SoftFireGl Works for 7.97 Dell drivers with Rivatuner 14.3!!!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by mongoled, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    C3D X800 GTO @ XT800 (580/580)
    Hello continuing from the thread started by JoeJoe, id like to confirm that rivatuner latest version also works with the Dell newest drivers.

Everything works as expected, Ive played my games and done a bit of work in Softimage looking good so far. Also done some benching and I must say the driver set looks very good on the nature tests in both 3dmark01 and 3dmark03!

Only problem Im having and this isnt related to the firegl hack is that raycast selection in softimage is still not fixed!

Thanxs again Unwinder

mongoled

2. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    Well, I am not so sure about what you are telling...
    First, the patches report that it does'nt work
    Second, the benchmarks you are using are made for DirectX9... That's the same in Catlyst or FireGL
    Third, did you try tols like GLinfo to be SURE that the OPENGL renderer is a FireGL?

3. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

GPU:
    980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G
    I'd stick with the 7.88 with XSI, cause those are the last certified drivers for it. The latest drivers don't really have much changes, mostly new protections and some fixes for other apps.

As for the raycast bug, that doesn't appear in any driver for FireGLs, so like JoeJoe said, you have probably not been able to patch it entirely. Or if you can get it, try the latest version XSI 3.5.1.1 which has fixed the issue with regular Radeons and Cats 3.10+ also

4. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    Hi guys,

Just a couple of things, first of all, if the patch reports that it doesnt work but it is not saying it is a FATAL error then there is a chance that it is working. This is what Unwinder says on the website were he wrote the original article (if you want a linky I will look for you and post it).

Second, I will run some SpecviewPerf benchmarks and post my results.

I need to test the XSI official supported drivers to see if the raycast bug is there with those. I have them on my hard drive but havnt patched them yet.

Here is a piccy with screenshots from AIDA,GLInfo and ATI Control Panel. JoeJoe, seeing that these driver sets use the openGl driver for acceleration (look at the tick box which enables one to disable) it is likely that GLinfo will register a opengl driver rather then a firegl driver. If you have any info which i can check in the app which will gives me a 100% proof that the firegl driver is not working let me know.

[​IMG]

Right gonna check for the latest version of specviewPerf.

L8rz

-EDIT-

I have just run SpecviewPerf 7.1.1, the results prove that my thread post was too premature. The scores were way too low to be a firegl card. Just to put things to perspective, my 9500 modded to a firegl clocked amost double the scores in all disciplines witha substantial lower clock then the benchmark I have just run.

I will mod the official drivers L8r on as to get a better comparisson.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004

5. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

GPU:
    980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G
    Sorry dude, but you don't have a FireGL there... Look in the 'Renderer' line in GlView, it says 'Radeon 9800 (also in the 'chip type' in AIDA). Those should say FireGL if the conversion was successful.

6. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    Yes Gamma,

As i said in my post, just above (thats if u read it?????) that it hasnt been a successful mod and that my post was premature.

If u are going to say something at least be a bit more constructive rather then say things that I have already agreed with.

Im gonna mod the official drivers right now and test them out, results soon.

I have a request for some helpful information, does anybody know what the X2 4 pipeline mode is for? Is this used to patch 9800 pro cards with 128MB of memory? I know these cards have 8 rendring pipelines, but can someone see what im getting at.

mongoled

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  7. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

GPU:
    980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G
    You should read your own posts before you wonder whether others have read 'em. You wanted proof that your conversion wasn't working, and i tried to point out how you can find out if a mod is working or not. Poor performance in SPECViewPerf is no proof. Even correctly modded cards can give poor performance in that depending on your drivers and CPU.

Since you obviously don't have a clue about the whole mod process, you should learn from what people post to help you and not behave like an ass if someone points out your mistakes.

Or better yet, stick with the FreeFireGL driver set and spare us all the misery of being 'constructive' enough for your tastes.:rolleyes:

8. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    Wasting my time to answer your rude and derogatory post simply puts me in a position where I drop down to your level.
    But so be it, you may think that because you spend some time trying to help others that it gives you a right to be insulting and rude to other posters. That is not the case.

The few things I will point out in this post will be my last on the subject; it is down to the reader to make their own conclusions on who is in your own words behaving 'like an ass'. Do you usually insult people who are physically in front of you? I guess not so why do you do it in this forum.
    If you are not able to have opposing opinions with a different person without being single minded and non-constructive then please refrain from posting in my threads.

I will now show why I am taking this stance from evidence available in the thread above. Shall we start?

I started this thread thinking that I had managed to get the Dell 7.97 drivers working with the tools offered to us by Unwinder and some inf/dat file editing I did myself. Unfortunately I was mistaken.

This is right ABOVE your next post, and what do YOU say,

Let’s just dissect exactly what you have written.
    Fair enough, but on the contrary the only person who seems to not be able to 'read' correctly is yourself, that’s why I cannot understand that if you had read my post and understood it, especially the end where I ADMIT my mistake (the -EDIT- part
    isn’t exactly written in complex terminology) your post should not have been as it was it makes no sense. Continuing your remarks,

I took YOUR advice (and JoeJoe's) and re-assessed my post and found that I had indeed been mistaken (explained above). Why else do you think that i re-assessed my post?? Continuing....

'Poor performance in SPECViewPerf is no proof'. I’ve got to laugh at this line, I can understand what you are TRYING to say, I agree that SPECViewPerf BY ITSELF is no proof, but this is not what you have written. If you’re phrasing of the sentence was, 'Correctly modded cards can give poor performance in SPECViewPerf due to a hardware constraint or the users’ inability to correctly install drivers.', then I would agree, but you didn’t.

This is the first element of your post where you are making assumptions about the poster which can be interpreted (as I have) as being quite insulting. How on earth do you know what my skills are and what they aren’t? Are you psychic, a medium, or just plain guessing?

