FX5700U Overclocking = WORSE performance...HELP!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xphyle, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Xphyle

Xphyle Guest

Been scouring this forum trying to find answers to my problem, but to no avail, so hopefully someone can offer some help.

Just got a Asylum FX5700 Ultra. Downloaded and installed both the 53.03 XQ (first) and the 53.03X (second) drivers to see which would give me better 3dMark 2001 scores.

Anyway, I've tried overclocking this card from the stock settings to 540/1GHZ and the card is completely stable and passes the test mode for this speed. However, I'm getting WORSE 3DMark 2001 scores with this card overclocked than running at stock clocking. How can this be? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Xphyle

2. neural net

neural net Guest

you overclocked too much, performance decreasing because of errors in the rendering process.

3. Xphyle

Xphyle Guest

Then why am I not receiving any graphical anomolies? Everything looks great with no graphical glitches, etc. Can anyone offer any assistance? In addition, it would seem that I am overclocking significantly less that most other people with this card from what I have researched. My card temperature hovers around the low 50's C at those speeds.

Regards,

Xphyle

4. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    well, i can't explain the slowdown.... but 3dmark ain't everything, why overclock to get a better score, if you can play your games alright?? Just food for thought......

5. neural net

neural net Guest

just because you don't see artifacts doesn't mean its all fine and dandy. if you overclock too much, there can be errors, which will cause the card to repeat some process. thus it is slower because the failed process must be repeated.

i suggest you start over. run benchmark at default clock speeds. then, overclock by 10mhz increments on both the core & ram, and run the benchmark again. keep doing this until your score decreases instead of increases, then go back to the previous clock with the highest score.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2004
  6. Xphyle

Xphyle Guest

Ok, this is CRAZY. Check out these numbers from 3DMark2001SE at these speeds and tell me how the hell this makes sense:

475/906 = 9029
    501/906 = 8893
    513/917 = 8944
    522/929 = 8947
    533/941 = 8964
    542/953 = 8998
    550/965 = 8998

Why the hell is my DEFAULT settings yielding better 3DMark scores than my OVERCLOCKED settings?!?!?!

Stumped,

Xphyle

7. ClownTurd

ClownTurd Guest

How about trying Aquamarks?

8. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    How many times did you try each setting?It does not seem right.If you find the sweetspot for your card,by rights it should proform better.The errors will slow down proformance even if artifacting is not present.I believe this was stated earlier.

9. NIB

NIB Master Guru

It throttles. When you run the benchmark, temperature on your graphic card raises and then the card throttles down to lower temperature(thus performs slower).

Temperature on idle means nothing. Temperature after you started running the benchmark can also means nothing(it could be after the card has throttled down or before the card got hot enough).

Get better cooling inside your case(more/bigger fans and better airflow) and lower room temperature(if its hot where you live) or just dont overclock.

10. neural net

neural net Guest

is vsync on? those scores are so close it seems vsync is limiting your framerate. force it off in both Direct3d and OpenGL with RivaTuner or nVHardPage. try again.

11. Yeah aren't those scores really really LOW for 5700U? You've got other problems beside OC. You should definitely beat my non-oc ti4200 score, right?

Go through the checklist : Chipset drivers, windows updates, cpu overclocking, ram usage/pagefile etc etc.

12. NIB

NIB Master Guru

Well it depends. 3dmark 2001 is very overal system dependent. If he has like crappy cpu/mobo/ram, his score could be normal. He might also have aa/af/vsync/quality on(which is the most likely case).

13. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    Xphyle - i have an albatron 5700 non ultra, and i have replaced the stock cooling with some otehr stuff (nothing crazy) and here's the thing.

i CAN egt my card up to 561/690. but when i do, my scores go down. it took me about a week but my sweet spot is 526/651. my scores in 3dmark01 are 14666. and in 3dmark03, its 4003. those are ultra level scores! woohoo. and you just need to try to find your sweet spot.