Mandrake 10 Out!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BFA, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

Well, your questions are not entirely clear to me, but I will gladly help however I can.
    Mandrake is available as a bootable cd, so you can try it before tinkering with any of your hard drives. I'd recomend this to be sure you will like the enviroment.
    Once you decide to install mandrake to your hdd, there are 3 cd's. You only absolutely need the first one. The other two are additional software, with some nice treats. If your downloading, keep checking different mirrors, I don't usually get releases the day they come out, but I got very lucky in a wicked fast mirror.
    once you burn the iso's, boot from the cd. it'll take you through the install. If your any kind of a windows power user you should have no problems. It'll take about 1/2 an hour tops for your specs.
    From there you should be able to get into a desktop enviroment, Kde or gnome are the best two, you can select adefault on install. I personally use kde.
    Once your in, kde, mozilla and netscape are available to surf the net, as is lynx and epiphany. Some are small and fast, some are suites. Kde also acts as a file browser, and image/video/mp3 player. Evolution is very similar to outlook as an email client. Lots of nice features in all the packages.
    All your browsers are mozilla based, so if you install a flash plugin to mozilla, it plugs in all of them.
    From there you should really play with the stuff you have, see what you like, and don't like. your browser and email features will stick if you switch from kde to gnome, and the others.
    The nice feature is if you want to add a user, they have the entire desktop\email\browser enviroment to customize, without interfering with your stuff.

2. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    Okay, i cant boot from the CD, i unzipped the CD1 and CD2 iso and burned them that way since i only use WinXp Burning prog.
    I got to install with a Bootdisk But is says that the CD im using is not a valid Mandrake CD. It asks if i want to use a different CD, i select no.
    It then says i need an "Additonal Drivers disk" and asks if i want to continue. Then it asks for something else (i forget) and gives me a list of *.ko files to choose from.

After i select a random file since i dont know what one to use it asks for parameters.
    The Chosing of a *.ko file and setting parameters might be vise-versa.

3. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

unzipped?
    if you download an iso, it's essentially an image of the cd, that image should burn into a file tree, including a boot sector.
    there should be no unzipping or anything, just load the iso into your burning program and it'll make the disk. I forget if windows burns iso's

4. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    Yeah i figured that out :p
    Thx for ur help.

5. thelorder

thelorder Guest

do any of you know if the tarretec sound card will work with mandrake 10.

I have always liked linux and its stability, also less chance of viruses.

6. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

If mandrake didn't I'd be surprised, but a quick search at sourceforge would probably find what your looking for.

7. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    Maybe it's me, but I'm having problems with it. First off the CD won't boot, fine I made a bootable disk and installed from there. During install it asked for a 4th CD (addition stuff) which I didn't have, no problem, so I continue to install Linux. During the installation I notice that it didn't asked me what destop I wanted and whe it finish installing and rebooted into Linux all I get is the terminal or Command promt screen. Is there a command I can type to get the destop??

8. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

startx will get you to a gui, it did ask if you wanted to auto boot into that.

9. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    Thnaks for the help. When I install 9.2 it asked if I wanted to boot into the GUI, but when I upgraded to 10 it didn't ask me. I assume that it took the settings from 9.2

10. GRamirez

GRamirez Active Member

ahhh

my new custom built comp doesn't have a cd-rw. :( I love linux, guess i'm going to have to buy from mandrake directly.

11. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    On a plus note, at least your supporting them. =)

12. Elleomea

Elleomea Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9)
    Re: ahhh

If you're geeky enough you can do a network install over the internet from a couple of floppy disks with Debian (Not recommended for newbies/idiots/etc.)

13. nonprophets

nonprophets Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT @ 410 core & 1010 Mem
    I d/l'ed mandrake 10 but its not in iso format, i have all the files and folders. how should i burn them? which folders on which cd?

14. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    You know if you use a distro a bit, you should buy it -- It'll be a lot cheaper than windows.
    These companies do a lot of work that helps linux development and most of them aren't in very good financial states. We loose the companies we loose a lot of innovation and userfriendly ways to get linux (never tried to build linux without a distro, though I did use some pre-GUI versions of slack and that was hard).
    This is why SuSE has had to all but eliminate free downloads.

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You can do a FTP of SUSE. I'm not sure know that Novel has bought them though......

16. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    You can do an ftp, but its not the same product as teh Cd version.

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    No, not at all. Plus it takes a while.

Fedora is also good as well, it's currently ranked as being second by Distrowatch.
    And catching up to Mandrake pretty quickly.

I think Mandrake are making a few bad decisions or something because there haven't been as many people buying Mandrake as there used to be..... one of the people I work with, he payed for the DVD version of Mandrake, and he said there was too many problems, with installing, plus when he got into the OS etc......

So he's switched to a differen't Distro now.

18. GRamirez

GRamirez Active Member

I want to get mandrake powerpack because on the website it says it has driver support for the nforce2 and ati radeon 9600xt. Does this at all matter? What if i download fedora, will it work on my system without problems?

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You can never be certain it will work without problems.

It may, or may not.

The first release of Fedora didn't work with my 9800Pro, I'm hoping this release does.

20. nonprophets

nonprophets Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT @ 410 core & 1010 Mem
    hey can someone help me out???? the problem is posted right above.