire, Asus, Visiontek, and other graphics card companies is that they have different cooling and come bundled with different hardware/software. Hope this helps!

10. [JAG]ReDDoG

[JAG]ReDDoG Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 pro
    I just bought that exact same card.Sapphire 9800 pro 128mb and 256 bit.The invoice said 256bit and ati tool showed a 350 core and 256 bit.First,could saphhire rip me off even thou it says 256 bit instead of really being 128 instead?also what should this card be overclocked to safely nice levels.

11. Trrgger

Trrgger Guest

Re: what do you mean?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/sapphire_ati_graphics_cards.html

^

?.

12. ChipTek

ChipTek Member

GPU:
    removed

seems as if the offer i bught from overclockers has been removed now maybe it was limited or something. anyway for those wonderig if mines is a 256 or 128bit version yes it is the 256bit version as it tells me through radlinker. and it is r360 core printed directly on the Die of the gpu!

max overclock with original bios core 405.00/365.29 Mem
    Im positive taht should be bale to go higher with vga silencer 3.0 which i have installed!