AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.1.2 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Banana4Nanners, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Half the time these for whatever drivers don't actually do anything they were just validated as working as intended for the game

2. Nicholas Bond

Nicholas Bond Active Member

GPU:
    Rx6900xt

I spoke too soon asphalt 9 crashing like mad after trying overclock setting, now even back to stock setup the game is crashing

3. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    OT: I got hold of one (pretty late) for some time to "max out" an old dfi lp nf3 754/3.7+ clawhammer cg/bh5 or 3x1GB tccd/agp build just for kicks.
    The greatest issue was that depending on vendor vbios, some had the unique hw id for the 3850 agp model (as Sapphire did), while others used the generic pci-e 3800 Series' which offered better compat. Often the official drivers forgot the agp hwid. IIRC last time was on the 13.1 whql legacy release, and added back in the 13.4 legacy beta, right after some of mine and others' driver bug submissions.
    Fortunately by then, just adding the missing AMD9515.1 lines in the driver inf was enough to make it work flawlessly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  4. Nicholas Bond

Nicholas Bond Active Member

GPU:
    Rx6900xt
    I did ddu and amd driver unistaller then reinstalled the 23.1.2 and vr is back to normal but yet to try ashphalt 9. Problems began when I added overclock so will have to investigate to see what it didn't like

5. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.

Those who complain did not buy their card because it has a nice appeal to say AMD-RADEON, they chose them because what it offers in hardware and software level satisfied them, with this logic I continue to buy AMD cards for the last 10 years because I see that despite the problems,bugs the support was top notch
    but now I see only excuses being written, some of them are the team that writes the drivers is on vacation, AMD doesn't have some resources,the branch merge of the drivers has a problem and we will have to wait about 2 months,these events did not happen in the recent past, when AMD cards brought small profits to the company no-trust-lier-tony-stark.gif

Direfield likes this.
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I understand your point of view, but would be careful to call someone a "lier".
    Obviously they could plan and perform it better, but again --- the RDNA2 drivers are stable and relatively free from critical bugs and I don't see much issues with waiting an additional month for a driver (as it was a few years back --- drivers were released less frequently). I don't understand all the fuss about it.

7. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    So here are the updated numbers from AMD itself, so the word liar I used is not heavy but it is justified at least in relation to what they said when the 7000 series was announced. Opera Snapshot_2023-01-26_190243_wccftech.com.png

The drivers should have been upgraded for the 6000 series, there are games that have already received 2 or 3 paths but the cards are struggling, for example Witcher 3 and Callisto Protocol have a lot of stuttering,with the logic that AMD manages the drivers and as new games are released such as Dead Space Remake where the 6900xt barely reaches 60FPS in WQHD the practice of giving drivers only for the new series will not do them any good.

8. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I am not commenting on your tries to "justificate" the word "liar", because this is just laughable.

May I remind you that I also own an 6900XT card and am quite happy on playing Callisto Protocol or The Witcher 3 on it ? With the "old" December drivers? (Obviously without RT).
    So again --- I don't understand all the fuss and outcry about no new drivers for a month. I think that some of the outcry comes from the trolls actually....
    All the games are playing fine.... new drivers won't magically make the RDNA2 cards run twice as fast in new games.
    This is not Nvidia which actually NEEDED new drivers because they were lacking a hardware scheduler...

10. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    I'm glad for you that your system doesn't face problems, but unfortunately we don't all have the same setup, for example the 6800 that I have suffered from stutters in the games I wrote about above.

11. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Those games had and probably still have issues on PC. You can't expect drivers to magically fix bad game optimizations.
    Also dead space remake has issues on PC with shader compilations and probably more issues. I'm sick of early reviews that are only on consoles because the PC version is poorly optimized and they don't want bad press before release.
    https://twitter.com/N_X_G/status/1618743611927203840?t=wqtdfYsGVPcfoj3cxCSsMg&s=19
    Edit: nevermind there are PC reviews out there but generally from casual gaming YouTubers with high-end rigs that don't touch on technical performance unless it's really bad. It seems there are VRS issues (according to DF) and framepacing issues with this game at least on some PC configs (according to the tweet above )

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    PrEzi likes this.
  12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Again, no new drivers for my card anymore? Seems like this was my last AMD card, it already was the first AMD card for me after 20 years only having nvidia. And i knew why i had nvidia the whole time (not because of the driver situation "now").

13. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    Doesnt make sense to drop support for most cards released around 5+ years and there was talk about unified driver so its coming. Unless you have access to the driver team theres no way to know when thou. Internal dev dates change too and its probably not good idea to promise things prematurely.

14. Could you provide more details about this? I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but Pascal-Ampere have HAGS and presumably a hardware scheduler for that?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    soooo I take still no drivers for older cards after 22.11.2?
    Everything working fine on my end though.

16. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    AMD: RDNA3 is 50 to 70% faster than RDNA2.
    Also AMD: Here's a chart with a few games tested where RDNA3 is 31% faster than RDNA2. LOL.

Direfield likes this.
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Just wait a little longer :)

18. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Sadly after this BS from AMD this will be my last card. I will switch ot green team and forget all this crap. VR is broken (Airlink/CableLink on Quest 2) since the 22.2.3 drivers !!! They could NOT fix it and DIDNT care to fix for more than 1 year !!?!?!

Goodbye AMD ! it was a fun ride :D

19. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    I think the last time NV had a hardware scheduler was in Fermi. They do the scheduling in the drivers. I don't know what HAGS does and I don't think it's important.
    Here is a video explaining some basic things about the scheduling on NV and AMD. Keep in mind that the video is rather old but even today Nvidia does it's scheduling in the drivers as seen in the recent HUB video with the driver overhead.

PrEzi likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You are misinformed, nvidia has never not had a hardware scheduler, all Fermi had over Kepler was a power expensive data hazard block.

This block was a source of overhead because it would bi-directionally communicate with the driver to ensure strict organisation of the instructions, which in compute oriented 3d API's such as D3D12, is not optimal for peak performance.

Nvidia removed it because there was power and efficiency gains to be had by pre-sorting (pre-emptively tackling collisions) the data from the driver and letting the warp and kernel schedule operations from there.

Jackalito likes this.