Switched my GF2pro for a 9800pro. Performance is worse ?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by zeep, Mar 28, 2004.

1. zeep

zeep Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
    I play a lot of Infiltration. A mod for Unreal Tournament (classic).
    I wanted a 9800pro so i could play with AA and at higer resolutions.

At this point, in opengl my 9800pro runs worse than the Geforce2pro did on the same resolution without AA.

Other games like MaxPayne2, Quake3, Call of Duty and UT2k4 demo do[/] have increased performance. So the 9800pro performs normal there. It's just Unreal Tournament that runs real bad compared to the GF2.

I uninstalled the GF2 the proper way. I'm good at that. After having tried / benchmarked / tweaked many different detonators (gf drivers) i can savely say not a bit of nvidia was left in my system when i installed the 9800.

Installed the 9800 with the cd it came with. Catalyst 3.10.
    I have left most 9800pro settings at default. I only adjusted refresh rates and turned vsync off for opengl.

Specs: A7V8X-X , athlon 2400+, win98se, 512 cas2 333mhz, sblive, Sapphire 9800pro with Catalyst 3.10.
    -No hardware conflicts.
    -Fastwrites are off.
    -AGP perture size is 256

I'm new to ATI btw. Always had GF upto now. If you have tips please post.

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Well this can happen due to many reasons.
    It may be bcoz of driver conflict. Even if you uninstall old geforce drivers some files remain which cause such problems when you install ATI cards.
    Did you used Driver Cleaner 2 to clean the remaining leftover files?
    If not do it.
    You have only 512 MB RAM so AGP aperture at 128 will give you better performance than 256.
    SOme games run better with Fast writes enabled.
    Get the 3.7 catalysts, They are the best drivers for 9800 pro for almost every game out there.
    I can guarantee you one thing ATI may be little slower( 1-5%) than current GF FX flagship cards in OpenGL but its not worse than GF2.

3. ColtIce

ColtIce Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X850XT
    I thought AA/AF didn't work with UT:classic.atleast they never worked right for me.

4. Yup, funky dud got it right there, the catalyst 3.7 are the best drivers for the Radeon 9800PRO, and give the best compatibility with the same...,

5. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    are you trying to run the classic UT in openGL or Direct3D?

6. the_cleric

the_cleric Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    i think he said open GL...that's **** for ATI cards in classic UT...better use direct 3d
    i think i had the same problem and i think i just switched back to direct 3d and everything was fine....

7. Breakout

Breakout Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800 GTX
    I can't really offer any suggestions other than what's already been said...but, I can say that I also still play the original UT, and I get very good fps (around a 150 or so) at 1280x1024. So, I don't think it's any sort of incompatibility with ATI cards.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  8. zeep

zeep Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
    Opengl. With chris dohnal's opengl renderer. The best performing ogl for ut. ( http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ )
    I've emailed him about it too btw. Tried all his suggested settings ( which were right already ) so no change there..

So you advise me to install 3.7 ? Right now i have 3.10 installed. Is 3.7 newer or older? ( i'm thinking 3.70 is abbreviated maybe? )

Uninstall 3.10 - Add remove programs - Uninstall 3.10 - Reboot - Select 'vga display driver' - Reboot - Install 3.7
    Is that right? Or must i download an util to remove driver leftovers too?

9. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Just run it in D3D if openGL doesn't work...to be honest, I never liked openGL much....besides CS, all the openGL games make me sick....but i could play fps on Direct3D games just fine, hours on end....so i don't know what's up with it..

10. Solaro

Solaro Guest

UT ogl doesnt work properly for me either no matter what drivers i use. Its a shame because u cant use the far better looking compressed textures with d3d :/