Here comes the next 'insult'......

Again, how do you know about this??

But I HAVE learned, I went and investigated the things JoeJoe and yourself suggested and posted my findings, what more did you want? A signed confession of my guilt? As for behaving 'like an ass', you came to this conclusion because of this?

If their is a person behaving 'like an ass' here it is you (could well be me due to the fact that I am spending way too much time doing this :))

Now for my rant, it is people like you who really annoy me. You don’t have a clue who you are talking with but still think it’s ok to make assumptions about a person, based on no real evidence what so ever. When a remark is made pointing out your deficiencies as a poster your only solution is to attack. Why?? I can’t understand the mentality of people who share this disposition. Its clear to me that you like to help people just by looking at some of your posts, but to start attacking me just because I asked you to be more constructive in your posts makes no sense.

Sad as it may be I have saved this webpage to hard disk because through my experience of forum posting the first port of call for a poster who has been made to look a little inept is to backtrack and edit there posts (yes, I know, im sad doing this).

My apologies to people who may read this. I should chillout, but just couldn’t.

mongoled

9. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    Whoo!!! So much for that... Be quiet guies, that's surely not usefull to say such stuffs...

Generally chen I want to see if a firegl driver is patchable, I simply use Softfiregl scripts... If there is an error the most probably reason is that the patch does'nt work on that version... But it is true we can try to install them.

That's Why I use GLinfo (found on nvworld.ru, on softfiregl webpage)

If it's Firegl Opengl renderer, then the driver recognizes the card as a firegl
    If it's Radeon Opengl renderer, the driver use the normal catalyst Opengl renderer: No specific acceleration.

Well, that's in fact really simple to know if it works or not... :)

but you can try to "tweak" the 7.97 drivers, to try to let them work. but I think that driver got some new protections, and therefore is not patchable yet.

mongoled , you're not guilty about something bad, you just jumped from happyness too early. By the way, some searches in that forum would have help you see that lots of people already report that these drivers are not patchable yet.

But I know that searching for some info is not as easy as it appears... So I think the best thing to do for now is to install a driver version that works (7.88 or 7.93) and do some XSI (I personnaly am doing a formula 1...)
    And wait for a new patch (But for now, it works for me, so I am not unpatient...)

10. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    Hi JoeJoe,

Ive dropped back to the 7.93 drivers, seem to be working fine. I hammered a few benches on SpecviewPerf and am happy with the results.

Just a little thing to remember if you use SpecviewPerf is that if u install the ati control panel to make sure Vsyns is set to 'always off'.

It took me a while to find out why me tests results ran be4 control panel installation were less. Then i realised that one of the result was always 85 which is my refresh rate, doh :)

I still have the raycast bug though, switching to 16bit fixes it. Oh a bit of information if you can be off help, JoeJoe. When using max6 I have found that the directx driver works better then the firegl driver when using a high polygon model. Is this correct?

I have the firegl driver table in max and have chosen the atiogl6 file. The model i have is just over 22,000 polygons. I have used the firegl driver found in the 7.96 and 7.93 driver sets and the result is the same, so im looking for other peoples experience with this.

mongoled

11. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    I will check that in the next hours... But it seems that D3D has better performances in max than opengl... I already reed that somewhere...

Meanwhile, the display in Opengl seems for me a bit clearer especilly for anti-aliasing...

For the raycast bug, (sorry but sometimes simple and stupid actions are forgotten... ;)) did you choose the XSI preset? Because since I softfiregl my card, I do not have that bug...

12. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    JoeJoe,

Guess what the raycast bug has now gone :). The only thing I have changed is uninstalled norton antivirus and put on Kaspersky.

Could be user error, that I was forgetting to put it on 'XSI' in the configuration tab.

Also di u have any idea what to look for in the registry for settings to enable the tabs in the firegl control panel? My housemate has a AIW 9800SE, and we have modded it to a fireGl Z2 but he has the configuration tab missing. GLinfo reports that it is a fireGl so i need to figure out if I can enable the tab manually.

Im gonna look into it right now, just wanted to see if you had any ideas.

Thanxs for your feedback

:cool:

-EDIT-

Ive found the registry keys and enabled a few like the maxx one :) but i havnt figured out which one is the for the configuration tab.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  13. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    for the tab, you can try tio uninstall the driver, use driver cleaner (see on page 1) and reinstall the drivers correctly (already patched, or use freefiregl)

some people reported that with a fresh install, the configuration tab appears... give it a try.

I personnaly am not very found of editing the registry... So I can't help you with that...

Good luck ...

PS: For max 6, I will see that a bit later... i don't have it anymore on my computer...

14. mongoled

mongoled Guest

GPU:
    Well i used free firegl for the mod on his card.

Its very frustrating, I have found settings for alot of the other things in the control panel but not for configuration tab. This is looking on my system where i have the tab available.

I have been disabling things which may be this tab but I am having no luck so far finding it.

As for the driver cleaner method we have laready tried that twice.

thanxs again for your help.

mongoled

15. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7300GT
    Firegl "Z2" are experimental... And maybe are not really supported by the driver itself. That could explain that you don't have configuration tab (in fact you should have all catalyst tabs, but no Firegl Tab).

Try to change the card into a Z1, (but you need to use SoftFiregl Patches, and not freeFiregl...)

Do not forget to see which PCI device ID the card has

Use rivatuner for that, go to customize, grphic subsystemdiagnostic report
    and look in the part "$ffffffffff Display adapter information"

The ID you need is called "$0000000002 Device ID : 4e48" <--- That ID is a radeon 9800 pro

for 9800 se it could be 4e49 or 4e48
    I bet the AIW your housemate has is a 4E49 ... ;)