Review: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The flagship Radeon RX 7900 XTX is in the house, powered by new rDNA3 GPU architecture and paired with 24 GB of graphics memory. The card is pitted against the GeForce RTX 4080 and manages to keep up quite well. And that's a good thing for something at 999 USD.

Read the review here.

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well, when it comes to going under water where the size of the cooler is not important, looks like il be going for a 4090.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    RT performance better than I expected, price is significantly better, performance is right, home run for AMD?

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Ouffff... no surprises here, it landed exactly as expected.
    Unfortunately, nothing that would determine nvidia fanboys to jump ship.

Neo Cyrus, CPC_RedDawn and tunejunky like this.

5. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    To be honest, that is better than I expected! Especially the xt version. I expect worse performace on rt but I'm glad that I've been proven wrong.

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    As expected, it's a contender for the 4080 in rasterization. And a contender with the 3090-3090Ti for RT.
    Strangely, just like RDNA2, it performs much better at 1080p 1440p, but loses more performance than nvidia cards at 4K.
    I wonder if the memory bandwidth and smaller L3 cache are limiting the GPU at higher resolutions.
    Still, for 1000$ MSRP, it's a pretty good deal.

Kaarme, Maddness, tunejunky and 2 others like this.
  7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Great review as always, i think there is a mistake on page 20, below the graphs it says 7900XT instead of XTX.
    Great card for the price, in comparative with the 4080

chispy likes this.
  8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD does it again. A solid card that would appeal to many and almost zero (predicted) availability, which will result in massive scalping and kill its MSRP advantage. How do you fail so exceptionally every single time? I don't know, but AMD are masters at it. It might be something worth looking at in six months when there's stock, but by that time Nvidia will have responded.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    As I'd stated and believed, the XTX falls roughly between the RTX 4080 and RTX 4090 in rasterize gaming scenarios, no surprises there. The XT falls behind the RTX 4080, but should be competitive against the RTX 4070 Ti (RTX 4080 12GB Fake Edition)

tunejunky and chispy like this.
  10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    well, ends up better than i expected but i wont be enough to steal sales from the 4080 with the small price difference.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The problem is it's not really crushing the 4080, sometimes faster than it, sometimes slower, but not beating it soundly everywhere but RT.
    Also the increase over 6900XT is not exactly the 50-70% as AMD suggested... more like 50% is the maximum, and the average is closer to 35%.

Also 40% more expensive than the current price of a 6900 XT ... resulting in basically, stagnation.
    Same as nVidia (well, nV is going backwards in performance/price)

2023 another sad year for PC gamers. Everything still expensive and will stay expensive.

FranciscoCL, 386SX, Sylencer and 2 others like this.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    If it wasnt for the fact my 6900xt will go to my son, id stick with it combined with my 5800x3d.
    4090 is the only card worth it for me as far as a jump in performance is concerned.

Cave Waverider and chispy like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Much better than I was expecting. I'm not impressed by the power draw but at least it seems to run cool enough. OpenGL and RT results were surprisingly good.

Seems to me AMD still has problem with scaling up the resolution. They seem to perform consistently great at 1080p but fall a bit behind in 4K.

I'm pretty excited for the 7700[XT] though.

sykozis, HybOj, tunejunky and 4 others like this.
  14. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Both 7900XTX and 4080 make 4090 look so good, 4090's prices might even increase

386SX and Kaarme like this.
  15. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Oofff. Was hoping to get back to AMD after team green since the 1080 but no :( All in all not enough for a full 1k$ here when you look at RT + DLSS. If Nvidia drops the 4080 to 1k before new years the 7900xtx is dead in the water and needs to drop to 850. The 4090 card we cannot even take in account since it is a completely insane beast of a gfx card but this was absolutely a bummer in performance from AMD here. This is a max 850 bucks card and the XT version well...when we see that review it is going to tank itself with the price on day one.

16. Both 7900XTX and 7900XT make 4080 look so bad that NV will have to massively reduce its price.

HybOj and chispy like this.

17. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    If someone cares about pure raster performance or just using single RT effect in game then the value is pretty good.
    I'll get one just to let nvidia know that i don't appreciate their exorbitant pricing schemes, high time to upgrade from my 2070.

brogadget, Kaarme, HybOj and 4 others like this.
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well done AMD - you delivered exactly as promised, and GJ pushing that excellent price.

HybOj, tunejunky and chispy like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia fanboys got butthurt for card being better than the leaks :D

7900xtx beats 4080 hands down when it comes to raster performance and rt compared to 3090/3090ti is not bad. Cards will also get frame generation next year so performance will even exceed them.

20. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Not what they promised, far far away from the 1.5 to 1.7 performance, more like a 1.35 on avg.

21. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Jesus that rasterization performance at lower resolutions is insane.

Honestly the card did better than I expected as I thought it'd come short of the 4080, yet it did surpass it overall while also being a decent chunk cheaper.
    RT performance tanks hard at high resolutions though, which makes me unsure what to think about the card in terms of lifespan. On one hand, AMD's drivers do improve performance over time, but on the other more and more games will be using RT in the coming years. That casts a bit of doubt over how well it'll stay relevant over the years.

Overall this card's pretty damn tempting at that price, ngl.

chispy likes this.