Nvidia to ATi

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mickd, Jan 13, 2004.

1. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    Changed the old GF Ti-4600 for the HIS 9800 pro IceQ today....removed Nvidia drivers thru 'add/remove programes', ran Detonator RIP, THEN, Driver Cleaner.....turned off & swapped cards, powered up, installed 3.10's & it's all go !! no problems !
    (for those thinking about changing to ATI) :p

2. Shinjiku

Shinjiku Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga SC 3 GB 660Ti
    good choice now u gotta change ur profile to say u have a radeon 9800 pro ;p

3. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    how ?

4. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    just did

5. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    what did you do with your Ti-4600? If you still have it then keep it, thats a sweet little card u have there. a little bit dated, but still holds its own. Maybe think about building a second pc

6. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    every person should have 1 backup card.
    the sweetest card i owned was GF3 ti 200 before i moved to 9700 non pro.
    I have sold my 9700 but i love my GF3 too much to give it away or sell it.
    It still sits on my shelf.
    That was the card that served my the longest in my pc life :) 1 and half years. :)

7. Kleggas

Kleggas Master Guru

GPU:
    Hercules 9800 PRO 128Mb
    The longest a card have served me is a tnt2 I bought with my first PC (except for the family PC with the 2mb 2D card). Bought it when it was the newest on market, was it 4 or 5 years ago? Used in my parents computer when I bought a new one, and was used there untill a few months ago when they got my old gforce2mx. It had been used every day since I bought it 4 or 5 years ago. Now thats a great card :)

It still works just aint in use

8. ceesay

ceesay Guest

i got the same card as you.and love it gr8 oc too runs soooo cool and did you get free hl2 game??whit the card.. i did..so good luck whit the card..:)

9. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    gunna keep the Ti-4600, probably build up a second pc....seem to have most of one in replaced parts................it could be my imagination but my PC seems to boot up MUCH faster now ?

10. mattadki

mattadki Guest

m

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2004

11. Grov

Grov Guest

So whats the difference, between the cards? notice anything drastic?

12. mattadki

mattadki Guest

there are no drastic differences

here are my highest 3dmark scores

3dMark 03

5700 Ultra-3791 no overclocking
    9600 XT - 3751 overdrive enabled

3dMark01

5700 Ultra-11460 no overclocking
    9600 XT-11459 overdrive enabled

the biggest difference that i have seen is on the pixel shader 2.0 test on 3dmark 03 - the ati runs it about 10-15fps higher but that is the only major difference that i have seen, on all the other tests the 5700 ultra has a higher framerate, and in the battle of proxycon test the framerate is significantly higer and much smoother with the 5700 ultra, probably because of the 900mhz ram

all tests were run using default settings

another reason that i like the nvidia better is because i have seen more random crashes and some artifacts with bf1942 and call of duty with the radeon

my userid on futuremark.com is also mattadki

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004
  13. Grov

Grov Guest

I don't care about bechmarks, and i meant to the dude with the 9800Pro!;)

14. zipppie

zipppie Guest

I did something similar to that...got a 9800xt and HL2 coupon out of the deal...I'm not proud of it, but I've purged my concience now by admitting it to the world (just don't tell BB)...and I wouldn't trade my 9800xt for anything!!
    Its BB's fault for not knowing the difference between a 9800pro and a 9800xt........right?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2004
  15. mattadki

mattadki Guest

my sentiments exactly......:rolleyes:

16. Vapour_ND

Vapour_ND Guest

Hey Matt --

Now why can't I remember to do things like that?! Well done. You probably ended up actually getting your money's worth.

Vapour_ND

17. david _o07

david _o07 Guest

"there are no drastic differences

here are my highest 3dmark scores

3dMark 03

5700 Ultra-3791 no overclocking
    9600 XT - 3751 overdrive enabled

3dMark01

5700 Ultra-11460 no overclocking
    9600 XT-11459 overdrive enabled "

that's odd maybe there's something wrong with your 9600xt.
    the 9600xt suppose to beat 5700fx ultra ,
    specially with aa and af with recent and future games. because

did you remember to use the 3mark03 patch which diasable cheats in nvidia drivers that disable cheats and drops nvidia scores down by as much as 1000 points!

and if you used new beta drivers which cheats and degrades image quality to increase scores than that doesn't really count does it?

it's like having 2 cars racing, 1 is actually slower than the other and cheats by taking shortcuts and different routes than their supposed to, just to win or catch up!

in recent articles they show 9600xt winning and sometimes wins by as much as double with aa and af specially in new games compare to 5700fx ultra !

not to mention ati has more crisp and vibrant image quality in 2d!

check it out :

9600xt and 5700fx ultra benchmarks

or

image quality

18. mattadki

mattadki Guest

to david_o07

i trust my own benchmarks over ANYONE else's, the first page that you linked doesn't even tell what the game is, it just says next generation direct x 9 game....kind of vague don't you think

there is nothing wrong with either of the cards, as far as image quality both of the cards are equal

i can find several benchmarks online, some have the geforce in front and others have the ati in front, but like i said before, there is no major difference in the two cards, and as far as antialiasing or antistropic filtering goes, i don't think either card is powerful enough to enable it very high because you take too much of a performance hit when setting these to max

in either case the ati is NEVER twice as good, not even close

but hey, its a free country, think what you want....i have both cards and i know for sure that what i am saying is true and my eyes aren't playing tricks on me

19. david _o07

david _o07 Guest

actually if you read the rest of the article, it benchs with 3dmark03 with the patch that disables cheats in nvidia drivers
    and benchs many game titles also!

in 3dmark03 with the disable cheats patch nvidia's 5700fx ultra looses bigtime and in almost all game titles new and old the 5700fx ultra looses by as much as double in some tests!

that's why nvidia cheats because they want newbies to thinking nvidia cards are good in 3dmark03, until they play games with aa and af , then they know how bad nvidia cards really are

so let me ask you again did you use the patch or not?

did you try benching using both aa and af?
    that's where ati shines and leaves nvidia in the dust!

did you use the new drivers which aren't certified yet by 3dmark03 ?

while the latest ati drivers are certified.

so all benches using un certified drivers or
    cheat drivers which degrades image quality aren't valid

here's some games in that article :

game benchs

or this one with 3DMARK03 ,with aa and af ati wins in almost all tests and sometimes almost as much as double :

3DMARK03 with aa and af

this is what your scores supposed to look like with 9600xt and 5700 fx ultra when you disable cheats in nvidia drivers and use the 3dmark03 patch340 :

3DMARK03 WITH disable cheats PATCH 340 for 9600xt and 5700fx ultra

20. david _o07

david _o07 Guest

please stop smoking to much dope it seems you don't like to read or are to high to read

and if you read my previous posts carefully and stop getting high,
    you would realized I said "sometimes wins as much as double "

I don't trust your benchmark because your to high to think straight, you probably didn't even use the patch or you used new drivers which aren't certified and probably has cheats which changes codes in 3dmar03 ,
    just like what nvidia's being caught doing before also.

many recent articles that used the patch or disable cheats shows ati winning and sometimes by as much as double!

if you can't read properly and don't really understand what I said in my posts then it's obvious I can't trust your judgements and benchmarks ,
    I'm not calling you a liar but I don't trust your judgement , and that could cause you to forget about using a patch to disable cheats, etc.

remember drugs will fry your brains!