Windows update hangs after scanning computer

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Gump, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    I just did I clean install of Win XP Pro and when I go to the Windows update site for "critical updates" the computer is very slow to finish the scan and then will hang if you click on any of the "review and install" sections. It appears that it is attempting to pull up the next page then it times out (after about 3 minutes) and I get the generic "could not find web page". I have DSL and my connection is fine. This is only when trying to pull files from windows update. This is my 3rd clean install. I have also tried it after downloading and installing SP1a and had the same problem at windows update. I would greatly appreaciate any help.

Since someone is bound to ask: This is a legitimit copy of XP Pro and not one using the warez key.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  2. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    ok after 20 more tries I see it gives an error that it cannot display any driver updates. Then it won't let me install any updates it did find.

3. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    call your isp, they might have done something stupid

4. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Funny thing is: my other computer I have networked on a wireless router is fine... I even moved the base from my old computer to the new one and I was still good on the old comp, but the new one still hangs. I can eliminate my router and ISP as the problem since the old comp is still good.
    I have reinstalled Java VM as well as Visual Basic 6. I would reinstall IE 6, but I can't uninstall it. This is driving me nuts. I manually install 41 of 43 critical updates and have no idea what the last 3 are. OK when I said Funny at the start what I relly meant was not at all funny, really big pain in the a$$.

5. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    I know bad math and bad spelling, but I can't seem to edit right now.

6. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

clean your cache, and your cookies. clean out your temp directory in c:/windows and the windows update folder under c:/program files. then take a shot at it.

7. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Still no joy.
    I have cleared the cache and cookies;
    Set all IE settings to default,
    and been through 15 other steps to try and fix this. I did manage to get it to show me the required updates so I can manually download and install. I will keep working on this and post back if I ever get it fixed. There is just too much that I have done to post all the steps. Thanks anyway.

8. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

There is also a way to load the required files on a cd and install them that way.

9. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    I am still not getting the windows update to agree with my computer but have found a solution that is better than the MS update disk which is only current through OCTOBER 2003.
    This site Packages the Windows updates and updates monthly (Free).
    AutoPatcher
    You need to have SP1 or SP1a already installed and I believe this is curently only for the English distributions of Windows OS's.

10. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Resolved

Well the short of it is:
    Once I used the AutoPatcher to update Windows XP, then the Windows Update site started working.
    Apparently one of the updates is a good work-around for the crappy script that is the power behind Windows Update.