Something is seriously wrong with windows 11 22h2.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I have the same specs as you, and Metro Exodus Enhanced edition runs very smooth for me with no stutter on Windows 11 22 H2. Are you using the base version of the game or the enhanced version?

2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    enhanced

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Don't know what to tell you man, but I doubt it has anything to do with Windows 11 22H2 because I have no problems with Metro Exodus EE. No stuttering or anything and we have the same specs for the most part.

I'm sure you've already done a game file verification. It could be a software conflict or some sort. I would start looking at an antivirus if you have one, and not using the latest drivers is probably not helping you either.

And make sure the Windows VBS stuff is all turned off.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Metro has some stutters here and there and the cause is the NVIDIA Hairworks. When a hairy beast appears, you get some minor stutters.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That was in the original game. The Enhanced Edition fixed it. I'm playing the game right now in the Volga region and came across a group of watchmen and there were no stutters.

6. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    upload_2023-1-8_0-11-21.png
    working fine here.. with my Acer Predator Bifrost A770 and Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme Push The Limit cards installed...

7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    First time hearing this about the new intel cpu's.
    Doesn't high performance just force the all core boost?If anything it should help because cpu core becomes fixed.
    I've heard so many stories of the balanced power profile being the cause of stutters because cpu clocks flactuate while on it.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it causes games to load on the E cores instead of the P cores for one.

plenty of stories of things that never happened on the internet.

The control on this screen with these newer processors is only available with the original control at Balanced, you should set things here at the "Power Mode" control.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Papusan likes this.
  9. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    No problems whatsoever running high performance mode almost 1.5 years with 12700K. Never seen a game run on E cores like that one poster claims, but I would stay clear of his posts. He's known for spreading misinformation about Windows and anything related to computers. According to him you can't change a single setting in your PC.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What about bitsum's highest perf. powerplan with extra DC and AC off?

Also old windows power plan doesn't change if I change to high perf in new windows menu?
    upload_2023-1-13_22-10-40.png

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    MS Flight Sim on 12700K, Win 11 22H2, High Performance power profile. Blue rectangle P cores, yellow rectangle E cores. E cores are nearly idle entire time. Stop believing every unsubstantiated nonsense that certain people make up on the spot.

[​IMG]

Agonist likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I have, 12700k on Windows 11 22h2 running Assassins Creed Oddysey,

E cores were constantly pegged with the legacy Power profile at High Performance, Load spread normalized with Balanced+MaxPerformance.

Microsoft and Intel themselves recommend not using the legacy power profile configuration for a reason. :rolleyes:

The same issue is reported for several productivity tools, such as Corona Render.

snight01, PapaJohn, Xtreme512 and 2 others like this.
  13. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    i take it you are not aware of core parking?

clearly not, i suggest you look up why multi utilites were made to prevent it.. its not so much about the clocks jumping around, as cores being "parked" and "unparked" over and over becoming a problem, with the hybrid chips you also do run into the "games loading on the wrong cores" and there being no graceful handoff to P cores, or even processes being moved back and forth... games and apps that run multi processes having them split across p and e cores.. lots of weird crap can happen...

but, no joke, core parking can still be a problem, not as bad as it was back in the day... but i worked places where part of the install script we ran removed all the low power modes from servers that needed to be running at top perf at all times, regardless of load spikes/dropps.. again huge PITA but.. meh.. thats dealing with windows for you... its my main os but... dosnt mean im happy about it...

power profiles can have some very very weird effects on systems, more so for stuff like chips with E and P cores... seen a couple laptops whos default profiles got updated by the mfgr because the default-default, was only loading the E cores the P cores rarely got used, the "update" just replaced 2 of the old profiles with ones that actually take into acct p and e cores..

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :rolleyes: Irrelevant, core parking only works when a client app use less than half the cores in the system and starts with hyperthreads first, as they have lower priority tagging.

15. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    you would hope/think, sadly i have seen it kick in on very short drops to zero load, for example as a batch encode switches files, thats just a simple example from back in the day, but it was one that had a noticeable impact on both batch encodes and editing when cutting together multi video clips from multi file sources, you would think it wouldnt park cores as quickly as it can at times, just another fun "windows feature", its not a problem most of the time but, some power plans can be an issue and can cause this behavior, mostly out of date ones or ones that are bugged, be it by 3rd party apps or whatever.

you would think it would be irrelevant but, sadly.... i have seen even very short bursts of no load park cores on systems, from servers to work stations to laptops, its been a problem since at least xp, when we started seeing muti core systems hit the market, and the ability to park idle cores became a thing

as to one other great example, games and apps that will hit all cores but bounce load around core to core, the more cores/threads you have the more this becomes an issue...

but even on a 6c12t xeon back in the day, it could cause weird perf issues even in programs that were decently threaded for their day, again though, only on old/legacy power plans does this tend to be an issue, sadly i have learned some apps people still often use will "correct" power plans.. to out dated ones...

oh and, a while back, i found an old customer of mine has been upgrading the same windows install since winxp x64 threw the latest builds of 11... it still had xp-x64 power plans as well as ones with the same name, that were current.. among other weirdness, finely got him to do a clean install and copy over what he wanted to use/keep on a new drive... but he was having some very very strange behaviors when in anything but bitsum power profiles..

either way.. windows dosnt always to the best job managing cores... part of why i tend to run process lasso most of the time...

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I got in Volga just right before they appear, micro stutter then its fine.

But they look funny xD, not worthy a hairworks title

this is enhanced edition, rtx ultra, main quality ultra and dlss quality at 1620p downsample o_O:D
    MetroExodus_2023_01_22_15_36_29_569.jpg

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, this scenario is a bit different, these encode apps actually use Thread masks to peg themselves to available cores, and prevent the Load Balance that Windows tends to do as to take better advantage of the duplicated logic in hyperthreaded processors).

The problem with a one Governor fits all design, Linux governors are tailored to fit the processor.

18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think you meant to write "scheduler" rather than "governor". The governor is responsible for frequency scaling. And most CPUs can 'govern themself' with Intel HWP or AMD CPPC capabilities where the system just selects a 'profile' via power bias "hints" from the system. But nevertheless, OS-driven governors were NOT built to fit a certain processor. Those were meant to fit certain workloads (mobile, desktop, server, etc). You want to blame the scheduler for directing high-demand and high-priority program threads to slow cores and/or criss-cross across cores on different "nodes" (like different sockets even, or CCXs, P/E-cores, etc).

zais101 likes this.
  19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    That's a bit over the top.
    Here it says:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th/3
    But indeed the conclusion is balanced should be the better choice with an e-core equipped CPU.

But also with balanced profile and selecting to prefer performance in the Windows 11 system control UI, core parking is still active on Alder Lake / Raptor Lake CPUs. Intel really should disable this garbage feature via chipset driver installer like AMD are said to do. It's a shocking display of incompetence of both Microsoft and Intel.

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So, the best settings for 12/13th gen CPUs are:

Balanced
    Best performance(In power options under settings)
    Use ParkControl to disable ''core parking'' and ''freq scaling''