Prey the one with tommy. Download.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vestibule, Mar 6, 2023.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    See the link and with in the story at the bottom are other suggested down loads.
    I quite liked this game the way it messed around with gravity.
    The game started off so well. In the empty pub with the duke box a gorgeous girl friend a a janitor grandfather.
    Then the roof flew off.

Prey HiDef V2.0 HD Remaster available for download (dsogaming.com)

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is the only Prey for me. I could not get into Arkane's remake which has nothing to do with the original and it was only carrying the name becouse Bethesda forced them to use it.

Still sad about Prey 2 cancelation.

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I've bought a key and completed it about two years ago. Absolute clusterf' but fun. Same as Doom3, EAX restoration mods make it sound absolutely overwhelming and unbalanced.

TheDigitalJedi and vestibule like this.
  4. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I remember using openal_soft for EAX - just a simple dll that can be renamed to OpenAL32.dll, dropped to Prey root folder alongside the executable. I think also the sound cvar must be set as s_useOpenAL "1". Strength of the effect can be then adjusted externally by creating local file "alsoft.ini" alongside the dll with content:
    [reverb]
    boost=-7

The bigger problem for me is the hardcoded 62.5 FPS cap in the engine, because back then Carmack used hardcoded integer(!) frametime value of 16 ms - which is also the source of microstutter at 60Hz (16 is not the same as 16.6666666). The saddest thing is that the engine is fully capable of using shorter frametimes and there are ways to unlock it properly, but you need source code for that and it was never released for Prey, just for Doom 3.

TheDigitalJedi, AsiJu and vestibule like this.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No need for eax tweak, it works, at least on my oldie xfi hd.

But agree 61fps limit is terrible now that I got use to 144hz/fps

Speaking of this mod, language is ok, seen some comments at moddb it's spanish.

And the game now uses up to 7.3GB vram at 1620p, goes trough loading 2x :D

TheDigitalJedi, vestibule and Undying like this.
  6. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Tried out the mod at 4K not sure if I would ever play the full game again but this is what it looked like if anyone interested

7. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    @bobnewels
    TY for sharing great stuff. Barbuda and Don't fear the reaper on the duke box and then the roof flies open and they are sucked out.
    I got the same thrill hit as when I played it all those years ago. :)

TheDigitalJedi and bobnewels like this.
  8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Looked at the screens for the mod, kind of looks like they applied a shader filter and cranked the sharpening up.

Personally, the game looks fantastic still, and doesn't need any such mod.
    It's still a great time, and a looker thanks to solid art design.

9. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Unless you're playing the game on Windows XP machine, EAX simply doesn't work without either at least Creative Alchemy wrapper or dedicated mods for each game.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ah right, yes I use that. lol I couldn't remember the name Alchemy

But there is no way around 62fps cap?

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    idTech4 games are locked at 60 (normally 62) FPS for technical reasons.

There is a way to uncap it, I'm not sure of it personally.
    But, I've seen videos of Quake 4 uncapped, and the players running speed would fluctuate hugely depending on the fps.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I did not look it up but I think I recall a ID tweaker for ID 4/5 engine,I could be wrong.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    IdTech 4 has ingame ticks tied to frame rate for some reason (think Carmack would know better) and thus the fps is hard capped.
    Also why you see game speed break if the cap is forcibly removed.

There was a project in Github that attempted to unlock frame rate for Dhewm 3 source port of Doom 3 but it was never successful, there were always some issues with it.
    The cap is so hardcoded into the engine.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  14. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think that with DSR 4x, unlockled FPS (seta com_fixedTic "1" in autoexec.cfg) and external FPS limit set to 66 FPS (tiny bit faster) on VRR monitor this game is still nice to look at and play even today. This mod is causing very long loading times and the end result is not that different from vanilla anyway.

