Moded 5900XT BIOSes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dr.InfernO, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadash

dadash Active Member

GPU:
    6800GT @ Ultra
    Hi Jimmor

Great news that you've found a fix to stop the throtteling.
    Do you remember me, I have the leadtekXT and you moded my bios to run at 300/460/920 the L59x4692.rom

Any chance of a no-throttle version of the L59x4692.rom and the Gainward 32003500 which I sent you a couple of weeks ago.

Here's my email again

Thanx :)

2. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    what bios are you using to clock to 540/950 ? GPU at 540 with stable performance is unlikely with any 59xx card unless extreme cooling is used ?? unless of course you have voltmoded your card ? And if so, then all bios functions, especially mods associated with throttling mode are useless ?

mass glitches in 2D can only be caused by too much overclocking of memory, since core is at 300MHz.

and raising your resolution puts much more strain on your card. Thats why when testing for your max overclocks, you must also take into account the max resolution you are likely to use. ?

of course what anyone trying out these mods should be doing is monitoring the core and memory volts, using a multimeter, when in 2D and 3D modes. This kind of test is necessary to indicate if your PSU is giving problems as you overclock ?

3. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    done !!

4. dcfan60

dcfan60 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS SLI @ 620/971
    With the volt modded XT bios and relaxed settings originally posted on the forum, and with a 5950 EVGA bios, I get those scores and clock speeds. I don't have it super cooled, just air cooled, with a processor heatsink. I have volt-modded it with a 22 K Ohm resistor. The card is a Leadtek 350 LX.

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

when you say you have voltmoded it, do you mean that it is voltmoded all the time or just that you tried it but then removed it ?

also the two throttle moded bios's I gave you were for running and testing at their set stock speeds. one of them under certain conditions will throttle down to 450MHz and the other to 510MHz. Any voltmodding you are doing may however upset this. Not really sure how voltmoding affects 2D, 3D and throttling modes. Could be checked of course with suitable voltmeter. And if higher or lower speeds are eventually needed then thats a diff problem.

and my comment above on finding your cards max overclocking levels at the max resolution you are likely to use is valid. Just like using too much AA in games puts too much stress on your card and will thus cause artifacts etc when overclocked too high ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  6. dcfan60

dcfan60 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS SLI @ 620/971
    it has been volt moded all the time. with a resistor. never gave me problem or anything. and when I try does bioses it does. I have this BIG old collection of bioses and I tryed them all with no problems.
    This sucks I really wanted to try your bioses.:(

7. dadash

dadash Active Member

GPU:
    6800GT @ Ultra
    Hi Jimmor
    Thanks for the bios and great job.

I havent had a chance to stress the card out yet with the new bios but untill now absolutely no problems. :)

I've had a few people in the forum asking me for the Leadtek whitebox bios that you moded to L5x4692T.rom and with your permission I will send them to try out.

8. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Back to the point about the Galaxy Zeus 5900 bios, I peeled off the sticker on the back where the memory speed was and it actually was printed as memory speed 700/800MHz. Culd this be linked to the relaxed latency already found by jimmor on the Galaxy Zeus BIOS? Any ideas?

9. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    oh and jimmor, that Galaxy Zeus bios works well, culd u do the same version with a 420MHz non-throttling 3d mode? so 300/420/750. Might be the best my system can do with its current PSU.

10. Jonse

Jonse Guest

To Jimmor!

To Jimmor! Could I send you my original Point of view 5900XT BIOS for modding? I have tried the Aopen, Creative and the other ones - but they work very well on my card... Got one of the Aopen to actually boot into Windows XP but got glitches in Farcry etc... Could you look at it?

Regards

Jonse

11. Jonse

Jonse Guest

Correction...

The differemt BIOS's I have tried 'do not work very well'... :)

Sorry

Jonse

12. Xeroxks

Xeroxks Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7600GT goldensample pci-e
    This morning when i started my comp i got huge artifacts in desktop.

I was using the galaxy no throttling bios 300/450/800.
    I flashed back to creative bios and everything was fine.

13. Nusuth

Nusuth Guest

MSI 5900XT bioses?

