AGP aperature size question....plz help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by scotpig, Apr 10, 2004.

1. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Expertu, that's the best description of the Apperture Size ever!

Finally, a meaningfull explanation and not a hyped "the bigger the better" answer... :)

My way of explaining so far was by comparing it to the PageFile size in Windows... ;)

2. Expertu

Expertu Guest

Almoust right. (In big words yes...).

BUT....

If you're telling this to a newbie, you're gonna screw his brains more than they already are. He's gonna say.. WHat's a pagefile? OR .... So i can get a 40GB Hdd, to have a 40 GB Swap, and so ... to have 40 GB of video memory ?

I repeat myself, that's how newbie's see this....

Others see it like a simple comparison...

Good luck.

3. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    Just TRY this....

I went through this big agony almost a year ago, and a lot has been written about it.

Just try running your BIOS setting for AGP at 32 MB.

I know -- everybody will criticize this and start coming out with all this stuff about "half the size of your system RAM", etc., etc. There's a rather complex algorhythm that governs this, and it's not at all so simple as "more is better".

You've got 128 MB of RAM on your 9800. Good. Now just try running the card with a BIOS AGP setting at 32 MB, or, even LESS. You'll be surprised.... I was getting better performance with an aperture setting of 16 MB than I was at 128 MB! Oh, I can just see the shattered looks on people's faces....

I run my AGP aperture setting at 32 MB, and have for a long time now. This is one case where "more is not better". But, you'll figure it out.

"More IS better" in bed, in the bank, and life expectancy. The rest needs research....

Good luck!

4. Expertu

Expertu Guest

First of all Nofool, everyone, including myself, were reffering to SYSTEM RAM , not video RAM, when we mention 1/2.

And i mentioned earlier that sometimes less is good and more is bad.

If the system has slow memory more is bad. Otherwise....

And if it is the case of a slow system memory, by setting the aperture size to 32Mb for example, or less, you force the videocard to use the memory onboard ,and recycle it (old textures used, erased , and new ones put instead..).

In this scenario I agree with you, that less is good. ( i repeat myself... in case of slow system memory , and possibly a slow processor)

5. Sapper

Sapper Guest

It's not the size of your arpeture. It's how you use it....

6. scotpig

scotpig Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X800XT 256mb
    Indeed it did clear things up my man, and I'm glad it did.
    One step at a time when you're learning things like this "On the Fly" so to speak...

Still, some clarification from ASUS would be nice.
    They know what these settings do and affect, what to set certain things at etc., I think Manufacturers need to step up to the plate in the future and be more user friendly.

Thank god for boards like this one;)

Thanks again for all the clarification people!!!!

7. Expertu

Expertu Guest

That would be an irreal world. The real one, is when the so called elite manufacturers (Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, MSI etc.), would actually charge you for the info (payed phones, anual subscriptions to support forums etc..)

All the good luck for you and God Speed . Return whenever you need help.

8. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

Stop talking nonsense, please read this:

Source: http://www.rojakpot.com/showSecureB... [url]http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2004
  9. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

You just don't get it, you think that the Graphics card will definitely use the system memory? LOL! The system memory will only be used when the card runs out of memory.

You even call others newb?? :D you are just as newb as they are........

Instead of me explaining it.......uh
    please read the guide.......

10. Expertu

Expertu Guest

Ok . Now you have your own version.

YOu have big problems...

I mean .. If I was not clear enough on this one... Than:

And you say....

And i don't care about your "GUIDE". First of all... Please be more carefull when you post..Watch the WHOLE discussion... ANd then interviene...

You may actually learn something...

I'm a little mad, not because you had an alternative solution or ideea, but by the fact that you actually told me : "Hey .. your talking nonsense.. Here read this , (i don't know what god forsaken guide )..and learn... you don't know nothing..

Once again.. i mentioned ... i write from my 8 years+ of IT experience. Many Guru's here are much better trained or skilled than me.. but i don't just go in and throw a word or two..i bring actual benefits or improvments...

And another thing with your "GUIDE"... Tell this to Scotpig ( newbie sounds incredible , don't you think ?):

Only good things to you...

11. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

ROTFL! 8 years of IT experience is nothing
    8 years of IT experince doesn't mean that everything you know or learn is correct. You still don't understand what is AGP Aperature Size.....uh i mean how does it work :D

8 years of IT experience....... :eek: :D hah!

Tell you what, the guide is not written by me :D

12. Expertu

Expertu Guest

Have it your way.. I have explained it to you logicly... Based upon the previous posts, and your objections...

And as I said... I'm not the GURU here. I'm based on personal experience with many, many houndreds of systems , and video cards and others.. Some guide is just someone else's experience...

YOu could've explained the facts more apropiate.

I still wish you good things. And i end this quierell (don't think the word is spelled correctly)

13. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

The guide has been explained everything logically and you evidently don't understand what AGP aperture is all about.......

I'm telling you off just because you are misleading people by telling them the false things. :D

14. Expertu

Expertu Guest

This is not a forum for online argue's... I'm ending this right now.

Please... Give private messages if you have other things to talk about.

Please do not flood the forum with obsolete posts. That's for me too....

15. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

Expertu, tell you what :D
    I'm not arguing with you, i'm just disputing your facts. I want people to know the truth about AGP Aperature Size, not some "expert"'s opinion :p. The guy who wrote the guide actually done a research about it, not just based the guide on experience.

16. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    -------------------
    I think you two should stop spamming up this thread and take these matters elsewhere.
    -------------------

On a lighter note, i feel that to know you are getting the best performance from the aperture size you should start with 64MB then bench it, with 3Dmark01 or similar, then set it to 128MB and repeat it, also try out 256MB to see if that is good for you, but your best bet is either 64Mb or 128MB, my money's on 128MB.

17. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    I like Expertu's description and your .02 cents are actually a detriment to the discussion. There are many disputable points and I think it boils down to the fact that it is a individual case study. Depending on the size and type of system ram. Your quoting Rojak's guide only supports how Rojak would do it. Have you actually experimented on the inner workings of the agp aperture? Or are you merely quoting some guys guide to bios settings? And if so what makes him the all knowing all seeing god of computers? Do you know him personally and has he shown you great miracles to make you such a believer?

18. Max_87

Max_87 Guest

Individual experience? Are they techies or miracle hunters? Do you believe in facts or opinions? Be scientific a bit man and do some research. I like his explanation so it must be right? That is so inane :D

Corsair and mushkin tech support refers to this guide, they have a tech support team called "RAM Guy". Even Abit refers to this guide too.

19. scotpig

scotpig Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X800XT 256mb
    What's that supposed to mean???
    ***Beavis & Butthead voice***
    "Are you threatening me?" hahahaha:D

20. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    i get better performence in games with it being set to 256 along with better bench scores.....
    it depends on how much memory ur cards got....and it also depends on how much ram ur system holdes say it should be 1/2 of system RAM, some 1/4. meaning a 1gig ram system should run at 256 aparture size................. At worst you won't notice any difference, at best you may notice a "smoother" frame rate
    or a decrease in "jerky" rendering.

like in huge and open levels in unreal u'll notice a slight choppiness in games when on lower...numbers....

to be sure never run a bench once reboot and run it more then three times coz score do vary depending on how ur system boots up....or picks on applications....

at least thats what i think currect me if im wrong...here

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004