[off-topic]
    Prey cannot be modified for high framerates (no sources) but Quake 4 is using newer engine version and can be hooked externally with tweaker from methanhydrat. As for Doom 3 I got frustrated with BFG edition so I ended up creating custom dhewm3 build for myself with 7ms frametime instead od 16ms. It works fine with 144Hz monitor, no gamebreaking bugs but I had to go trough sources and fix a few physics issues by hand, adjust some hardcoded timers and also values in external script files. There are major problems with this id-tech engine in regards of higher refresh rates:
    - frametime is hardcoded as a global constant instead of variable
    - frametime is also defined as an integer, so no precise frametimes possible
    - all functions and formulas are expecting this integer so code refactoring would be needed to replace it properly, including dlls for mods
    - code is not suited for multicore CPUs (obviously, it is from early 2000), so very high framerates >200FPS will be CPU bound causing drops
    I am not a game engine dev. and C++ is not my primary lang. so I leaved the proper fix to other more skilled guys.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    TheDigitalJedi and AsiJu like this.
  15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Definately gonna try it on my OLED. BTW: I like the "new" Prey but pretend it is part of the X-Com universe.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

Why would Carmack "know better"?
    idTech4, Doom 3 came out in 2004. Hitting 60fps was considered hitting the top tier at that time, people playing the game at a resolution of 800x600..

This was before it was called idTech. It was just the Doom 3 Engine at the time.

17. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    2Damien: Of course he knew better - we can tell because he was kind enough to make the sources public. When you look at previous engine iterations like the one from Quake 3 Arena, there are no hardcoded caps to speak of. And Doom 3 engine evolved from it, so why did he stuff it in here is beyond me. I remember looking at Doom 3 sources and there was absolutelly no reason for it, he made it all ready for higher framerates and even amateurs like me were able to adjust a few hardcoded places to make it work. The same goes for id-tech 5 (Rage, Wolfensteins), but he was all over consoles at that time, so no big surprise I guess.

TheDigitalJedi and AsiJu like this.
  18. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I think at the time he just prioritized visuals over future proofing the engine given doom 3 was pretty ahead of its time and pioneered real time shadows, even as limited as they were back in the day.
    Whilst it may have been lack of foresight, at the time of writing he probably assumed that there's simply not going to be hardware in foreseeable future to push more frames and even if so - that people would just trade it off to increase resolution rather than have more frames.

Of course there is no excuse and he should've known better but making games is also a business i guess so i doubt he had much time to ponder technical design decisions and just went ahead with what was the fastest route.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Loved the game when it first came out. Even reinstalled it a couple years back, but could not get into it. Its just too old and basic like most games from that period. For those who can still enjoy it today, lucky you.

20. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Personally I enjoyed Arkane's Prey a lot, but I certainly agree it should not have been called "Prey". It's basically a totally different game. Very strange they attached the Prey name to the product imo.
    I wonder why they chose 62 as their engine target rather than 60 like Fromsoft games on PC target.

With V-Sync engaged on a traditional 60 hz panel I'd think you'd want an engine level cap of 60-61 (maybe 60.5?) FPS so that you get a low lag V-Sync (eg see BlurBuster's low lag v-sync guide where they cap framerate to exact refresh to reduce input lag when v-sync is engaged). I say maybe 60.5 as then you're accounting for the reality that fps limiters are not perfectly accurate and also many 60 hz monitors are not exactly 60 so building in a small "buffer" zone there (since if the cap is too low you get occasional stutter when the backbuffer is not filled quite in time is my understanding).

Maybe they did 62 since their engine used triple buffer v-sync or something? Does it need those extra two frames in order to fully utilize a triple buffer and the two back buffers or something? Just seems like a strange value for them to have used. I think Rage 1 used double buffered since Carmack didn't like the input lag added by triple buffering (I could be misremembering there thought I saw him say something like that years ago on Twitter then people screencapped it on other forums. Not 100% sure of it though).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    TheDigitalJedi and Undying like this.