Nvidia, we need better sharpen, for DLSS and in general

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by aufkrawall2, Jul 23, 2022.

1. fatezeroart

fatezeroart Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It‘s working for me! checked with the DLSS SDK, now Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy have DLSS sharpening disabled by default, no more motion flicker with DLSS enabled, you're awesome.

2. Damborino

Damborino Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think this does get rid of the sharpening itself in Uncharted, but there is stil some shimmer with palm trees during motion for example. Didn't get the chance to test it further but it is definitely an improvement over any default value, including 50.

3. Damborino

Damborino Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    SDK works always but you can't remove the watermark in the lower right. I'm playing in HDR on an OLED and the watermark is sometimes blasting at maximum brightness so it's very distracting.

4. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Okay, so hex edit does work, but only when applied to u4.exe, not on tll.exe (The Lost Legacy) with I tested earlier, Jesus Christ, why do they make it so difficult

5. Damborino

Damborino Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I remember the other hex fixes for TAA/CA etc working only with u4.exe originally, then there were separate fixes for tll.exe specifically.

6. NoLikes

NoLikes Member Guru

GPU:
    1080TI
    For the lost legacy supposedly you can crave the sharpening off with 44 8B 85 F0 01 00 00 > 45 B0 4B 90 90 90 90 on the first appearance.
    After having made a backup off course.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Damborino and KoKlusz like this.
  7. fatezeroart

fatezeroart Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I just used the SDK version to check if DLSS sharpening is really disabled by default, with this hex edit you can use any DLSS version now.

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Thanks a lot @NoLikes , it works perfectly in Spiderman.
    For Uncharted, it unfortunately prevents the game from starting (error message app error 3:0000065432). Wonder why it works for others?

9. NoLikes

NoLikes Member Guru

GPU:
    1080TI
    I have no idea, check there no other instances, verify the file and do not modify the files.
    In alternative try to delete "C:\ProgramData\Naughty Dog\" and empty the "AppData\Local\NVIDIA" too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  10. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Good catch, haven't noticed that.
    This works, thank you. Sanity restored.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/comments/ycka0s/uncharted_4_tll_taa_dof_ca_fixes/
    Ditto for The Lost Legacy.

Damborino and aufkrawall2 like this.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Thanks a lot, it works!
    Though it seems the game dev also otherwise did a sloppy job implementing DLSS in Uncharted, its temporal stability of certain foliage elements etc. is just super terrible with any DLSS version.

12. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Temporal stability in this game sucks, no matter of AA method. DLSS is still the best, followed by TAA, and FSR just falls apart in motion. It was the same on consoles, seems like ND just botched motion vectors.

13. NoLikes

NoLikes Member Guru

GPU:
    1080TI

Are you seeing the same instability even with the original value?

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Hard to say, the blur or ringing seem to mask other artifacts a lot.
    But this foliage also looks calmer with FSR 2 vs. unpatched .exe and DLSS sharpen at both 49 or 50:
    [​IMG]

I think this game is a hopeless cause, also due to its ridiculous mouse input stutter.
    In Spiderman, temporal stability with patch-disabled DLSS sharpen is solid (including less blurry DLSS versions like 2.4.12 v2 or 2.4.6), despite much higher frequency content.

15. NoLikes

NoLikes Member Guru

GPU:
    1080TI
    In Marvels Spider-Man Remastered there no additional value that could be tied with variable.
    Disabling DLSS sharpening in this way could also off something motion vector related or enable some other mask but it mostly depend by the implementation and ultimately by the value correspondence.
    It should be straight forward visible anyway, like a punch in the eye and especially visible with a DLSStoFSR2 implementation.

aufkrawall2 likes this.

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    If I had to make a guess, then I'd say indeed something's additionally broken when patching out DLSS sharpen in Uncharted, yes. That temporal instability is very apparent.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Is there any fix for blur when moving using dlss?

18. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Okay, so I've found a fix for Uncharted with relatively little compromises: Install Reshade, download Gaussian blur and ReVeil shaders. In game crank up sharpening to 96, in reshade put Gaussian blur shader between ReVeil top and ReVeil bottom, set blur to 0.4 strength.

The downsides are that it will blur the UI a bit and cost some performance (around 5% on 3080).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Can't they just add DLSS slider in a same way as Sharpen filter via Geforce Experience?

20. Damborino

Damborino Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Does this produce better results than just disabling the sharpening with the hex edit from earlier? I didn't test it out for long but it seemed to remove sharpening with some slight shimmering in foliage, but it's very likely that the shimmering was there before the edit too, not really sure.

That or a NVCP global setting would be ideal, as I don't want to see that crap in any game considering how bad their sharpening is, but so far I don't even know if they acknowledged the problem anywhere. The worst part is that this only became a problem in the last year or two and is now in nearly every game, while the DLSS versions up to around Metro Enhanced Edition didn't even have the sharpening parameters afaik..