MSI MEG 342C QD-OLED Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MSI has announced its latest gaming monitor, the MEG 342C QD-OLED, featuring a 34-inch Quantum Dot OLED panel that offers exceptional picture quality with perfect pixel lighting control and true black...

MSI MEG 342C QD-OLED Officially Announced

tunejunky, mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    1,000 nits are they trying to blind us or what.

Embra likes this.
  3. Jon Nichols

Jon Nichols Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6900X
    too late, this has been talked about for months, ordered my AW3423DWF today, got tired of waiting.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You won't be disappointed, but HDR for me was totally busted requiring opening its settings and enabling "source tone mapping" through/after enabling "console mode".

This panel MSI is using might be the same thing anyway... it's a 34" HDR 1000 175Hz QD-OLED that looks to be 21:9. That's the same specs as the DW.

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    It's a nice monitor, been using it for a while

Same panel as the above, I run at HDR 1000

6. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    There seems to be no information on MSI's website about whether this display supports either G-Sync or FreeSync. Seems a bit odd for a display of this type.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Peak highlight brightness and not full field.

Maddness likes this.
  8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Under the Panel specs it says
    AMD Freesync Premium Pro
    TEAR FREE, STUTTER Free fluid gaming
    Gaming shouldn't be a choice between choppy gameplay or broken frames. With the MEG 342C QD-OLED gaming monitor, there is a fluid, artifact-free performance. Enjoy tearing and stutter-free gameplay with added support for HDR as well.
    Which has the most benefit in fast-moving game genres such as first-person shooters, fighters, racing sims, real-time strategy, and sports.
    *Note: FreeSync Premium Pro technology requires a monitor and AMD Radeon™ graphics, both with FreeSync Premium Pro support. See http://www.amd.com/freesync for complete details. Confirm capability with your system manufacturer before purchase. GD-127

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Even for a peak highlight I can confirm it will cause your eyeballs to boil in their sockets if you look at it directly.

Maddness likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    curious to see what street price is now that the Alienware is in supply. i don't think MSI can get quite the premium that Alienware gets, but i'm happy because the 32-38" range is the sweet spot for an average desk and you don't need your peripheral vision. the other thing is more OLEDs are a good thing even if it's another Sammy panel.

Maddness likes this.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I have a 55" LG OLED TV as a monitor which can do 700 nits. While it appears "bright" in comparison with parts of the image which are dark, it's nowhere near what would be considered "making you blind"

I suggest going outside from time to time and experience the sun which is a light source which in bright day at ground level puts out about 1.6 billion nits... and while looking at that directly for longer than a few seconds will definitely make you blind, looking at objects that are directly lit by that huge amount of energy does not.

HDR TV's with 1000 nits are barely at single candle level brightness...

theoneofgod likes this.
  12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have an LG 65" OLED and that's probably around the same as yours. Turning it on in the morning as it's my main monitor, I cannot even look at the screen it's so bright until my eyes acclimatise. And i was just being over the top with my comment anyways. :p

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  13. cbelle

cbelle Guest

GPU:
    3080 Ti
    LG OLED's quoted 700 nits is only valid at 10% of the screen. Anything higher % and the ABL kicks in.
    At 25% it is down to less than 500 nits. At 50% it is less than 300 nits.

1000 nits is about a very bright 75w light bulb.

14. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Ok, I looked at the spec sheet and there they didn't mention this.

15. Eric L

Eric L Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3070 Trio
    I thought about it but the MSI might finally be the model to get.
    Alienware Cons
    HDMI 2.0
    Reflective coating in bright light is not good unless playing games in a dim room only
    External Power brick

Plus: might be lighter weight than the MSI

MSI Plus
    HDMI 2.1
    anti-reflect coating great for bright rooms, reflective coating looks better in dim rooms.
    no power brick
    175Hz

Con: might be heavier than the Alienware :p

I've trying to find out the answer from MSI about if there is a cooling fan or not, one of the people that works there believes it is passive but I want to know for certain. The plus things are all confirmed with MSI :)

16. Eric L

Eric L Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3070 Trio
    VVR is Adaptive sync Variable Refresh Rate. Free sync is adaptive sync without the AMD branding. Sync refresh rate is 48hz - 175hz. Listed on the data sheet for this monitor.

17. Eric L

Eric L Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3070 Trio
    Yes lol, it's like 1000nits in a small little 3% window size. Not full screen 1000 nits