Need to pick someone's brains regarding high speed broadband over wifi

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Phragmeister, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Soon I'll be rocking 900mbps up and down broadband but I'm just worried my WiFi device won't operate at that sort of speed.

On the ISPs website it says "
    *Average speeds, achievable by 50% of users, are 900Mb on a 1Gb connections, 500Mb on a 500Mb connection and 100Mb on a 100Mb connection. 900Mb speed is not achievable by a single device over Wi-Fi, for this speed a wired connection is required.

I have an Asus PCE-AC68 network card.

https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/adapters/all-series/pceac68/

Will it suffice or am I going to need something better?

Thanks.

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Depends ...
    Your adapter seems to be able to do 1.2gbit/s.
    What does your router provide? The connection will be established at the highest rate / speed which both can offer.

If you plan to install an additional wireless router / access point with better speeds behind your current ISP router, ensure both routers can deliver 2.5gbit or more on their respective LAN or WAN port. Native 1000mbit/s (1gbit/s) adapters are limited somewhere around 960mbit/s.

What router model does your ISP provide?

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    id definitely hard wire and use link aggregation on my lan, or 10gbit.

then again, are your hard drive speeds capable of making use of the 900 up and down?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    SSD bottleneck is something to consider.

5. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Good point. My OS and games are on a SSD but my torrent files are on HDDs.

I may have to downgrade broadband speed.

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I don't know the model since the broadband hasn't been installed yet.

Someone commented about HDD bottlenecking and I think I'm gonna downgrade to the ISPs 500mbps package. Its more than enough and I think my HDDs will be able to handle it.

Plus it saves me a bit of money.

7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    HDDs and SSDs both can handle 900mbit / 1gbit, except your HDD is PATA.
    1gbit is about 125MB/s theoretical maximum. As long as you download a single stream to a HDD you'll get that speed.
    Problems would arise if you use a HDD for OS and download stuff at the same time, as IOPS are too low for serious multitasking. Together with multi-threaded downloads (bittorrent for example or some download managers) this brings an HDD down to its knees.
    I use an old 240GB SATA3 SSD as download directory, then I unpack or copy to a slower HDD for storage.

As long as the download target is an SSD you're fine without doubts. On a HDD it is fine until you go multi-threading (download) or multi-tasking (OS drive).

But if you want to save money, that's a valid point. :)
    (If you won't use it, why pay for it?)
    But just a tip in advance: With multi-tasked activities you won't get 500mbit down to your HDD.

On the other hand SSDs are very cheap right now, some 2TB SATA drives are about 100 Euros here, 1TB sometimes around 30 to 50 Euros. And a "one time payment" of 50 Euros to not having to worry about speeds anymore sounds fair. What do you think?

SSD bottleneck? You're serious about that, mate? We talk about 1 gigabit, not 10+. ;)
    Every SSD should be capable of delivering 125MB/s steady.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    WhiteLightning and anticupidon like this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry about the confusion on my part. You are right, of course. I was mistakenly assumed it was about 10+. Brain fart moment.

Thanks @386SX for correction and bring clarity to the thread.

386SX likes this.
  9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @anticupidon
    We all have these moments anti, no worries. I guess I either "stealth-edit" or "quick-delete" most of mine. The world cannot handle my true self. :D

EDIT: See? Another stealth edit. :p
    EDIT2: more lifes spared.

anticupidon likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you will not be managing 1Gb speeds across the PC68, expect less than to a little over half of that.

386SX likes this.

11. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    i have 2 Cisco Enterprise Access Points at my Home, 2x 3602 with external 6db antennas. depends which device i connect and to what frequency (2.4 or 5ghz) the range and speeds are so not predicted and there is no guarantee that you can have 1gbit over wireless.

But i would do it like this: before you even consider to test your wifi device over your isp, plug a desktop pc into your router, make sure its auto negotiation and no duplex / speed missmatch and download „iperf3“ tool. run here as server.

then download on your device iperf3 which you have connected over WiFi and run iperf3 as client. Iperf3 is only simulating mbits without to write data on m2s, ssd- or hdds… so you can tell you test your Throuput within your LAN network without to go out to the internet.

If you cannot even reach here near to 1gbit then you can start test wireless channels… noise ratios, clients power depends how much settings your wifi router has got. Remember also if you have wifi adapter with max 1.2gbit on the paper but you connect a second device with max 54mbit wifi speed, your whole wifi network will be impacted by that.

I was even running spectrum analyzer at my home using cisco spectrum analyzer to scan walls and bad signal coverage to know how to place the apps. Wireless is very complex when it comes to stability.

In my case: i have always stable 550mbit download, what i also have from my company (i work for an isp here ) but i am happy when each of my clients have 20mbit up and 20mbit download on wifi. Even my sons desktop doesnt reach more and he is playing fortnite and watches youtube on 2nd screen and it is still enough. Quality is much better then huge speeds without stability.

What router do you have?

Br

12. Software Dev Expert

Software Dev Expert Active Member

GPU:
    Integrated
    Routers provided by ISPs are often not the best. There are many third-party Multi-gigabyte routers out there, although speed depends on distance from the router of course... and configuration settings regarding frequency band and channel used that can be found in the wifi router settings.

The 2.4Ghz faces a lot of interference by bluetooth devices from my experience, having a bluetooth speaker on makes my fibre connection drop to dial-up speeds. Whereas 5Ghz provides the speed I actually pay for