The MTT S80 Chinese GPU has the performance of a GeForce GTX 1060

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 likes this.
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    And so much for china coping US GPU tech .... decade behind.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Jenda

Jenda Guest

GPU:
    6700XT 12GB
    I like this gpu. The performance/price ratio is good. I would buy this one for second PC. Why not.

4. HHawk

HHawk Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900 XTX (watercooled)
    <s>Not a GPU for 30 USD!</s>

Oops... Just noticed the price. :eek:

5. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

The days of someone coming out of the blue with new GPU architecture close in performance to the current market are long gone. S3 with their Savage 3D using their S3 MeTaL API (S3TC texture compression which later was integrated by Microsoft as DXT in DirectX) and PowerVR Kyro with their Tile based renderer were the last ones and this was more than 20 years ago. Both failed to stay competitivein in the Desktop segment back then by failing to incorporate working or at all Hardware based Transform and Lighting(T&L or TnL) introduced with DX7.0.

So don't expect some company coming out of nowhere Chinese or not to come up with something new and competitive from the first revisions of its chips.

Solfaur, schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    We're lucky if Intel don't abandon the GPU ship again.
    You absolutely don't need the very best to sell, just a compelling price/performance with stable driver for optimal usage.

schmidtbag and DARKSF like this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Using over 100W when idling and doing well in synthetic benchmarks. Considering crypto miners never idle their graphics card and the synthetic benchmarks could reflect mining performance better than games, maybe it's exactly as planned.

schmidtbag and Picolete like this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    if they could sell it for $100 maybe

9. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Probably doing some hidden background work

Silva, EspHack, Ivrogne and 1 other person like this.
  10. I'd be interested in it just to see how it handles, but that idle power is higher than I'd care for to be using daily for general tasks. Maybe it could be used for an on-demand cloud server where it can shut the GPU off entirely when it's not being used?

11. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    That must have been the only model they could steal so far. Better step up the Intellectual Property theft China!

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Price and performance good? Thats funny.
    Its 110w idle and only as fast as a 6 year old mid range gpu.
    $200+ for that. Haha as bad as the 4080 pricing.

Silva likes this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For a start is not that bad.

And sometimes, the start is the hardest part.

386SX likes this.
  14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd have to agree. It's not that bad of a first attempt. Not as good as Intel's, but Arc wasn't actually, by far, Intel's first GPU because they have been makig iGPUs for a long, long time, and there was some low-power discrete prototype earlier as well. Plus Intel could easily hire some skillful, experienced people, even if they hired Koduri as well. However, recent history has shown that the Chinese have the mentality to get better fast. If this Moore Threads company stays afloat, I'd expect it to make quick progress in the future. The Chinese chip making technology would need to keep developing fast as well, though.

15. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    So a noname chinese company can make a better GPU than intel with infinite amount of RD budget?

Wow

16. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    All competition is good. Targeting any market and having competition reduces overall demand on the big players and will help tackle absurd pricing.
    Also 1060 performance for a relatively unheard of company isn't bad, though weird power consumption numbers so unsure what to make of that.

chispy likes this.
  17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Maybe if it was, say, $130-$150ish, it might be interesting. Even then, I'm not sure I have the guts to roll the dice.

I bought a GTX970 back in 2014 for $340. It's hard to get excited or even interested about a "new" card, 8 years later with similar performance, from an unknown company and it has odd idle usage... but still costs effectively ~$300. Who would actually want this over the lengthy list of better, cheaper cards released in the last 8 years? Even the Intel cards would be much more appealing and those aren't very appealing either.

Still, as mentioned, I'm glad other companies are trying to break into the GPU landscape and GTX970 performance isn't terrible, my 970 is still in use in my girlfriend's PC. The new player on the scene part is great. :)

18. Toreslee

Toreslee Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Gaming X tri
    chinese spy hardware on my pc ? no thanks

Silva likes this.
  19. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Still hoping Intel keeps the ARC alive AND improves drivers/support for API's ... at least they priced the A750/770 competetive and those gpus are in the bracket where most gamers are.
    A chinese manufacturer that in short time manages to out a 1060 performance gpu, it DOES stink a bit of copycat hehe ... that said, more competition can only be good for us (doubt anyone outside china will pay 300+ dollars for that performance) ...
    The past couple of yrs pricehike from both Nvidia and AMD needs to be stopped...and since ppl can't hold their horses and NOT buy overpriced crap...well.. then we need the competition ;)

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don`t think that this company is trying to compete directly against Nvidia and AMD.

I think this is another move from China to become more independent from Europe and the United States, specially.

We have to remember that GPUs are becoming more and more important in the server/professional space and China doesn`t want to suffer from a possible tech embargo from the EU, like it`s already happening at some level.

carnivore and 0blivious like this.