Galaxy fx5900

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Skull66, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Skull66

Skull66 Member

GPU:
    sparkle gtx680
    G'day people, I have the subject card currently running at 440/820mhz starts artifacting at 820 after about 20 min in dfbhdts but runs stable at 800, box says that it has 700/800 mem, haven't removed chipsinks to try and see what rating chips are but it looks virtually the same as the card reviewed by HH except that my packaging make sno mention of fx and it was bought in december, have had no luck at all in flashing with different bioses, has anyone out there got the fx5950 from galaxy and is willing to share the bios? also looking for a copy of the gainward ultra/1100 bios to try for the higher standard clock speeds

2. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    what do you mean by box says 700/800 mem ??? is it 700 or 800 ??

with either of these memory speeds, it is obviously not a 5900nu, more likely a lower spec'd 5900 like a XT or SE or LX ????

some of the lower spec'd cards cannot be flashed with a 5950u bios without causing problems. !!! Mostly problems with the memory chips, because a 5950u stock memory speed is 950 and most lower spec'd 5900 cards get badly overstressed at that high
    a level!!

only safe and sure way to flash a 5900XT/SE/LX with a 5950u bios is to use a modified (underclocked) version!!!

3. neural net

neural net Guest

then whats the point?

4. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

the point is that once you boot up to your new 5950u and install the drivers for it, you can then overclock the GPU core to probably 500+ just like everybody else, and overclock the memory to 800+ depending only on quality and ns rating of memory fitted.!!! Some cards may go as high as 900 memory???

always remember the 5900XT card uses the same core as all other 59xx's, and that a 5950u bios increases the core volts and changes other parameters for your card!!

The XT card memory is always likely to be the weak spot, however starting with a underclocked 5950u bios, means on booting up immediately after a flash, you wont be overstressing any version of 5900!! You now have a much more stable card, which will overclock well and as we all know, will also run cooler at the overclocked speeds!!

To keep it simple, the main reason you start underclocked, is because nobody knows just how good or bad the memory fitted to any particular XT card actually is???

EDIT:

I keep posting this information all over the forum, and yet here we are again with someone asking why would a 5900XT owner want to flash his card with a 5950u bios.!!!

Answer always will be, to get the best out of his card that is possible !!! just like everybody else with their cards, whatever they are !!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004

5. Skull66

Skull66 Member

GPU:
    sparkle gtx680
    ok do you know where I can get a modified 5950 bios? what I mean is on the box the specs are printed, it says memory 700/800mhz 300million vertices, it says in big bold fx5900 no xt/se/le anywhere

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    modified 5950u bios's are not generally available because when I recently raised a new post on the topic of safe flashing of 5900XT type cards with 5950u bios's, it generated no real interest from anybody in the forum. !!

however because of a interest shown by Arraso earlier today, as a favour, I Emailed him a Nvidia Ref 5950u bios which I underclocked to 300/400/800, for him to tryout with his XT card??

However, as I posted originally when I raised the topic, if there is a genuine need for modified 5950u bios's, then they should be held at Mavke website, along with all the other bios's he has, and therefore available to anyone who wants them!!

the memory statement on the box of 700/800 doesn't make any real sense, but nomatter!! As I posted above, your card is of the XT variety!!

7. Skull66

Skull66 Member

GPU:
    sparkle gtx680
    any chance you could email me the same bios please? My email addy is skull66athotmaildotcom

8. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I have just Emailed it to you!!

within the zip file you will find, nv595m48.bin.!!

just flash it in the same way you would any other bios file, using nvflash v4.41.

nvflash -u -p nv595m48.bin

9. Bibo

Bibo Active Member

GPU:
    X-Micro GeForce FX 5900
    jimmor,

would you please email it to me too - bibo01atlibero.it

Thanks

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb