OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well the Alienware DWF arrived and... Custom Resolution Utility doesn't allow me to set high refresh rates? It just turns the number red and denies it, and the nVidia control won't work with CVT-RB at 165Hz, or 158Hz (I cap the global limit at -3), so I tried 153 to cap it at 150 and that works. A bit disappointing but to me the difference between 153 and 165Hz isn't a big deal.

Edit: For anyone missing context from the initial post I wrote regarding this; I'm referring to it working with 10 bit colour rather than 8. It doesn't support 165Hz + 10 bit out of the box which is baffling, so a custom resolution setting is required to get a high refresh + 10 bit.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Solfaur and OnnA like this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    LG UltraGear Unveils the World's First 240 Hz OLED Gaming Monitor

LG UltraGear at the 2023 International CES showed off the world's first gaming monitor with a blistering fast 240 Hz OLED panel.

An in-house development by LG Display, the LG UltraGear OLED 45GR95QE is a 45-inch ultrawide gaming monitor with a 21:9 aspect-ratio, 3440 x 1440 pixels native resolution, an 800R curvature, and a surreal 240 Hz refresh rate with 0.03 ms response time.

It supports both G-SYNC and FreeSync Premium to help it twiddle its thumbs while it awaits new frames from your GPU. The display takes input from HDMI 2.1, and
    features a high-performance DAC + headphones amplifier along with support for DTS Headphone X. For these and more, the monitor bagged a 2023 CES Innovation Award.

8. Well that wasn't very comprehensive review, but my 2 cents on this...
    First of all less than 200cd as maximum SDR brightness is very low there is no doubt about that. If it was at least 250cd, I'd say OK, because that is a norm for professional LCDs. And only 115cd on 75% of maximum brightness settings, that is really weird considering 120cd is kinda golden standard monitors are calibrated for. Another really weird thing is that whitepoint/temperature is increasing with brightness... that is just wrong! I guess it is the result of LG's WRGB panel without proper electronics behind. And last but not least is the coating. While I don't mind matte antiglare coating, I have to agree that the coating which LG uses on their TVs is just superb. It is the best compromise between contrast and reflections so it's sad they decided to use different coating on this monitor.

Now if we consider the price, which is $1k, which is pretty much the same price as the AW3423DWF, I'd probably rather go for the AlienWare/QDOLED.

btw. Since we now have monitors with both OLED panel types, I'd be super happy if Rtings did durability test and comparison between them and establish which one is less susceptible to burnin.

9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    OnnA likes this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not sure I agree that the relatively low brightness is a problem. I keep mine at 66% brightness currently (maybe I'll turn it down) so it doesn't melt my face. The only time I can see it being an issue is if you keep it in a sunlit room, and if you do that you'll have a problem with pretty much any panel. Even the fringing on letters (caused by Microsoft sucking balls and not making ClearType support anything but a basic RGB stripe layout) isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

What is a problem however, is the completely broken HDR though, not just the HDR1000 mode mentioned by HUB. And oddly enough, it's only broken in fullscreen mode (or full window), the problem doesn't present when in windowed mode. Even in HDR400 True Black mode some games look completely wrong and washed out. To work around it in the monitor settings: Game -> Console Mode On -> Source Tone Map On. I'm not even sure about everything its doing in that mode and haven't found an explanation, but I can confirm it fixes the HDR problem.

I haven't had it for much time yet, so I'm reluctant to give a recommendation this early, but I can say I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    [​IMG]
    Dead pixels??? If yes, any way to get them back? Only used the tv for two years, as tv
    Lg cx 55 inch

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i can safely say, after my issue that i posted, don t buy oled tvs, i ve only used my tv for movies and cable tv for 2 years. and then this sudden dead pixels, that changes with color of the content, the dot is always there though no matter the content, the other lines come and go depending on what the image color is., don t buy oled tvs.... lesson learned...

15. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Pixels dying or getting stuck is not something exclusive to OLED's by any stretch. You can try reaching out to LG to see if they will cover it.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I don t think so, i bought the tv online not at lg store

17. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    That's fine, the manufactures warranty is with the TV itself, not the store. Not sure if you can check warranty status on-line with LG with the SN or if you would have to phone them. Info is likely in the TV's menu system for how to contact customer service.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    they don t cover it, only 3 months they said, now i have to pay for a whole new panel if i want to fix the tv.......pft........

20. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Anyone else pre-order the LG 27" OLED (27GR95QE-B)?