Help massive Problems guru assistance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by blurredfyre182, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ok for starters I have multiple problems with my videocard either that or its another hardware problem

my computer has crashes after gaming for a period of time and starts showing fracture lines.. like artifcats all over hte screen

and typically it will fail and use the vpu recover or it will just go blank and black out after awhile of use. Never in the windows screen only when i am playing games.

Recently I was playing quake 3 and the program would not load
    so i control alt deleted and ended process...then fromt hat point on everything on my screen has a greenish tint and i cannot see the color orange. It is not a monitor setting because i have tried everything monitor setting wise.

I was wondering if i should send in my card for the warranty I have a radeon 9800 pro ....also games freeze typically because of temperatures. I believe but even on normal voltages problems arise

my system specs:

3.0 ghz p4
    9800 pro
    abit VI7 a cheap mobo laround 70 bucks
    pc3200 kingston hyperx
    580 watt powmax demon

I have glued with artic silver epoxy ramsinks tweak monster bgas on the card and I popped of a capacitator which i glued back on with artic silver.

does anyone know if i can still send in my card for a warranty?

and should i?

I am about to invest in 230 dollars worth of cooling a peltier set up with a custom water cooling kit. Is it just heat thats the problem? or are there other serious problems going on with my card?

and how do I get the colors back in sync? should i try formatting?

I have already reinstalled the omega drivers i am using

2. select

select Guest

i get kind of the same problem...

well its summer here (cyprus) and its getting hot and if i dare to play zero hour after maybe 15 mins my screen turns off but i can still hear whats goin on, but i have to shut it down after that. i think its either my memory (i touched it and its really hot!) or my videocard. sorry i cant really help.

3. Bryanhickman777

Bryanhickman777 Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128ddr
    Uninstall everything to do with your drivers.
    Restart
    Load your bios.
    Load default settings
    Save and exit
    then reinstall drivers you want from scratch.

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    A capasitor fell off? That might have something to do with your problems i think!

5. Bryanhickman777

Bryanhickman777 Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128ddr
    try my idea first because i had the same problem.

6. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    First things first, you do not glue capacitors back on, you solder them back on. Physics 101, glue does not conduct electricity.

I've knocked off a capacitor before on an old MX440.
    What I had to do was just to put very small blobs of solder on the remains of the pins [front side of PCB]. Then I heated up the pins on the capacitor then placed it onto the PCB in its correct position. Then I heated up the points on the other side of the PCB to melt the solder.
    Card is still working fine in another PC.

As for RMA'ing, it comes down to two things:

1. Presentation. If you can remove your ramsinks and your card looks 100% un-modded then it should be ok.

2. Morals. Really you broke it so you should cough up for it. We had a simular thread debating this for another forum member after he snapped off a voltage regulator. In the end he RMA'ed it and got a replacement card.
    If morals bother you then get out the solder iron.