Whoops?: Cablemod 12VHPWR cable also melts

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2023.

1. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yeah I don't think plastic expands at high temperatures, it just becomes elastic/soft and eventually melts and yeah I agree that if the connector is making proper contact the temperatures inside the connector should be around 30 degrees and that is fine.
    But what if a few adapters out there have bad tolerances and don't make proper contact even if fully seated ? Or bad tolerances that will not properly clip the connector even when fully inserted ? That will cause high temps and probably cause these issues.
    If human error was the only explanation I think we would have also seen these issues on the 3090s.

AuerX likes this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, this new standard is not going anywhere anytime soon, i think.

So the best solution seems to be to create a more user proof connector, with higher tolerances regarding being not totally plugged, or ask GPU designers to put the power connectors better placed.

AuerX likes this.
  3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    So i guess 90 degree adapters will get delayed yet again.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only the 3090 TI's used this connector, i think its simply a case of very few 3090 Ti's bought, and those that did weren't careless about it

illusiveman likes this.

5. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Totally agree
    The placement of the connector on 3090ti is also much better because some of them are angled and the cards in general are smaller, so even a badly connected cable may not work its way out, because of less strain on the cable.
    The EVGA 4090 prototype has the power connector on the end of the card and not straight out into the case side panel.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That particular card fits into a handful of available cases though thanks to it.

7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I've tried three different 12VHPWR cables/adapters on my vertically mounted GPU since I got the card. Here is my experience with it:

First, the Nvidia adapter (4x8 pin to 16pin 12VHPWR) that came with my ASUS RTX 4090 TUF card. It had to be pushed into the socket very hard until it clicked and the click was barely audible, but it held up well enough.

Second, the cable that came with my ASUS ROG THOR Platinum II 1200W PSU (2 connectiors on PSU side). It had to be pushed in with quite a bit of force as well until it clicked, the click was a little bit more audible than the Nvidia adapter's but the cable started slipping out of the 12VHPR socket on the graphics card. I had to push it back into the graphics card every day because it slipped out for a couple of millimeters each day even though it remained properly clicked in. Luckily I only used it for a couple of days. Although it didn't burn nor gave me any trouble even when slipped out a bit, it seemed rather bad.

Third, the braided cablemod adapter (4x8 pin to 16pin 12VHPWR). This one made a really loud click when pushed in, didn't have to be pushed in very hard either. It has been the best experience of my three samples so far. This is what I've been using for the longest time now.

From my experience, there seems to be quite a bit of variance in the quality of the connectors used on various cables/adapters and it's horrifiying to see that some of them could slip out even when clicked in properly.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  8. Murcer_Borg

Murcer_Borg Guest

GPU:
    msi RTX4090 LiquidX
    That connector is a disaster in design. however, I had absolutely no problem with my 4090 Liquid X it is clear as day they messed up and the burning is mostly due to bad connection between the plug and socket rather than anything else however users should not be blamed because of bad engineering and design.
    By now I moved from the provided 12VHPWR adapter provided by msi/nvida and using next gen PSU with direct 12VHPWR cable provided with the TT 1200W GF3 PSU.
    Just to add during my testing I noticed short term power draw of 635W . I have the original 600W bios provided by msi as it was one of the earliest 4090 Liquid X later, msi issued a BIOS with reduced power caped to 580W also my overhead pwr is 125% while new bios is again set back to 118%

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  9. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Using different cables isn't gonna make power stages burn up. Also if any ICs were at that point of burning smell and it was power stages, I doubt the card would work just fine after. The only thing I smell here is bs.

10. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Now we are discussing the same crap as weeks ago...
    We all know 4090 is the best GPU ever since, the most expensive one, but sadly a design error in the whole.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Design error?

By who? The parents of the person not plugging in correctly?

Spets and Astyanax like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :D

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I've got my 4070 Ti plugged in for 2 weeks now, and i havn't smelled anything yet.

I could also clearly hear a "thock" of the latch. And from what i can see there isn't even room to put a piece of paper in between the connector, it sits that flush.

I'm still using the NVIDIA tentacle btw, CableMod doesn't ship until late February.

14. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Astyanax still on NV's payroll? Thought he was killed during the siege of Troy....

NV_error.jpg

edit: Whoops?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Eventually AMD will have to jump on the 12VHPWR wagon as well, unless they figure out some black magic.

Also that picture with the smoking connector was during GNs test by not plugging it in properly.

It's clear what the problem is, heck the connector has been tested with a bend torture test at 1200 watts and still didn't melt, because it was properly plugged in.

16. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    What is GN?

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So you're just posting stuff without having a clue?

Not going to waste more time.

18. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    I really feel sorry for NV fanboys, they just take everything too seriously....

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres no room for "taking the piss" in the amount of misleading misinformation pandered by AMD's marketting partners.