Eye Floaters

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Serotonin, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Anyone else have these procreating things? I've had them since my early 20's. But they're getting worse, especially in one eye. Huge lines of parasite looking deals floating everywhere. The brighter a surface, snow outside, pc screen, the worse they are. I went to the eye doctor and he looked and just kind of shrugged. "Your eyes are dry, that can play a part in it...otherwise everything looks good"

So with that, I wonder if anyone here has them and found a good way to deal with them or even reduce them at all? Maybe a supplement I'm not aware of.

Airbud likes this.
  2. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    What you describe is just particles in the air attaching themselves to the wet outside of your eye, what your optometrist is saying to you is that with more eye lubrication they would be washed away more efficiently.
    If you move your eye quickly left and right, you can see the particles carry on moving after your eye has stopped moving because they are on the surface in the fluid.
    Floaters are a different thing in optical terminology.
    As for a 'supplement', I guess a pair of goggles would do the trick.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    There's nothing you can do to fix them, unfortunately. I'm the same way, have the same issue, but perfect vision, no underlying issue. Just unlucky.

Dark mode on everything, sunglasses outside gets rid of 90% of the time I can see them. The rest, while it definitely makes me anxious and sometimes sad, you just have to rely heavily on the checkup saying everything looks ok. Of all the things that can happen, its not the worst one. I do still curse cloudy days though.

Serotonin likes this.
  4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I did see them since kid. Especially in my nearsighted eye. They are harmless condensations of vitreous humour

Serotonin likes this.

5. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I always had them, don't notice them all that much unless I really focus on them. Since eyes are filled with liquid and are wet on the outside, so it's not a distilled water and therefore contains some organic residue that's floating around.

Serotonin likes this.
  6. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
  7. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I have a few in both eyes, they say your brain learns to 'not see' them over time. As you get older you get more :)

Serotonin and Airbud like this.
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Floaters can also indicate high blood glucose levels.
    ie diabetes that isnt under control.

If you notice them the day after having eaten lots of sweet stuff, or after eating a lot more than normal ...

If you constantly have floaters, eat less for a week and see if they reduce.

Serotonin and anticupidon like this.
  9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I forgot about mine until I read this thread...now I see them again!

Darn you Serotonin!...just for that you owe me a beer! :p

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Visible floaters can also indicate an elevated number of white cells swarming. And immune system rarely does things randomly.
    It may be an infection, inflammation or other causes.
    Ask your GP?

Mufflore likes this.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Guys, they don't go away. They don't come and go. You may be less aware of them, or in an environment where you don't see them, but they're not gone. You can't take anything or change anything to get rid of them. They can be a symptom of other things, just like basically everything else, but by age 70 over 50% of people will have them. Some people get them much younger.

Obviously you should go to your doctor to verify you're good, but it sounds like you've likely already done that, so the best thing you can do to rid yourself of them is to accept that they're there, accept that they're harmless, and move on. Once you do that, and make a few changes like using dark mode on computer screens, you'll almost never see them, and when you do, you won't think about or stress over them. It really is the best treatment for them, just accepting it.

Serotonin and big ROBOT bill like this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Maybe in your case.

Only after known causes have been checked.
    After all, if there is a major issue and you deliberately ignore potential signs, you will blame yourself after and may be worse off for it in some other way.
    Yes, you may have to live with it, but dont be foolish by wasting the opportunity to catch a problem earlier.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Brother, I feel you with dark mode on everything. This site no longer having it makes me nuts. I can empathize with everything you wrote 100%.

14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Serotonin likes this.
  15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I saw an Ophthalmologist - they told me what @Reardan is saying. They don't go away, they get worse with age. I have always had them but they're getting worse in one eye which prompted me to see the Ophthalmologist (which is an actual doctor as opposed to an Optometrist - many mistake the two). Just wanted to know if anyone had any tricks for them. I def. favor dark environments which help.

My eyes are fine. They ran all their tests for glaucoma, got pictures of the back of my eyes, looked at the back of eyes and retinas with instruments themselves. Dry eyes is all I have. These things are just so damn annoying. But yes, I agree, it could be worse. I should try sungalsses. Never been big on them.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    As far as worsening eye floaters, I remember reading a medical paper about them sometimes being associated with auto immune disorders, If they are bad enough it is possible to remove them via surgery (sucking out the eye goo), but not something done unless you are going blind because of it.

I would definitely go see a doctor (not the eye doctor) about that and get some bloodwork done, if it progresses over a short period of time (<2 years)

Mufflore and Serotonin like this.
  18. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    You mentioned you have anxiety disorder and are actively avoiding sunlight, care to get that treated? Do you notice your floaters more when you feel anxiety? Because mental and neurological illnesses absolutely do worsen vision in a lot of ways.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have wore glass for most my life and had "floater" for just as long, I cant say they have gotten worse i normal only notice then in really bright lights or out side during the day. but never in front computer screen stuff like that, I do have anxiety (started in past 5 years) and seizures( had since I was little kid) both which seem to be getting worse as i get older definitely the seizures.

On the other hand i have issues seeing things upclose now with my glass that i find i taking them off to do something things now. talking with in foot range

last time got my eye checked about 2 years ago, i was told my -1.50 i had for both eye had change to -1.75 and -1.50, had all kinds headaches with those after 2 months i got fed up and told them give my old -1.50 in both lenses back, and the headaches stop with days.

Serotonin likes this.
  20. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    I started noticing them in my mid 20's. As Zipper pointed out in many cases they're collagen fibers within your vitreous that clump together to cast shadows onto the back of your eyes. Usually you have to just get used to them. Short of a full vitrectomy not sure there's a fix. Glasses and dark mode can help, but honestly I found that over time I got used to them. Once I went a few days without thinking about them, that helped me realize that I could ignore them, and since then they haven't really interfered with much. Quite visible on cloudy days however.

Serotonin and big ROBOT bill like this.