AMD: "Stay safe this holiday season"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2022.

1. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Atleast they are honest.

Cyberpunk 2077 is not a good RT benchmark to begin with.
    1 year ago when I activated RT the headlights did not even cast shadows when hitting a light pole.
    Now after patches, they cast shadows even without RT activated, so patches to the game can make a bigger difference in lighting and shadows then turning RT on or off.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I remember Nvidia making a video making fun of themselves for the 5800 ultra. That was interesting for it's time.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And you clearly don't know that CP2077 is not all games. What I was saying if all games were RT games half price would make sense but they are not. So it doesn't matter in grand scheme of things and once it is everywhere both of these cards will be weak as heck.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I got a second 6800 XT for 500€. While 3080 would've still been 800-900

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    For 99.9% of existing PC games out there, you don't even need a new GPU to enjoy them.

Obviously the majority of people who pay lots of money for new GPU are gonna play new AAA games, where RT is becoming the norm, even AMD sponsored titles are pushing for RT just to get more sale.

So yeah, if you buy 1000usd GPU just to play old games (the 99.9%), chances are you are the niche.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I suspect the chiplet design will be a weak point in terms of raw performance until they are a gen or two out. Kinda like Zen 1 was to Zen 3. However if it's only as "bad" as a 4080 for some $100s less then I think that's not too bad over all.

Maddness and Vananovion like this.
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well don't touch that many RT games even if I do play new games. Most I've gotten haven't had RT so I don't know really. Some AAA games have it but often they aren't even good games...

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    The only RT game I care about is Metro Exodus PC Enhanced, the others I don't give a crap about as raster performance is all I care about. I've already upgraded my CPU to an R9 5900X, upped my RAM to 2x 16GB, gotten a new 2TB NVMe M.2 drive for additional game storage, so I guess I'll have to wait till February when I get back to my home country to buy the RX 7900 XTX.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol that crap still sells for 1100€.. was as low as 950€, but then when 4080rls was getting closer they ramped up 3080s and 3090s for 100-150€..

Although I think it was only a excuse to sell 4080s for more money.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Be sure you actually were turning ray-tracing on or off while you were testing - there is an awful bug in CP2077 settings page where it tells you settings are changed but it doesn't actually change them - I noticed it when I did benchmarks (different settings got exactly same results), and I suspect the same thing happened LTT when they got in crap about wrong benchmark numbers for CP2077. I did submit bug report about it on CP2077 bug forum, but probably ignored as usual. Could be RT was off when you noticed no shadows from lights.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm in similar mindset currently tho I can play it fine with 6800 XT still

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, GPUs didn't need to draw 500W over these decades :p

amd_meme.png

Airbud likes this.
  13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thats on you though, because it certainly happened.

Just the first one:
    https://imgur.com/a/D9oEoXH#MAexSpa

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh considering how many millions upon millions of those are out there. There should be few faulty ones. The amount of this new one out there, there should be zero. But well new stuff without even PSUs that support it straight out of the box.

15. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    They can take shade from Nvidia next year when they switch to the new power connector. Just make sure you plug you plug your 12vhpwr cable in all the way. This was blown way out of proportion in the first place.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's a weirdly shaped condom.:rolleyes:

I doubt this kind of marketing will make people switch from nvidia to amd, looks more like flattering the audience you already have.

17. Gin Tonic

Gin Tonic Guest

GPU:
    Toxic 6900XT EE
  18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    that 8pin appears to be a EPS 12v not a pcie connector. FYI, probably a vrm short on the motherboard.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats called having your head in the sand.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD knows very well that no one is going to switch from Nvidia to them just because of this.

This is just a silly joke, nothing else, i don`t understand why some guys are giving so much importance to this...

Kaarme, HandR, Horus-Anhur and 3 others like this.