Hi all, first time here on the forum...

Jimmor, a question for you :)

I have an MSI FX 5900XT, 300/390/700, and I can clock it to 500/800 without artifacts, at least I didn't get any artifacts before :D I keep it at 480/795.

I get slowdowns in 3DMark03 at around 510 GPU, and artifacts at around 815 mem. So I guess my memory doesn't overclock very well. It's Hynix mem, and I guess it's 2.8ns, don't know how to verify it but I think that's it. Tests were run with 4AA/8AF at 1024x768, will post results if anybody is interested.

I didn't try to flash mod my card yet, because I wasn't certain that it would cope with 5950U bios.

What bummers me is that my memory keeps underclocking back to 700. I tried Coolbits and Rivatuner and MSI overclocking program, but something seems to interfere with the settings, and almost every time I restart/power up the PC, memory gets back to 700. Does anybody know why this happens? Can something or some program I installed cause this?

Anyway, Jimmor, can you fix me a MSI 5900XT bios with couple of different clocks, like 480/800, 500/800, and maybe a voltmodded one (with relaxed memory latencies??) so I can try if I can squeeze any more juice out of this card? And to see if I get any throttleing at those clocks. Pity MSI 5900XT doesn't have temperature measurement, and no memory heatsinks, that's a big minus. Anyway, can u make some MSI 5900XT bioses? Tnx in advance :)

And if anybody knows why my memory keeps going down to 700, I would appreciate the answer :)

14. Mamaun30

Mamaun30 Guest

Aopen 5900XT

HI!

First of all THANKS FOR THE MODDED BIOS!!!

I've an Aopen 5900XT card, what bios should I use to Flash It?
    Thanks!!

Sorry for the frontpage post, :p

15. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    my memory used to clock down to 700MHz randomly wen it was set too high, say at 800MHz, but wen i set it to a more comfortable 750MHz it stays there. Dunno why that is tho.

16. JoseB

JoseB Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800 16/6 350/800
    Nusuth,
    That is the reason why you should flash to the 5950 bios (with relaxed memory timmings) is so that you can overclock the memory you have even further. The memory on the 5900XT is rated at a low 700Mhz but is also set up with tight timmings to speed it up a little to make up for the slow speed when compared to 5900nu and 5900u. By relaxing this timmings, you slow the performance some but then gain it back and then much more when you overclock it much higher than before. I've seen some 5900XT's who got 950Mhz stable ram speed after flashing with 5950 with relaxed memory timmings. That may or may not be too much for long term use but 900Mhz is probably a good place to be and a 200Mhz gain.

Jimmor,
    I've got to give it to you man. Everyone here greatly appreciates what you're doing, and at a personal level, it's unreal. I'm still waiting on Fedex to deliver mine, probably Monday. Please don't go away yet!

17. dadash

dadash Active Member

GPU:
    6800GT @ Ultra
    Jimmor you are great :D

I installed your L5x4692T.rom and it works 100% :D

Absolutely no more throtteling, tested with MOHAA, Battlefield and Far Cry under extreme stress with temperatures rising to nearly 90° (read with Riva Tuner)

That was impossible before with the throtteling

What would be great now is the same L5x4692T.rom moded to run at 475/920 ( L5x4759T.rom ?)

That would run a treat without throtteling :D

18. Skull66

Skull66 Member

GPU:
    sparkle gtx680
    Double Cut, my Zeus is currently still using stock bios running at 340/430/800 what is the max stable that you could attain with your stock bios and what can you get with modded bios?

19. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Re: MSI 5900XT bioses?

you have to set the mem speeds in 2d mode and then apply settings on start up! this will prevent your card from falling back to 700 after the booting! this is a well known problem, and if you want some extra info on that i suggest you to use the search option on the forum (read a lot of post about this prob in the last week)! hope this helps!

20. Nusuth

Nusuth Guest

Ok, I set the frequencies again and made sure I did the same in 2D and 3D mode for mem (not for gpu of course :) )We'll se if it helps, I hope it does :D

I will look into those posts you mentioned, tnx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.