Forspoken implements Microsoft's DirectStorage API, faster load times; lowers FPS; raises FPS?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2023.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Aliens and Starship Troopers weren't woke though -- "progressive" =/= "woke". I actually think TNG/DS9 era Trek and those particular films are very good examples of the difference between progressive and woke.

It's the way in which they handled their progressive elements. Aliens was anti-corporate and had a female led protag but 1) I already talked about how having a female led product isn't woke and 2) they way they handled their anti-corporate sentiment was to show you a really awful corporation and people struggling in that future. You can make some inferences about the real world, but it's not hamfisted or patronizing in the way they present the progressive elements and all of it works well for the story at hand. For SST this movie did a great job of actually showing you some controversial/pro war statements, at least at the beginning, and letting you stew on them. For example, the whole "Violence is the supreme authority" line that's referenced is a good one for a reason. I agree they were trying to make an anti-war statement and comment on bad outcomes if you make your society dependent on war economically, but in general terms those messages aren't categorized as "woke". The movie also succeeded in not being patronizing with its satire and actually being funny. Was Full Metal Jacket woke just because it was anti-war? Nah. There are tons of anti-war movies that nobody would categorize as being 'woke". Progressive sure.

This is exactly what I mean -- we have to actually define the term because how people that hate "woke" media use the term is clearly not what other people are associating the term with.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Airbud and Neo Cyrus like this.
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    As far as I am aware, they did not use DS 1.1 with GPU decompress sadly. So its usefulness appears limited to the initial load times into the world from what I gather. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem like the real time streaming of assets has much to do with it as the GPU decom component is not present.

Airbud and Monolyth like this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I watched the video but I still don't see anything in here. He alludes to "heavy handed symbolism" but doesn't mention anything specific. He talks about how the maincharacter is filled with contradictions and is horribly written but that doesn't make anything "woke". Just means it's a shitty character.. which based on what he said (I have no intention of playing this game) I agree with.

I didn't say the product was woke though.. the guy i quoted did. So I'm not sure what your point is.

There's multiple people in this thread saying the game is woke but none of them have provided any evidence that I can see.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    He mentions it's a "sexless" world/intentionally goes out of its way to make females fugly as one point. Yes I know that video didn't focus on why it's woke which is why I said it's a rare video that mentions anything related to it. Even if SE's woke department didn't have a hand in all the suspicious BS in the game, it's still a dumpsterfire of a result that no one likes.

I find it hilarious that even here the gaslighting doesn't end. People know EXACTLY what is meant when wokeness is pushed back against, but still pretend that they're clueless with stupid bullshit like "Always love the mental gymnastics they make the justify past movies like Aliens, Predator or Starship Troopers not being woke". BlindBison explained it well. There's a reason why no one ever had problems against progressive media in the past; because progressive=//=woke. It was natural and with purpose in the past, not forced patronizing and anti-white + anti-beauty insanity. Wokeness is jealousy and a desire to demean/gaslight others masquerading as "politeness".

It's no surprise those who like the woke insanity are the ones to instantly gaslight and attack anyone with "ism/ist/phobe". Whenever I hear those 3 thrown out I instantly know I'm dealing with a garbage person.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I don't personally know if this game is woke or not since I haven't played the demo yet. I had thought you were suggesting that people allege products are woke based on protag ethnicity which I generally don't think is true/I don't think most people judge whether a product is woke or not by that metric. If that's not what you meant, my mistake. Sorry about that, didn't intend to misrepresent you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There definitely is on the console side, which would explain the horrendous performance of the PC ports, if the engine is made to work with that kind of streaming in mind, regardless of the raw storage performance of the drives involved.

Airbud and BlindBison like this.
  7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The only game where i ever needed faster loading screens was back when i owned a very popular BF2 server. So BF2 and BF4 are really the only ones i remember needing faster load times.

Getting in faster than others meant you could pick which ever vehicle you wanted i.e the Super Cobra or Hind heli's.

We all want faster loading times but when is it ever that important? Back when there were no SSDs i had some WD VelociRaptors 1TB because 10000rpm beat 7200rpm in loading games but they weren't cheap if i remember correctly.

If loading times were in minutes then i'd understand it better but we are talking 5-10 seconds with a good M.2 NVME drive.

8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Brown eggs come from red chickens.
    One of my coworkers raises hens for eggs.

9. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Why not just shorten this down to:

"The difference between woke and progressive is good writing" because that's all it said.

And if your complaint is just poor writing then it's really fuckin weird for multiple people to spend paragraphs and paragraphs talking about how the wokeness mind virus is consuming everything when your argument right here says the subject matter could be ok if it were portrayed better. If that's so, why rail against woke? Why not rail against crap writing like all the normal people who are criticizing the game?

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I wonder about this as well -- do they have dedicated hardware on their GPUs or is it just that they use SSDs now and the API call was put in sooner? I believe for PC newer GPUs have a decompression unit or some such but I'd need to search it up again.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    narrow to call out racism?
    i think not

think about what you are saying

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well the Internet and all the farmers where I live call them brown. Not thatbits important.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Well, you're kinda right that it could be boiled down like that I suppose. But I think hashing into the nitty-gritty examples of bad woke writing has value since we're describing a particular kind of bad writing and for any discussion on this sort of thing we need to clarify what is meant by woke or what makes something woke first as clearly we have two groups of people talking past each other who are not using the same definition.

