What would it take to push you to quit PC gaming or move to console?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Serotonin, Nov 23, 2022.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I remember my shock when I discovered that games (on disks) for PS2 are not playable on PS3... I bought PS3 as a gift (with couple of games), and kids were very impressed with new games, and then we tried to launch their fav PS2 games on new shiny console...

PS I understand that HW is not compatible, and that games are coded much more closer to hardware, but I was sure that each new generation of consoles has emulator for games from previous generation.

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    If we can "dual boot" a console, like the PS5 with KB and Mouse into a Linux Desktop so I can do "pc" things, I would totally consider it. Then jump back into PS5 mode for games.

I asked many times about this when the Crypto GPU prices went crazy...

3. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    in general, nothing. PC will always be the first choice for me.

yeah i can relate to this. my daughter is 3 weeks old so lately i barely touch my PC and not to mention using the headphones. everything is done in the living room.. even reading game news or w\e.
    good thing babies eventually grow :)

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @coc

Congratulations!

coc likes this.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I’m right behind you sir.

TaskMaster likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    My list of things I would need:

Mouse and keyboard.
    Tweakable game graphics settings, including ini file tweaks.
    GPU settings (like you get with the nvidia control panel.)
    External tools like RTSS and Profile Inspector.
    Cheap games (like I get on Steam and GOG sales.)

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Guess I would need a TV first.

8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I have consoles, but I rarely play on them and it's usually games I can't get on PC at all. I do most of my gaming on PC, be it Desktop or Steam Deck.
    Not sure what it would take to move to consoles entirely, perhaps if they become more powerful than the PC, support Keyboard and Mouse, HOTAS, etc. (which the Xbox Series X dies in many games already), allow free tweaking of settings (especially the ability to turn off motion blur and DOF) and ideally, if PC games start to work on them.

9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    You can connect consoles to monitors, too, you know. ;-)

XenthorX likes this.
  10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It was once said that Nintendo has so much money that they could have 5 failed consoles and still be good.

I sold my switch a while ago with a ton of games. I don't miss it, its a good system but its power is pretty laughable now. CSteam Deck has proven that to no end. I hope Nintendo have seen what Valve have done and emulate it in some way with the hardware. Ditching Nvidia in favour for an AMD based system.

Imagine a Switch 2 with a custom 6-8 core Zen3/4 SoC and either RDNA2/3 iGPU, an OLED 1440p screen and a 6-8Kmah battery. It could even take advantage of FSR2 or 3 for better frame rates and battery life.

11. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    ... but its like pearls before the swines tbh

12. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Honestly... the only thing that would push me away from PC gaming is if the GPU price performance ratio gets much worse. nVidia and AMD are really starting to push it to far. I really hope intel can manage to drum up some comp here over the next couple generations. Because it's getting stupid here really fast.

PS3's are odd... The early models supported the backward compatability for PS1 & 2. Later models dropped the support for PS2.

Serotonin likes this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I think eventually old age is going to suck the joy out of PC building and gaming for me and I just won't care about it anymore at some point long into the future. That said, nothing will ever turn me into a console gamer. I left that well behind in my youngest years and there's no going back.

14. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I'm an older gamer and tweaking my computer and tweaking the games is part of the fun still :)

Trunks0 likes this.
  15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Getting those, 5 fps from here, 10 from there has never felt better, so rewarding

big ROBOT bill likes this.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am currently using a 10 year old i7-4770K with an RTX 3080 that was upgraded from a 5 year-old GTX 1080 Ti earlier on this year. I always intended upgrading my PC and have just bought a new i5-13600 system for delivery in the next few weeks. The current system has been excellent but I knew the CPU would limit the RTX 3080 but it was always meant for a future upgrade.

However, I will admit that with NVIDIA's current pricing model that I was seriously questioning whether I really needed a PC for gaming at all as I also own an Xbox Series X and PS5 (and an OLED Switch). The consoles are, undoubtedly, far better value right now even if they will eventually start to show their age as PC technology improves. The one area where the current consoles surpass the PC though is in loading times as those SSDs are super-fast and games are optimised to use them and also they do not require you to wait 10-60 minutes for DX12 shaders to compile or else suffer horrid stuttering in games. The annoying thing is that even if the shaders are compiled then the next time you upgrade your graphics driver they have to be recompiled. Urgh! Both the GPU pricing and shader compilation issues have made me think that this new PC build may be the last one I buy. I may as well just get a laptop for non-gaming use next time and stick with consoles for gaming. Paying £450 every 3-7 years is certainly better value and GamePass on Xbox means that I have access to lots of different games to try, even if I don't like them, which just adds to the value.

Kamil950 likes this.
  17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Electricity Prices.

Maybe not quit but defo play less

XenthorX likes this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Really believe this is what's gonna happen globally eventually.
    In 20 years everyone will have switched to 250W console gaming or even cloud gaming.

Passus likes this.
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have no intentions of quitting PC gaming because some games, like FPS, RTSs and others, are much better on a PC than a console.

But at the same time i also like consoles a lot, i have a PS4, a Xbox S and a Switch, so i also game on them.

Regarding my current system, my 7600K is already "old", so i`m already planning my possible next system.

And i´m also considering replacing my 1080Ti for something better, i`m seeing a Saphire Nitro+ 6800XT OC for around 700€, it`s a lot of money but i haven´t spend a cent on a GPU for the last 6 years so maybe...

20. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    So, consoles are becoming PCs, which is something i predicted! The difference is that PC is a tool with which you can earn money, be creative.
    Btw, console games are more expensive, and you don't need 4090 or new fastest CPU to play games on high resolutions.

About prices, people who buy Nvidia overpriced crap are the problem. Just look how people rejected this 4080 nonsense. The same they should have done with the 4090, and you would see how prices go down.
    Don't blame Nvidia for high prices, blame yourself!

tunejunky and Passus like this.