Class Action Against nVidia for 4090 Meltdowns Submitted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by BLEH!, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    They easily could have just stayed with the current standard. Never hear one person complain of using 3 8 pins on a high end gpu.
    Id be pissed to buy a 4090 and have such a horrible connector coming out of it, especially if it was vertically mounted.

Vertically mounted gpus is probably the best thing for PC aesthetics in a long time in my opinion. I knowkinda of topic but some relation.
    My problem is that Nvidia doesnt read the market, or listen to anything their customers want. They push what they feel makes them look like some kind of innovator for bleeding edge tech. And smear AMD when they do something innovative.

If the 4080 was properly priced and didnt use the same connector as the 4090. Id really consider one to upgrade my 6800xt. But since this debacle, Im just gonna get a 7800xt or 4070ti if its not a POS connector.
    I know how to properly insert a connector, I dont rush things. But I just can not support this kinda of crap. Its been hard to after how douche bag like Nvidia acted with the GTX 970 vram situation.

Nopa, carnivore and Airbud like this.
  2. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Plug be damned

If the 4080 is around $1,500 how much will the 4070 cost? $1,000?
    RTX 4060 $800?

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If the RX 7900 XTX or whatever it is competes with the 4800 and is 2/3 the price, that seems like the better buy...

chinobino likes this.
  4. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    But!...I love playing video games?....I have a good job, a beautiful wife and a gorgeous granddaughter...

58 years old and still loving those new graphics!

I finally got around to playing Red Dead Redemption 2 the other day!....(beautiful game) Love it!
    storyline is crazy/cool...

Dragam1337, mohiuddin, Valken and 2 others like this.
  5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Maybe you should put your google-fu to work instead of defecating on a tech forum.

The 12vhpwr connector is Intel designed with input from vendors,
    the adapter cable is designed by NTK/Astron with input from Nvidia.

Some aib cards are harder to plug in then Founders because of second sourcing or using a custom Receptacle (Asus Tuf)

6. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    excuses excuses....(alibis, apologies, defenses, justifications, pleas, reasons, blinks (at), brushes (aside or off)

Not my fault.

brogadget and mohiuddin like this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Not only aesthetics. 80's/90's desktop towers had vertical mounts by design most of the time.
    All servers I know have vertical PCIe slots.

Why not take what worked for servers and use it in client computers?

Agonist likes this.
  8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So Intel designed not so good cable. And adapter is just meh but needed. They could've waited for wider adoption of the connector tho since zero PSUs have such right now.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Would probably be better than those stupid PCIe extenders.

386SX likes this.
  10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Will u believe if i say this....
    I haven't play RDR2 yet. Want to upgrade my 980ti and display before that.

Airbud likes this.
  11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    For 1/2 the price in here looking at the 1st price listing...
    But they are not here yet (and no one rush on NVidia either), the real battle will be post xmas and next year.

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm good, just upgraded from a Fury to a GTX 1080 :p Staying with the times here ;)

rl66 likes this.
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can't use my NH-D15 with a 14CM GPU : /

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    A lot already get old chassis and renew them with the disparition of 5"1/4 on new frame, also the USB port size is standard on most and so can be change with UDB 3 A or C just using screw, and most of the time they are made in sturdy metal (made to last :) )

Of course... no RGB and no windows in tempered glass. :)
    But you can add it if you know how to use your hands.

15. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I own a BeQuiet Dark Base 900 (non-Pro) and I disabled all RGB in my case.

But you're completely correct about the metal frames of old towers. I would love to see an overhauled Chieftec AT big tower (those really big ones) with today's hardware in it. ;)

rl66 likes this.
  16. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    The solution is to get back to the $1000 dGPU limit. 4090 at $899 or $999 would be praised to heaven even with dogshit connector and just DP 1.4a. The mentalities/hostilities toward "nVIDIA" post-Ada launch wouldn't be this fatal.

17. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Not very frequently, but sometimes I watch GN for entertainment and always liked it, but this time GN (video above) is telling complete BS. As long as a connector or cable or adapter is specified for something, for example SIG- PCIe5.0 conform, I can connect it and can rely on its given manufacturer specifications. So, no matter which cable I use for my GPU as long as it is ATX/ PCIeX.X conform, NV or any other company must guarantee, at least during warranty period. So, it is complete BS that cables or adapter must have a NV proofed or something label, maybe I got GN wrong here, but it is how I understand its video statement on this point.

The whole thing would not interest anyone on this planet, if it were a $159.- and not a $1.599.- card + NV wouldn´t claim we are best of best with their "crazy marketing entertainment shows" kidding everyone.

A law suit alone, if it can be justified or not, has such a huge impact on NV image and reputation, as well, and especially, a large impact on its professional domain image, that in the end, it doesn´t matter which part was designed by whom and if it is used or not, and it doesn´t matter if it is RMA, warranty, or whatever, or not.

And especially every owner of NV company (share holder), I bet, would appreciate greatly a law suit in this case, because it will defenatly increase company value !!!! lol....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  18. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    Wanna hear Linus and (HWUB) Steve's personal takes on this fiasco.

19. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    The best reputaion on this forum you can earn is, when Troys defender, who fell during the siege, criticaly replies to your statment.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you got it wrong.

21. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Sry GN