"Good vs Bad Writing" is very unspecific is my issue with chalking it down to that. The "good" progressive writing they avoid the pitfalls of the "bad" woke writing which is why its perceived differently of course. For example, you might have a story in a theoretical Star Trek episode where the Federation encounters a planet where two warring factions are enslaving each other. E.g. Faction Red and Blue capture and put to work their foes who occupy the other half of the planet. Maybe the episode is about the various wrongs each side has done and maybe both sides have a few points to their favor here and there -- how can they come to terms? What difficult choices must the captain make? You can have a progressive message about war and slavery in there, but it becomes patronizing and "woke" as well as boring if the writers used Faction Red as a standin for "evil republicans" and Faction Blue as standins for "chivalrous democrats" and then only gave one side the good points while painting the other as a monster. Then at the end of the episode suppose they wrap it all up in a neat bow by having a character say "slavery is totally awful guys and black lives matter!" Seeing that kind of thing in modern television makes me roll my eyes into the back of my skull and ruins the immersion of it. Wow you don't say? Thank you writer bigotry is no more!

You might think that kind of thing doesn't happen, but I think it does -- moreso than it used to. One example that comes to mind which sort of ruined a movie for me is the German film "Er ist wieder Da" (Look who's back) -- a film about the return of Hitler and showing you sort of why people found him alluring at the time. In "general" I thought the movie did a great job of just showing you things without telling you directly what to think. But then the end rolls around and they have a segment where the writers point blank tell you what you should think about what you just saw and to remember that "Hitler was really bad guys". It feels patronizing as a viewer and undermines what I found to be effective about the film to begin with -- e.g. Seeing what it was about this historical figure we now consider evil that drew people to him in another time and then letting the viewer come to their own conclusions.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Airbud and Neo Cyrus like this.
  14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's an oversimplification, the "paragraphs and paragraphs" explained it better. Wokeness includes malice masquerading as politeness, anti-XYZ. Anti-beauty being a super common one.

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I agree that's a preferable way to handle it -- if someone says something idiotic just tell them so. It is very rare for someone to put forth a truly controversial view and not get a lot of push back. And that pushback is fine imo.

For example, suppose somebody says to me in an internet comment that they hate products with white protagonists -- that seems like a stupid thing to say to me and I'll state as much, but like -- I don't think it's that big of a deal at the end of the day. That statement would bother me enough to argue, but I don't think they should be banned. Now, like I said before I do think people should have the tools to moderate their own experience however so if some people chose to block them over such a statement fair play.

Airbud likes this.

16. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is a common problem aint it -- to really hash out certain topics may require a lot of back and forth/detail and examples. Then discussion on those examples -- are some points unfair, why/why not, etc etc. You can simplify things down and it reads better and works better perhaps in a forum layout like this but somethings take more than that seems to me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Airbud likes this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Personally I agree with you -- I don't really care about the "initial loading times" too much. What I do care about is the real time/world streaming aspect and reducing/eliminating stutter on that front. My hope is that perhaps the GPU decomp version can be plugged in for more efficient streaming.

18. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    My boss raised chickens and sold eggs at the company til he retired. I learned more about chickens in passing than I ever needed to know lol. Side note, I love how Japan handles their egg processing since it's safe to eat them raw. I imagine there are still places to get those kinds of eggs in the states but I don't recall seeing that style in your Walmarts and Krogers.

Airbud and rflair like this.
  19. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I don't understand then why do you keep liking his posts where he says that's the case?

If we're sticking to your expanded explanation I think literally everyone, even "woke" people, generally agree with it. I know Denial does and I do, like, dialogue shouldn't be ham-fisted, no matter what it's about. On the sci-fi example, this is a trope in sci-fi too where the writers think you're too stupid to understand the concepts so they'll do an absurd amount of exposition to explain like, for example, how wormholes work and ruin the flow and pacing of the movie/scene. I get the sense that we both agree that if you write it well, and it's in the right place, and there's meaning and thought behind it, actual ideas that flow into the narrative, that really even progressive topics can be approachable and acceptable and not interfere with the enjoyment of a movie or game.

My issue here is that Neo Cyrus is trying to hide his position in the reasonableness of that explanation, even though he doesn't really believe it. That's why when I, fairly accurately, simplified your statement, he walked it back, but you were like "Well, but its a little more complex". He has ideas that he thinks shouldn't be portrayed, or at least that he's totally unwilling to engage with, regardless of how well they're implemented, on an ideological basis. That's why Denial keeps pressing for someone to explain what is woke about this game, because the reality is, it isn't woke, or at least, it isn't by a definition you, I, or Denial would use. It has a black chick, and she speaks in a poorly written urban slang kind of meme dialogue obviously written by someone trying to sound cool, but aside from that? There's really not much woke about it. Denial is trying to drag out that Neo Cyrus knows nothing about the game except that there's an urban black chick, and it's coloring his opinion of the game, not the fact that its actually "woke".

Honestly I listened to the entire review he linked and that guy also adds nothing extra that makes it woke, he gives no details about what is woke about the game, it was a complete waste of 8 minutes.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    all this mess for a bad benchmark?

HandR likes this.