The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I noticed something I've never seen before with the Nvidia Driver FPS Limiter in the DX12 mode for this game (driver cap set to 40 FPS). Typically when monitoring with the default RTSS settings (eg measuring frame start) and using the Nvidia limiter the frame start timings are extremely accurate. Basically as accurate as RTSS almost.

But in this game specifically if I cap the framerate with the driver the frame times are oscillating constantly even when reaching the cap. It's as though it's behaving more like an in-engine limiter (I have been avoiding using the in-engine limiter as when capping to lower framerates it does not look very smooth in my tests and seems to have periodic lurches the external limiters minimize). This does not happen when I cap with RTSS which still reports very accurate frame start timings.

Anyone else see this with the driver limiter or just me? Have never seen this happen in any other game. Will do more testing after work and I'll triple check my RTSS settings frametime reporting settings.

EDIT: Retested this and it's definitely repeatable with in-game v-sync ON + g-sync or using control panel v-sync with g-sync. RTSS still works normally of course. It almost looks like Nvidia is setting the game's in-engine limiter to a custom value for this game. Unsure, but I've not seen this behavior before for the nvidia limiter in other games. Also happens with reflex on or off and with prefer max perf on or off. I double check RTSS that it was measuring frame start as usual. Side note what this user mentions here: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=8371 about seeing camera animation stutter in some games despite having a perfectly flat frametime graph then fixing it with in-game v-sync over control panel v-sync. I have seen that occur in some titles like the Metro Exodus RT rerelease. Tentatively I'm seeing that behavior in the witcher 3 now as well where if I pan the camera and look at a tall pole or tree or something in the distance there does seem to be a reduction in weird camera jitter if I use in-game v-sync + g-sync rather than control panel v-sync + g-sync. I only tested this in one scene though so it's something that I'll need to look at further.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Kamil950 likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Viper set, one of best in the game imo. Only grandmaster wolven is better.
    Looks rad, has good resistance (just gotta watch out for maces cause that'll kill you instantly) and great crit stats + poison,
    Had mine enchanted for light set perks plus both swords for +1s potion duration with every landed hit - endless whirl using blizzard is the best thing you can have in combat, no question. once you reach 3 adr points you're unstoppable.
    Will start B&W soon, see how long the legendary Viper will hold up until I'll need to upgarde my wolven set to grandmaster for that crazy bleeding perk. Might just try to use the Viper set right until the final boss fight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

coc likes this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    gm bear build+alchemy turns you into a tank, griffin turns you into an overpowered mage, manticore you're not even engaging close combat just critting everyone with split bombs (cool as hell tho), feline + arachas decoction you're killing everything before they react and taking little damage, wolven set + all round red (fast/bleed/adrenaline/sunder armor)+green (high toxicity tolerance + crit/mutagen perks) + blue (aard freeze + quen knockdown) is by far the most fun to play with though, no one way to approach combat. Using wolf over viper since puffball + superior oriole is incredible for healing in close range combat. using +1s potion time for hit on both blades, posession on armor (cool as hell and effective for those pesky archers), superior blizzard+adr for limitless whirl and ancient leshen decoction+ superior petri's philter for absolute meyhem with aard and quen knockdown.
    No game I ever played allows you to go this deep into exploring how a few skills/tricks work wonders when used together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    CPC_RedDawn, pedropaulo and Krizby like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    CPC_RedDawn, pedropaulo and Havel like this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Do later driver then 512.15 better performance of Witcher 3 in DX12 mode? I installed the game to test it out and launcher complained about out dated drivers. 1080p with RT off barely keeps 60fps and has no wiggle room, IF i use FSR2 quality it hits 60 fps, with maybe 10-20 wiggle room, but i swear alot of game look blurry even when i turn off stuff like depth of field

I know my 1070ti old but it should have more wiggle room then this?

6. lawood

lawood Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I'm actually playing this game for the 1st time, 50 hours in with previous driver release (not the one with a million open issues).

Only 2 crashes so far and performance is great. I'm using DLSS (Swapped for the latest version) with all ultra and I'm pegged at 120 fps most of the time, even cities (5800x3d + 3070 ti + 32gb)

The crashes are related to mods I'm 99% sure, have more than 50 installed and thats bound to cause some issues.

7. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    depends what build are you playing. since im more into slashing and melee combat without the use of potions\signs only if i have to.. i would rank the highest
    the grandmaster bear along with - aerondight + enchanting the heavy gear and making it act as light armor + severance for your range. this is at least how i played on my last campaign.
    i think the bear armor also looks miles better than the rest.. but that's just me.

8. octoreach

octoreach Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    @cucaulay malkin, where did you encounter those skeletons with swords? Looks like Toussaint but I've also played all the game and the expansions but I can't for anything remember ever encountering this type of opponent, like in your screenshot. Either it's not the most memorable one, or rare and I didn't meet them :)

Is this a mod or which quest line or area are they found in?

[​IMG]

9. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Go to tesham mutna and have fun, the banshee spawns every day and night.

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Bear is good but a one trick pony with heavy attack focus. Some enemies are much easier with fast attacks + bleeding or signs, medium set like Viper or Wolf gives you more flexibility. Id say Griffin is better than both but its so OP I'm not even counting it.

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Patch 4.03 Release Notes

PC-SPECIFIC
    • Fixed an issue with ray-traced vegetation shadows “popping”, depending on Geralt’s proximity and angle.
    • Fixed an issue where repeatedly disabling and enabling ray-traced reflections and shadows could cause black shadows to appear at the edge of objects.
    • Addressed the issue where the DirectX 11 version of the game could crash on launch or after loading a save on certain AMD GPUs.
    • Added support for Intel Xe Super Sampling, an upscaling technology that uses machine learning to improve performance and image quality.
    • Fixed some lighting issues with Screen Space Reflections when ray-traced global illumination is off.
    • Performance improvements to ray-traced global illumination and ray-traced reflections.
    • Fixed an issue where purple splashes could appear on the screen when riding Roach through puddles of water.
    VISUAL – PC and Next-Gen Exclusive
    • Fixed an issue where a grid of light spots could appear on the ground and walls in certain weather conditions with Ray Tracing enabled.
    • Spider webs will no longer change color when moving the camera with Ray Tracing enabled.
    • Fixed an issue where some textures on characters during cutscenes would appear as not fully rendered.
    • Through Time and Space – Fixed an issue where the mist in the Poisoned Valley was pink instead of white.
    QUESTS & GAMEPLAY – PC and Next-Gen Exclusives
    • Added the community-made mod Next Gen Script Fixes by Sergeanur.
    QUESTS & GAMEPLAY – Available on all platforms
    • In the Eternal Fire’s Shadow – The ambient music from the quest will no longer continue playing after completion. For players who have already experienced this issue, it may be necessary to enter the Novigrad or Oxenfurt sewers again to resolve it.
    • Added an option to auto-apply oils in combat.
    • With the exception of potions and decoctions, it’s now impossible for Geralt to eat or drink underwater. // While the team agreed it might be possible to drink liquids from a corked flask, consuming pints of ale or grilled meats underwater is too much of a stretch.

pharma, ZebMacahan, OnnA and 2 others like this.
  12. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Cool, maybe this year hairworks hair will be properly lit and cast shadows with RT.

13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    finally XeSS support for amd owners.

OnnA likes this.
  14. Slave2Games

Slave2Games Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 / 8GB
    Ryzen 3600 - RTX 3070 - 1440p
    Graphic Settings - Average FPS/Low 1% - Difference over Patch 4.02
    RT Ultra - DLSS Quality - Novigrad - 41/32 - 24% ↑
    RT Ultra - DLSS Quality - Skellige - 38/29 - 36% ↑
    Ultra - DLSS Quality - Novigrad - 76/57 - 9% ↑
    Ultra - DLSS Quality - Skellige - 103/71 - 8% ↑
    Low - DLSS Quality - Novigrad - 99/74 - 10% ↑

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

ZebMacahan likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is there a way to make steam not download the extra artbook, artwork, manual, map, soundtrack, wallpapers ?

I deleted them manually and that was fine until today getting the update, after the update I did the validate install, completely forgetting about the extra stuff and then it started downloading like 3 something gigabytes again.

17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    If anyone is getting compilation errors from the new update that have "...AutoApplyOil..." or "...C++..." near the end it may be caused by random mods. That's from the CDPR forums.

My suspect, although not proven yet, was a No Borders mod, so I removed it and no errors. It may not be the Auto Apply Oils mod or No Borders or any particular mod that always causes those errors. No one knows yet what or who is at fault.

Anyway most of you are probably used to isolating out of date or broken mods preventing the game from starting. So you may be past compilation errors by now if any for this patch.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    For me it was an Unlimited Durability mod that caused it.

19. lawood

lawood Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Is just me or death march is very easy?

I just made a new build for ng+, scaling enabled and I'm 1 shooting everything.

20. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i don't remember it being extremely easy. might be your build is simply too strong, some builds are.