Microsoft Now Is Proactively Informing Windows 10 users to update to Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    I will have to say....this Raptor Lake core i9-13000K, RTX 3080 Ti, 64 GB of DDR5 Ram, and 4 2TB Gen 4 NVMe's with Windows 11 just to make DirectStorage work is worth every kind of penny over Windows 10. There are some older NVIDIA GPU capabilities that worked best only on or with the CPU; Resize Bar just tripled those capabilities.

Now to be serious for a moment...the cost of this upgrade equals the cost of building a SpaceX rocket. Prices ran by scalpers just stiff armed most of us who want a new GPU at MSRP.

2. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I7 5960X here, no TPM (or rather the optional TPM module for my board has long been EOL), no GPT partition, no secure boot. Still fits all my needs and runs all games I want to run. So no Windows 11 for as long as Windows 10 has support. That's another two years, by then I might consider getting new hardware.

3. PsyaNyde

PsyaNyde Active Member

GPU:
    msi rtx 2080 super
    My Windows 11 installation gave me the option of installing with TPM or without it, also installed Startisback, it installed without TPM just fine and even updates install just fine, there are plenty of windows disc images out there and they are completely legal, only NOT having a legal license from win10 to carry over is a problem.

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Asus X570 Strix and Ryzen 5800X3D

Running win 11 now as of the last week

after a couple of tweaks and apart from the start menu you would not know it is win 11

It used to run quite badly when i had the 3700X now it totally smooth and responsive

Keitosha and GarrettL like this.

5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
  6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I'm running same windows I just installed it couple weeks ago.. Smooth as silk for me and just put in 5800x also, it's very nice so needless to say I won't be going to 11 anytime soon..

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The perfect way to discribe wanting to customize Windows 11 is like that scene in that modern Robocop movie where he says: "Oh god, there's nothing left.".

It's that stripped down of features compared to 10.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a laptop with W11 and the way it pushes MS own services is sickening!

Everything we do is used for the OS to suggest some type of MS service/app...

386SX likes this.
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I run a 570x Taichi and 5800x3d and had zero issues installing W11 on day 1. Got is running on machines based on a 4090, a 6900xt and a 2070 no issues. Then again I didn't have issues going to w7 or w10 to be honest.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I use start 11 so its all looks and acts like w10

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I began using Windows 11 as soon as it launched. I found it to be very similar to Windows 10 in almost everything except aesthetics. However there are 2 quirks with Windows 11 that Microsoft can't seem to fix. One came about when they launched 22H2. Every now and then when gaming I notice very slight microstutters. I took out the SSD with Win11 installed, put in a spare SSD and installed Win10 on that one so I could compare. No slight microstutters on Windows 10 22H2, only with Windows 11 22H2. Windows 11 also takes slightly longer transferring large amounts of files from an external device to the main OS drive. Windows 10 transferred the same files a bit quicker.

I'm hoping microsoft unf**ks Windows 11 with 23H1 or 23H2 whatever they decide to call the next big update.

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Well my CPU and motherboard don't meet the minimum specs for windows 11 and AM5 motherboards are just to damn expensive. So I guess i'm stuck with windows 10 for the foreseeable future.

13. CAKyPA

CAKyPA Member

GPU:
    AMD
    Tried Windows 11 other day, noticed 2 big extra steps and went back.
    1. Context menu: 7-zip, Notepad++ etc not available in default context menu, can be shown after clicking "Show More Options" or doing registry tweaks as per app.
    2. Default apps gone (Email, Music player, Photo viewer etc like Windows 10): You can't set default apps for many file extensions. You need to set default app for every needed extension one by one.

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I have a workstation with a massive 4K screen and I don't combine tasks in the task bar because, why the hell would I on a screen that huge. Windows 11 removed the functionality and I just can't get used it. It is insanely frustrating having to hover over grouped tasks and then pick the one I want, instead of just picking the one I want. Same goes for 2 clicks to use the start menu instead of 1 and 2 clicks to get to the real context menu. If this stuff was optional I would already be on 11. I also have no plans to use an OS that required a bunch of hacks and 3rd party apps to work correctly. I skipped 8 because it completely disrupted my workflow and waited for 10. Unfortunately, I don't think whatever comes after 11 will be good. Probably a forced cloud OS or some phone and tablet targeted BS.

15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ive always used Start 10 then Start 11 so everything runs the way i like it from both W7, W10 and W11
    upload_2023-2-5_11-2-50.png

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You like having facebook running a piece of software on your computer like that?

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I like win11 look of start etc, so that mini registry hack keeps it as is, just on left side like by old win10 :)

Also I disabled most of the search stuff so it auto searches within start menu.

upload_2023-2-5_12-14-4.png

pegasus1 likes this.
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've been using it for about 9 months on my gaming rig and for over a year on my laptop. The experience of 11 is similar to using 10, other than some UI changes. There's some changes I'm not a fan of but I've felt that way about every new OS release since XP. I've always just gotten used to it. I'm pretty much there with 11 now.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. W10 is fine and does the things I want it to do (which is running my games.) My dad's laptop does the things he wants to do just fine too. Browse the web, watch youtube, facebook. Not sure how exactly W11 is gonna make that better.

Microsoft has a problem, which is W10 being perfectly fine, stable and mature. So the only way to push W11 seems to be nagging W10 users.

Which is fine, because they could have done something really annoying instead, like introduce DirectX 13 and make it W11 exclusive with some high-profile MS Game Studios games requiring it, which would have been something you can't just click away.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thats all cool but imagine if Sony had to make a PS5 that was not only great for PS5 games but also had to be backwardly compatable with PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 games AND controllers, and have a scart lead socket and that old coaxle socket as well, and be able to scale down the 140p.
    I dont have an issue with people being forced to adopt newer tech, otherwise there is no evolution let alone revolution.