Review: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2022.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The more i look on the 7900XTX, the less i'm impressed.
    Outside of raster performance which mostly on par with the 4080, this card is a big compromise in other areas and total fail in power draw.
    AMD left a lot of performance on the table with this model, even still,i found it hard to be excited by it.
    The 7900xt should burn in hell, nvidia gonna sweep this card under the rug with the overpriced totally not worth it 4070ti(aka 4060).
    This is officially the worst GPU generation since Kepler.

xIcarus likes this.
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am going to agree. Worst GPU gen.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I think a lot of reviewers and therefore public are looking at the performance relative to price rather than just the performance. If any of the cards were 25% cheaper thay would still perform the same, also both 40 series and 70 series performance will increase over time so day 1 benchmarks are hardly worthy of the rants, and the rants are at AMD and NV rather than the cards performance. Thinking you can get at either company by posting negative reviews for clicks. Hopefully people see through this and choose the card they want, that is available and within their price range.

Maddness and AuerX like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    tpu's own site
    upload_2022-12-14_8-53-57.png
    computerbase

RX 7900 XT im Test Taktraten Benchmarks.png

pcgh

upload_2022-12-14_8-56-37.png

purepc, using 13900k

https://www.purepc.pl/amd-radeon-rx...art-graficznych-ktora-lepiej-wybrac?page=0,31

same as AIB 4080s
    btw that asus card is 1600eur in retail
    this is all analogous to vega, matching nvidia's xx80 with their top card, trying to save some face with undervolting that does a brilliant job on lovelace too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    pharma likes this.

5. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    @cucaulay malkin, irrespective of all that, I copied that text directly from TPU; it wasn't my interpretation, so if the numbers don't align, that's on them. Also, I'm not suggesting anyone buy these cards either (just FYI).

pharma and cucaulay malkin like this.
  6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Seems like availability is null already.
    EU apparently got like 10k units and 3k went to Germany alone.
    Etailers here selling them at a price that sits around 300€ above converted MSRP from $ - around 14-1500€ for a XTX - when with MSRP we shouldn't hit that high even with 25% Danish VAT.

Or "selling" - since they post "due to massive demand and low supply, we are not accepting any new orders on these products".

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I figured once cards are reviewed and released, look at 3-6 months before you will get something at a decent price.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The launch was a Red flag, when they spent most of it talking about the tech, and only about 2 minutes on the gaming, and only showed them against their own 6950, and not the 40s, unlike their 6000 launch, where they showed them against the 3080/90, in quite a few games, with proper fps, settings used etc...

They only showed a couple of games, no settings used, and only had that 'up to', and that 1.5x, 1.7x crap, which they were nowhere near close too.

Should have told you everything that.

They are clearly nowhere near ready, absolute disaster, even the drivers are broken, reminded me of Intels ARC reviews, as their drivers were broken when reviewed, games were crashing, some wouldn't run, had this prob, that prob etc....

They've gone backwards, they're worse than their 6000s, they should have stayed out after their Furys, absolute madness for coming back in, should bow out again now, and just stay out, as not like they need to do the gaming GPUs, they've not really been bothered about them for ages now anyway, they've got the consoles, and they do CPUs, this that and the other, fingers are in loads of other pies, should just get shot of the gaming GPUs, as they'll be in single digits market share soon, and just let Intel have their crack, as they've only got about 18% or something now.

You know its time, they've been finished for ages.

9. Bender82

Bender82 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD fury
    thank you for paying attention to this topic Ray Tracing + DLSS (NVIDIA) or FSR (AMD) I would say you should not expect the AMD 7900 series to perform as it should as the drivers are always a little behind, and FSR 3.0 is coming next year: -)

Valken likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah everything new gen sucks, except for 4090.
    there are no value picks at all.

this is what amd promised
    [​IMG]

this is what amd delivered

upload_2022-12-14_11-58-24.png

pharma likes this.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that's not a driver issue, that is a HW problem that requires another tape out.
    corrected rdna3+ will be coming as a refresh.

Valken likes this.
  12. Bender82

Bender82 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD fury
    no no i know, AMD's driver department is just always behind so there will be better drivers later

Valken, Undying and cucaulay malkin like this.
  13. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Thanks for the review, opinions are very subjective as always, so imo, AMD did a great job but not good enough yet.
    I appreciate the effort in chiplet design. Still obstacles to overcome, AMD's lowered high-resolution performance, imo comes from latency issues due to out-of-sync shader/front-end clock speeds and lack of native FP64 units.
    However, being nearly as fast and sometimes faster than NV in raster performance on 5n/6n chiplets looks promising and makes the monolytic Ada 4n look even more disappointing. Unfortunately, it turns out that Team Green didn't have any new ideas, just crazy jumbo GPU cards, unreliable 12VHPWR+4 connectors + funny "caution when bending cables" adapters. How did NV compared to AMD and Intel in a year? Ada basically only benefits from a node shrink and they can't even tame their beast in a more user-friendly form factor + you can't let a Lovelace GPU work unattended 24/7 without fear of a fire alarm.

Regardless if I was just a gamer I would prefer AMD XTX (imo XT price is the same nonsense as 4080s). AMD cards have many advantages, easily fit in my PC case, new video engine + DP2.1 + USB-C, mature 8-pin connectors. + good UWQHD + very good QHD raster performance. 7900XTX is clearly a winner and the better value for money but should cost $200 less.

Regarding RT in games (I don't like DLSS/FSR fake frames), you need a 4090 anyway, so why bother with AMD or 4080? Games already look great to me, so why do they need a RT fps derating at all? RT is a gimmick for pre-defined game assets in pre-defined landscapes and miles away from true real-time ray tracing. The only compelling benefit NV has to offer is better high-res performance, e.g. for multi-display setups and of course the widely used cuda API for AI, deep learning, big data processing + a great pro for ultra-fast rendering quality.

Finally, I'm pretty disappointed with both AMD and Nvidia. AMD did better, but compared to both companies claiming "talk talk talk, blah, blah, blah" during ultra-hyped marketing livestreams to cheering fanboys and kids, they just failed their claims in my eyes. Maybe they should save the marketing money and reinvest it back into new ideas or just to make their GPU cards cheaper, instead of wasting time and money on stupid entertainment shows or paying fanboys to hang around on forums repeating the company blah, blah, blah, which at the end, I even have to pay for when I buy a new GPU....
    Very easy decision for me this year: I will skip current AMD/NV GPUs, again.

pegasus1 likes this.
  14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Fastest things in the known universe.
    1 - Light
    2 - Your girlfriend changing her mind on what to wear
    3 - @cucaulay malkin posting a bar graph after somebody's comment

15. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    Lol using percents, mate just give us raw fps...

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    you cant figure out % ?

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    too dumb to type the site name, I left it there. amd themselves are using this method, comparing in terms of 1.5-1.7x of last gen, that is exactly the same. and what good is using fps numbers for an 10-20 game average chart. good grief..... if only the brain would match the muscles on this guy in the slightest.

no,he can't. I've been through this.

I like to be well informed.not just from one source, and not just in cherry picked games.
    even if I don't like the 4080 or the 7900, it's still good to know their strenghts and weaknesses if I'm going to discuss them here.

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Come the day of judgement, certain skills and personal traits will save humanity, but arithmetic wont be one of them ha ha ha ha

19. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    You are just a sheep, watch everything just to debate on these forums yet you cant afford any of them yourself. lol

pegasus1 likes this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I don't think you have to buy the product to have a right to comment on it lol what a tool.
    and resorting to "you can't buy this" and insults shows I was absolutely right how intelectually poor you are.
    and you certainly have 10 3090tis in your rig too.