Epic Games Store Is Giving A Lot Of Games Away In December

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2022.

1. ApostolicFire

ApostolicFire Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX760
    I'm not sure why people will refuse to have another game launcher, especially one that offers good free games. I bought 2 games on there and I have 321 free games. I've even gotten the free games that I already have on Steam because it supports the game developers.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sure at this point have more free games from epic.. then steam and gog game i wbought combined, still refuse to install there launcher

Steam and GoG galaxy are only launcher i have and will willing put on my pc. and GOG is only there cause lets me TRACK all my game across my pc,and consoles...

I dont appreciate have one launcher launch another launcher there exclusivity with in the PC system via diffrent launchers which is BS imo.

I sure IF i actual bother to remember bout December giveaway I will have more free game I will probably never touch. i havent even been remember the weekly altely

3. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    epic game launcher sucks it says I need a company name and a vat number!....I can't sign in and play anymore just tried...

what the hell is a vat number and why do I need to buy a company just to play their game?

Edit: I click sign in using Facebook...Worked.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well to all the people that deny to get egs and grab the free games to not support epic .... Actually since you have 0 interest to give any money to epic ever .... You actually helping em by costing em nothing , they most likely have contracts with the creators to pay em specific amounts per game given away or per milestone in numbers ! So with out kidding the best way to harm epic is to claim the free games and never buy anything from em.
    Personally I do not hate epic , timed exclusives are bad , on the other hand unreal engine 5 and how they monetize it just moving gaming forward ! So I am kinda in the middle about em .

I do understand people that are refusing to install it though, if I was not I would be a hypocrite! Since I deny to install ea's origin or get anything from ea !

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    People still crying about EGS or game launchers. God damn what a bunch of babies.

Play games and enjoy them. What a concept.

You literally can disable all launchers not to run at startup and only run when you run a game. Or you know you could pirate the version of the game you buy to play without the launcher. Or just whine more and more online.

screwtech02, chispy, gianluca and 4 others like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have more games on Epic than I do on Steam and I've never bought a game on Epic while I do buy games on Steam.

lol...

Thanks Tim.

7. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I have no quams with the EGS launcher. It woks fine, just like the Ubisoft, Battle.net, Steam and Origin launchers. I've bought games on all of them. I only allow Steam to start with windows. The others load when I go to play a game on them. At worst, I have to wait a couple of minutes for an update, or re-login. No big deal.

EGS has had repeat discounts on their store several times that have gotten me to buy games there. I got Borderlands 3, Deathloop, Control, Death Stranding and a few others at historical lows on their store.

I don't get being picky about launchers, and I don't get the consumer activisim. To each their own.

8. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Nope, they will not be panicKing. And no, there's no "anti-consumer" bs. The only anti-consumer bs is your own (and people like you). Steam doesnt care about you, you owe them no loyalty and competition is good. Everyone who whinges about Epic is doing so for arbitrary reasons that have no basis in fact nor logic.

I play games, not launchers.

Embra, TheDeeGee, GoldenTiger and 3 others like this.
  9. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Free games is free games, I'll take what I can. I don't care about drama.

10. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    You can forget 'next gen gaming', I've become a solid 'last gen gamer'. With so many games to choose and play, I am never short of options so I don't need the newest games just for something to play. You only need a middleweight GPU to max out a game's graphics settings and with so many games now becoming free within a couple of years the savings are huge. As I still get to play the games I want to, albeit a bit delayed, I don't feel like I am missing anything either.

Valken likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    No, no. Let him feel good about not having a whole other icon on his pc.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ubisoft is meaningless in 2022. How is epic anti-consumer? The sales? The lower fee on developers to publish their games on their platform? Or the free games they give away weekly?

13. Epic has access to the best launcher on PC: Heroic Games Launcher (technically legendary, but with a neat GUI)

Compared to EGS, Heroic is lightweight, runs natively on Linux, and you can do proper game restores and data validation (with multiple threads! miles faster than Steam). And it lets you log-in with GOG too.

No need for EGS whatsoever with Heroic. Didn't even realize GOG had their own launcher, and I'm not sure what benefit it would have over Heroic :p

Has nobody heard of Heroic prior to this? It handles Windows games on Linux with more ease than Steam with Proton.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2022
    GoldenTiger likes this.
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    But but but I can add all them games into Steam or GOG launcher, too.. without EGS...

Not sure when this place became North Korea where people were NOT allowed an opinion or choice without being harassed but alas...

15. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Your opinion is noted, but that doesn't mean that others can't have theirs.

Lol at the complaining about Epic.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I have 40 games on Epic... I bought 2 of them, I have 9 on GOG.... I bought 1, I have 20 on Origin all paid for and over 100 on steam with 2 may be 3 freebies....how dare Epic and gog force me to install there launcher to get some really good games like Observation, Soma, Rage 2 and Observer, and to make matters worse... I got Observation on discount.... awful just awful... what a way to treat people, Epic should be dragged out in to the street and be flogged in public for this disgrace, another thing that gets my goat... epics launcher uses 0% of my cpu when its idle and 95mb of my 32gig of ram when its idle...what a ripoff.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Maddness and GoldenTiger like this.
  17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree with this 100%. Seriously , what does it matter? Its not hurting anything. In a perfect world, yes, Just Steam would be good. The only reason not to do it is if You and all your friends have all your games on Steam and you like to do Co op stuff. I have a friend in that predicament. But, otherwise.. WHO CARES! A lot of people cut their nose off to spite their face.. While I'm playing games on Epic launcher, you guys can keep whining about why a certain game isn't on steam.. It is what it is !

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Have about 200 games or so on EGS. I paid for none of them :p That's actually way more games than people buying consoles have in their libraries.

From the games I played so far, most actually didn't require the EGS launcher. After downloading, I quit the launcher and just ran the exe. They worked fine.

19. Are you against this as a consumer? This "exclusive" is a free 90MB download and an account. People support signing-away their computers running Vaolrant and hog-up resources with Discord like it's no problem, but all of a sudden have morals about a company giving free games. You can't possibly be against timed exclusives in this context unless you're a shareholder of a competitor launcher.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    start -wait game.exe
    :: game starts, launcher opens

taskkill -f -im Epicgameslauncher.exe
    :: exit game, launcher is closed automatically