AMD Polaris (RX 400/500) users unable to play Forspoken

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2023.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It is not speculation when the game doesn't start without forcing VKD3D-Proton to report FL 12_1 (which it doesn't do by default also on capable GPUs yet).

Cryio likes this.
  2. Ripcord

Ripcord Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6500xt
    you say I'm wrong and then say the developers chose not to support 400/500 cards. its got nothing to do with AMD.As always I AM RIGHT.

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    On the one hand, this is a 6.5 year old GPU, and we can't expect for old hardware to support all modern games.
    On the other hand, the GPU market has been a freaking mess for nearly 3 years, so a lot of people just can't upgrade.
    And finally, this is not a good game, so gamers that can't play it are not missing out on something special.

Embra, Cryio and Airbud like this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    doesn't change that it's a dev choice. GCN4 doesn't support some features required in FL 12.1 (RoVs and conservative rasterizer). adding a shader upscaler doesn't change anything about that.

5. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Indeed.

When DX12 was being introduced there was quite a bit of talk about how these different feature levels would cause some "DX12 cards" to become glorified paperweights. We knew it was going to happen at some point, I'm just surprised it took nearly 8 years.

And that my 290x would still be kicking by then!

Cryio likes this.
  6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    considering in the first 2 years of covid most GPUs sold were mouldy crap silicon left in abandoned storages and that new GPUs were basically just for rich papa kids, you should count them as 4.5yo at least. Yes, first 2 years of covid instead of rising new hardware spread they lowered it. And today hardware is still expensive: consider cheaper GPUs today costs like medium-tier hardware pre-covid, with almost no performance improvement, sometimes even lower (es: RTX 3050 vs RX 5700)

7. Stratos2k22

Stratos2k22 Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 4080
    My opinion: If you want to play with moderns games buy a modern hardver.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol on ubuntu with proton it actually runs on polaris XD

Probably skipping some calls of rovs or conservative rasterization.. if they are some..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the features in question Rasterizer-ordered views and Conservative Rasterization aren't essential things, they are useful mostly for improving performance/optimization. not exactly make or break imo. seems kinda silly to break compatibility for such things.

Reminds me of the issue with popcnt and ssse3, breaking compatiblity for core 2 , and phenom ii chips, neither instruction(set) is particularly important or essential , but developers still set their compiler targets to the equivalent of first gen core i7 , and it breaks compatibility, when it probably won't change performance much if at all, since all of the important instructions are there.

Dimitrios1983 likes this.

11. Stratos2k22

Stratos2k22 Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 4080
    And who say if you have a 4090 you must play in 4K?:confused:

Or use 4K + DLSS and OMG i have 120FPS.
    Plague Tale Requiem: All max + 4K + DLSS3 + DLSS Balanced = Continuous 120FPS with 4080.

You don't just have to buy the hardware, you also have to know how to use it.

12. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I had a Phenom965BE X4 at the time and complained like others that couldn't play FARCRY and we were told it was due to SSE4.2a or 4.1a and once they patched it a month or so later ( from a large amount of owners like me complaining) my game finally made it past the splash screen and ran well with a RX560 and RIPJAWS DDR2 yes DDR2 8GB RAM. 1080p High settings 43-70FPS if I recall.

Picolete likes this.
  13. I don't know anything about Forspoken gameplay, but it's definitely interesting from a technical perspective :p

I wonder if something could be hacked-up or if it would just-work with VKD3D?

Edit: A few posts up someone claims it running on Ubuntu, so I guess so :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2023
  14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Don't think anything special has to happen, though the DRM might not like using the standalone vkd3d dlls on windows.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This how pascal runs the game. I mean gtx1060 at 720p is dropping below 30fps at lowest settings.

GamerNerves and Kaarme like this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Imagine still using an RX 400 series video card in 2023..... pfft..

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yeah this happens every now and then, nothing new, just wait till they all fire the artists doing baked-in lightning cuz RT

what kinda bothers me is how most of these new games that run like crap also look like crap, years ago the demanding games had the looks/physics to justify it, whereas todays demanding games look like what my sandybridge could've run but the 2010 laptop APUs prevented

Picolete and fredgml7 like this.
  18. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    The game ran just fine for me when i played the demo.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I feel like it's because of the shift for studio's just using off the shelf engines, like Unreal... and then a lot of people using those off the shelf engines don't know programing in the same way video game developers of the past used to, where they were the ones building the engine with the ability to optimize to get better performance out of the code.

I first realized this with the release of Mass Effect Andromeda, if memory serves they had a beginner in charge of animation.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    imagine ignoring how the GPU market was in the last 3 years and how is the current GPU usage on potential customers. Imaging ignoring that best selling cards on amazon during first 2 years of covid were low-end EOL products..