Nvidia Set to Unveil RTX 4060 and 4050 GPUs Ahead of Schedule?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2023.

1. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Not quite...

upload_2023-1-30_21-2-40.png

tunejunky likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder if it is wise to compare those numbers y2y... thinking about it this way:
    We all know that mining inflated prices, and on top of that the last gen. Shouldn't we compare it to the launch time of the last gen's cards? Or before Covid? Or before mining?
    Because operating expenses is up everywhere, and earnings probably drop back to what it was before Covid / mining craze. Which is still bad for them of course hehe

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think you're forgetting about the pile of cash they already made.

Airbud, 0blivious and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sure, they made a lot of money, but quite a bit of that covers ongoing expenses and is reinvested in R&D. My point is merely that the honeymoon is over - their only saving grace is their data center division, which has fortunately covered for the massive drop in gaming revenue. With sanctions affecting their AI business with China, they're in for another tough year.

tunejunky likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    nvidia's big pile of money gets bigger every year. I'm sure they'll have to spend some of it to cover the current/looming recession/depression, but thats not limited to nvidia, and doesn't detract from the massive profitability of the current market strategies which do not benefit the consumer.
    [​IMG]

Reardan and 0blivious like this.
  6. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    no guys really it's the chips they're too expensive to make they cost too much guys fab cost guys

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Did we leave out the quartly one because it goes against the narrative?

upload_2023-1-31_10-53-34.png

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

cash-on-hand really doesn't amount to much given the cost to be in GPU manufacturing.
    and i do mean manufacturing as that's where Nvidia hurts their own cause by forcing AIB's to go with more costly solutions (i.e. it's no mystery why FE cards rank lower - heat and power limitations).

the cash-on-hand is impressive but the costs to secure 1st @ node is greater than that (over the course of a model year) which is why Nvidia has been sticking to the more recent (but not newest) node(s) - and that cost is spread over the number of gpus made.

the cash is more of a shareholder issue and isn't really relevant.

which doesn't mean i do not agree with you overall - i do but would point to the market valuation (top 10 in the world) which creates a self fulfilling prophecy of higher prices to maintain the share values

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    d
    it has worth indirectly I think because it correlates with the growth of the company in nvidia's case, obviously if a company just increases its liquidity , that doesn't mean much , but since you can see the trend with nvidia, imo it works ok, since it says more about what is happening at nvidia rather than just what people think about nvidia.
    edit: also forgot to add that the sudden increase in cash on hand could be indicative of making more money than expected vs cost short term, insulated from deferred costs , like r&d, debt payments ect.

no, monthly fluctuations are not that interesting. we are trying to look at an overall trend, you can plot a line if you want, but I think that the yearly does a good enough job of illustrating it. especially over a longer time scale.

You can shorten the time scale for any metric to make it meaningless , so I don't really understand why you would want to do that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Cannot wait for the RTX 4050 4GB 64bit bus , yours for only $599US Dollars :p

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

don't get me wrong... i've gone from being a fanboy (2010) to being an investor (2011) to being a critic (2020)

12. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's almost like their overpricing of their cards and their disdain for their own board partners is starting to bite them in the ass.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its almost like your opinion on their supposed disdain of board partners isn't rooted in reality.

14. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    This isn't an opinion, this is factual, especially if you are more inclined to believe EVGA over nVidia. Did you miss all the info that came out when EVGA dropped nVidia? It wasn't just EVGA that was unhappy, several other board partners made off the record comments with their own massive complaints.

tunejunky likes this.