LG Announces 44.5-inch OLED gaming display 45GR95QE-B

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 17, 2023.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    :D:p:rolleyes:

Get a HRR (120-144+ Hz) monitor first, use it for a few weeks, then go back to your 60 and let us know how it goes.

GREGIX likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm finding myself agreeing with most people here. I like having a surrounding cinematic experience when consuming media, but, I also like to not have to move my head when I'm just casually browsing the web, and I like to not see individual pixels from where I'm sitting. So, while a display like this could appeal to me, I also think it's weird we're not seeing similar displays in smaller sizes.
    Also... 16:10 is much closer to the human FOV. I'd gladly get that if it were more common at larger sizes, at least for a reasonable price.

Are you looking for an opinion or something objective? And, are you looking for something practical or the limits of human vision? Because objectively, pixel density matters based on the screen size and viewing distance. For a monitor, where the sitting distance is going to be within 100cm/40in, an optimal pixel density would be around 140PPI, but our eyes can see well over 300 (depending on who you ask).
    That's why 4K on a phone is stupid (it just drains your battery life since the phone has to work harder to render, and because for LCDs the backlight needs to be made brighter) but 4K is also stupid if you've got a 60" display at arm's length.

3. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Thanks, that would kill me tho :)

theoneofgod likes this.
  4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Im complaining that no standard size OLED monitors are available, alway these behemoths which are more like TVs. I dont want 240hz because I dont need that. Everything has compromises, so if u have 240hz u usually have lesser image quality, or more heat - SOMETHING has to change if u go from 120hz to 240hz. And if all things stay same - HW wise - than the PRICE will change. As I will never use 240hz I dont want such a device. Makes more sense now? With OLEDs these ultra high refresh rates make even less sense, because OLED has superior motion clarity. 120hz OLED has better motion clarity than 240hz LN/TN/Whatever displays.

Everyone can buy what he wants I dont care, u misunderstood me. I just want finally a monitor which makes sense to me. And I wait 15 years for that, so sorry if Im a bit frustrated with that already :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023

5. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    YES! Im on 16:10 this whole time since CRTs. I use Samsung SyncMaster 2493hm with custom settings. I used it for FIFTEEN YEARS already. I tried different monitors, they dont stand a chance. Im baffled with it, how is it even possible. Natural colors, 16:10, not a single faulty pixel. Great blacks compared to nowadays monitors. Great grey uniformity.

I compared it at home with Asus ProArt which is basically a entry level pro monitor, and I returned that monitor, because it had laughtable blacks, light bleed, ugly grey uniformity. It had nice response time tho, mostly because Gsync I guess and 75hz (my monitor is 60hz only)

If u want some decent 16:10 than that ASUS PA248QV is basically only thing with higher refresh rate than 60 + Gsync. Still, I kept my 15 years old monitor, as its better. Also it has superior design.

And 16:10 vs 16:9 is so much better. 16:9 is just BS in gaming and dont get me started at productivity.

Can I please get better monitor than the one I use for 15 years? Please? No? Ok :X

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    32 Inch would be my max behind my 80CM deep desk and mounted on the wall, but that means 4K.

So my limit is 27 Inch 1440p.

Seeing 16:10 mentioned. I have a EIZO CX240 at the moment and want to move away from 16:10 as a lot of games these days are forced 16:9. I wanted a EIZO CS2731 at first, but EIZO downgraded their CS/CX line to have IPS Glow. And a CG model is way too expensive.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I strongly believe those monitors are in this size and ppi because they are just cropped tv 4k panels

tunejunky and wavetrex like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i have mixed emotions about these two models specifically, i love OLED's and i have two (ROG 43" & LG 1st gen G series).

my first question is no mention of MLA (or in LG-speak "meta") the Micro-Lens Array is the only tech that left me gobsmacked @ CES.
    the fact that it can, without any additional power or circuitry or wear & tear, boost brightness to micro-led level is astonishing and made me a believer in the higher levels of HDR.
    i have one of the best OLED's ever made and i have buyer's remorse (only a little bit) because i don't have the next gen "meta" panel.

so my advice to anyone willing to shell out a grand or so, get the 2023 LG C3 and save money while having a superior panel
    and they have them starting at 43" - which is actually perfect for a stand alone desk. you can buy a table stand to mount it at outside rear for under $40

Venix likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I did 3 different times used them for like 2 week before all went back due to IPS issues. I liked VRR functions but dont give damn about running games 120+ fps let care to keep pay the cost for gpus that could do it. in end I caped at 60hz my games on those monitors as difference wasn't worth it to me. and int the end went back to 24" 1080p 60hz tn panel only thing bothered me was going back to 24" over 27" which still to big for desk less i mount to my wall.

