Microsoft ends official support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2023.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have W11 on a LG laptop I've bought a month ago and I really deslike the changes they have made, everything is done in order to push users towards MS services, it feels more like a Ms store than a normal OS!...

For me, W7 is the best version ever.

2. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Its a good point. I just uninstalled all the M$ Bloatware that comes with it. Make a short cut for control pannel and stick to the task bar. Make a short cut for my computer and pin it in apps position 1, settings 2 and you are half way there to liking it? :oops:----------:)

3. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Finally. A good move!

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope. I prefered Win8.x to Win7 and Win10....

Writing a new UI isn't nearly as complicated as creating a UI that everyone likes.... Win8 had a new UI and it was largely hated. I've hated every iteration of the Windows UI since it was introduced in Win95. The MetroUI was the only exception.

Now go back and look at all the hatred towards Win8..... Most of the complaints I saw, came from people who work in IT but complain that others refuse to adapt..... The most efficient UI MS has ever had for Windows is still Progman....and it's at least 30 years old. Literally everything was accessible straight from the desktop. No need to click through a bunch of unnecessary menus. It was just extremely boring to look at.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I 100% agree, all the more reason why the W10 UI is awful, because it's a very obviously incomplete mashup of old and new, where even the new parts still reference the old ones.
    Eh... I don't know if Progman was better. It was basically the same thing as having your apps on the desktop and put into folders. While it took me a few years, I did eventually prefer the Start menu, since it made things accessible without having to minimize anything. I would rather have the Metro interface than the Mac OS dock though.

As a Linux user today, I run my most frequently used apps via keyboard shortcuts, and the apps I care to actually run on the desktop (and through virtual desktops, this is fine for accessibility). Nowadays, we use a lot of web apps (which helps remove a lot of on-system clutter). Whatever else I use infrequently, I either run through start+R, a terminal, or though a Start menu analog (depends on what it is).
    Meanwhile, I use multiple computers for different things.
    All of this combined helps me run whatever I want quickly with the least amount of clutter. While I don't do this, I could always do X11 forwarding if I really felt like running a program from a different computer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    anticupidon likes this.
  6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    toss away mandatory suggested things, resizable and movable taskbar. cannot be so hard to do if third party apps did it in few weeks.

TheDeeGee and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Another super hard suggestion to understand: use a single theme settings for every non-classic desktop app, one that allow us to understand easily if it is in foreground or not. This include also the PC settings application. This is not just for microsoft, but also to other software houses! Cough cough mozilla, I had to rewrite the theme with CSS chrome injection to understand what window is in focus and what tab is currently active!

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That brings to a question.

I still own my Windows 7 Ultimate OEM boxed copy (last used in 2016), would that key work on a Windows 11 install?

Yeh, that's preventing me from moving to Windows 11. I do work on my PC and having grouped taskbar icons is a nightmare for that.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    should work. worst case upgrade to 8/8.1/10 than to 11.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Why I still run classic shell. I love the old school Windows 7 start menu. I use the windows 11 one if I am going to search for something though.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It was about time.