AMD Removed RDNA 3 Efficiency Comparison to RTX 4090 from slide deck

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 likes this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Stay safe AMD.

Nopa, AuerX, mohiuddin and 3 others like this.
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup :D

4. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Yeah, and with their very "good" marketing campaign I'm surprised that they did not show a picture of their flagship card wrapped in a condom:p
    If it is the same guy that was in charge of the last series launch why he is not fired - AMD marketing department is a disaster.

AuerX and Solfaur like this.

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    got rekt, then trash talk, look like we are back to Vega era :D

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Here's my theory:
    Behind the scenes, AMD is targeting the 4080 in overall performance. This has backfired twice:
    First was when the 4080 12GB got downgraded, so, that means AMD only has the 16GB to compare to, which means they might have to bump clocks to be more competitive.
    Meanwhile, the 4080 16GB was a bit strange in that it overall consumed less power than advertised. This was probably a curveball to AMD, where the 4080's better-than-advertised performance-per-watt meant they could no longer reliably tout efficiency of RDNA3.

JamesSneed, xIcarus and GSDragoon like this.
  7. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    The 4090 is actually not near as bad as people think/thought it was going to be. The 600w power limit is not even needed to hit max clocks/voltage. The 3090 wanted quite a bit more power to reach max clocks without being power limited, and that was only attainable with one of the 1000w vbios'. They were still pretty limited even with the 520w KPE vbios.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The 4090 is bad only because it comes already overclocked so it can shine in reviews/benchmarks.
    If we dial down the power usage, then the card becomes very decent in that regard.

Is the same thing with the new 13xxx or ryzen 5xxx series.

Why_Me likes this.
  9. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    They still have plenty of headroom. Stock boost clocks are around 2800mhz and most of them have another 200-300mhz left in them. These are no different than every single GPU or CPU made in the last several years in that you can always get better perf/watt with an undervolt.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seeing how Nvidia can make people pay 1200 dollars for an x080 card, and the flagship basically has as much use for a price upper limit as a Koenigsegg car, I'd say it doesn't matter what the AMD marketing department does or doesn't do. It won't change anything.

11. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    See Sam Naffzigger from AMD here.

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Because it won't be better at 4k. Now please performance numbers and prices.

13. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    Can you show me who is buying the 4080s?

https://www.pccasegear.com/lp/geforce-rtx-4080

https://www.umart.com.au/pc-parts/c...r_attr=156455.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

They are not moving stock here in Australia, the 4090s will be back on shelves starting Dec and I expect them to not move either, the enthusiast who did get the 4090 all have their 4090s that were the 100k worth worldwide.

The 4000 series is going to be the shortest-selling card ever.

Expect to see lower prices early 2023.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    They will go down if AMD perf numbers are even remotely close to what they say.

Right now AMD RX6 series out sell nvidia by big margin in EU. Just look at 6600/6700/6800XT prices.

15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    AMD GPU prices don't matter. They produce like 10 GPUs in the first 3 months. Even if you want one, you can't buy one, and afterwards it's already old news. It's been like that for the past 3 or 4 generations.

16. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    But... but AMD drivers are awfully garbage and AMD's RT performances are terribly bad. AMD's Decoder-Encoder sucks, AMD doesn't have cool 3rd-Party tools like nVIDIA community has, and AMD doesn't offer as many driver features, as many useful gimmicks or as many graphic features as nVIDIA does.

That's what they say when bringing up Advanced Micro Devices' graphic cards.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I don't know . My model works goods :)

Nopa likes this.
  18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The thing is that they still sell as much as Nvidia (Jensen) expected them to sell. I'm fairly certain I remember reading about Nvidia reducing the wafer orders a long time ago already. They probably shifted it to the server products, which they want to sell to China as much as they can before the trade restrictions hit. From a business point of view it's already a success if the sales are as much as you expected, even if it doesn't sound good to tell the investors the revenue from any sector will practically crash compared to the last year. But that's how business is. Even if you were selling a cure for cancer, at some point the market wouldn't grow anymore.

Yesterday I had a look at the sites of a couple of big stores here, and they have very, very few AMD graphics cards to offer. They do carry considerably more Nvidia 3000 models, although obviously not as much as a year ago. This is hardly anything new, but it's still kind of sad to see how it's not only the customers enforcing the 20% AMD, 80% Nvidia market shares, but the stores here are very much enforcing it as well by not even offering AMD anymore. It's even sadder when the net has been full of the "GPU prices crashing" news for months now. It ain't happening here, for sure, because the stores aren't selling anymore. That being said, I do understand the stores want to be left with the absolute minimum stock of old wares when the new gen is out.

Nopa likes this.
  19. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    I think 80% is a bit optimistic, the real figures maybe even less than 20% for AMD. The situation is almost like 87%-90% of dGPU market belongs to nVIDIA. Doubt this gen is gonna change much for AMD. I'm not sure if it's because of mindshares, favoritism, negative things associated with ATi/AMD since the 90s/2000s or just simply people's thoughts that AMD GPUs will never be as good as nVIDIA's in both Hardware & Software that motivate them to keep staying/sticking with nVIDIA forever and never consider alternatives no matter how low AMD GPU prices are or how much Radeon drivers have improved.

Just GPU = nVIDIA tribal belief/mentality.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Kaarme likes this.
  20. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    AMD will have a hard time this gen, regardless of Raster performance.
    People who drop serious cash on a GPU will expect all the bells and whistles. Even if they never get to use them.