Again everyone has there preferences, you don't have like or even agree with it not gonna change person preferences

Just like arguments of vsync on/off I wont game with out vsync on and i dont see latency issues with it on and have not seeing it over 20 years, unless the game cant keep 60 fps and hade frame rate issue in general. and even if it could keep 60 i despise tearing. I watch people play on pc vsync off and i ask them how can they stand the tearing, and most time they tell the dont see any. and they have 120hz monitors, higher hz my usual response to them is i wish my brain conveniently ignored all that. while they saying they dont see any i constant seeing as they play.

Personal preferences are exactly that, you or anyone else isnt gona change people person preferences.

I mean you can trying but would be akin to bang one head against wall and thinking your get gona get diffrent outcome

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Then just get their 240hz 27 inch 1440p oled and run it at 120hz. Or wait another 15 years idk.

Aura89 and tsunami231 like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    in 15 years most of will old timers will be dead, and if oLED isnot cheaper in that we should other tech that replace oLED and is better and cheaper to produce. if we dont the industry just stalled.

If im alive in 15 years i will be shocked and i still alive around age of 75-80 even older i gona be person that say just kill me :rolleyes:

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I can feel the warmth of the TV from over here

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    There will be a concerted push by the Chinese to get mini-led production up and costs down to cement a share in the world wide market. At the same time LG’s prowess in OLED production and existing market share still is a level above. the fact Samsung is using LG w-oled panels for QD-OLED screens says something about the costs of even white leds

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well I was using 48" C1 for over a year in like 1m to it.
    Was hard at beginning for sure, esp when consider I jumped from 24,5" TN panel(240Hz) to this OLED 120Hz.

Now...I am at Dells QD-OLED AW3423DW. To be frank...it is small. It is closer, like maybe 50cm, but still.
    I just saw better on bigger screen farther from me. FPS, action, etc.
    I am getting old, maybe this is most likely issue here. But if there will be 40" area OLED 1440p+ I will jump on it instantly.

wavetrex likes this.
  15. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Whats with all the low res big screens? We want big (not huge, 38” and 32”) oled at HIGH resolution…

I guess they will get the idea eventually, but gotta milk that desperation for oled a bit more first :rolleyes:

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This apparently isn't a valid reasoning "for some reason", completely unknown to anyone but himself and likely isn't truly known by him as well.

It's like someone complaining about if there was only one processor and it ran at 6Ghz, but they wanted one that ran at 5Ghz, due to heat/power draw, price wasn't an issue, and they just wouldn't get that processor at 6Ghz and run it at 5Ghz getting what they want. It makes no sense but to each their own sometimes people just want to complain to complain and nothing will make them happy.

17. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    I thought OLED have infinite contrast ratio?

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I didn't notice that and that's kind of an interesting question.

I wonder if LG is trying to apply a number to it now since stating something is "infinite" is kind of a "non-answer" and hasn't helped people understand/compare what it means/is to other non-OLED screens.

I also wonder if maybe it has to do with the matte of the screen, as a very matte screen will never look "black" even if no light it coming from it (in a lit room anyways)

There's also the fact that the brightness of OLEDs aren't as high as some non-OLEDs, and maybe this is their way of comparing still rather then having a non-number?

I tried looking this up to see if there was an explanation and can't find anything, even some websites state both of these monitors will have an infinite contrast ratio, but it would be interesting if LG would explain their change in marketing at the least

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a LG 34uw and I love the size of it, and I really don't know if u would like anything bigger so close to me.

But I would definitely love a screen with better image and HDR but the prices...

So I'll stick with my screen for now.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

the finish does affect the perceived brightness and the matte finish is a key feature of the UltraGear vs. C series which are all glossy.
    tbh, tho' it only matters in a bright room with lots of light sources.

and BTW, with the C3 series there is no brightness difference with OLED vs. LED due to MLA/ "meta"