RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just to let you know, because I was curious, I checked what the BIOS versions in TPU vault said about the different 4090 cards.
    As long as TPU entries and data is correct, here's the table:

upload_2022-11-9_13-33-30.png

So when you're looking for the "highest numbers", the overal winner would be one of the Colorful Vulcan cards, or the ASUS Strix models.
    Maybe any one of you guys finds it interesting or helpful. I'm also curious if somebody already tried to cross flash?

DannyD likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It would not be the colorful cards, as stock power target doesn't matter. What matters is what you can set it to, in which the colorful cards are way down the list.

The asus, gigabyte and FE cards are the ones you can set to 600w.

Gigabyte cards have alot of quality control issues (cheap fans, badly applied tim), the FE has a quite bad cooler, and the asus cards often have coilwhine...

If only there weren't a gpu shortage (again), then one could get a gpu, and return it if there were any issues, like in the old days.

TheDigitalJedi and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, I only see it the way it was back then when I got my 1080TI: just get the FE and put a waterblock on it.
    One thing I'm not 100% sure (since I can't test it myself) is, if the boost clock's still "nominal boost clocks" or "typical boost clocks" which may end up higher / lower depending on temperatures.

DannyD and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The reported numbers is the base boost clock, which will be higher the lower the temp is.

My strix is just shy of 2800 mhz stock with 60c core temp.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im surprised that there is a bigger difference between 3090ti and 4090 and 2080ti and 3090ti specially with the power consumption.

As you can see 4090 pulls more than 450w in most games so im with @Dragam1337 on this one.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Something screwy going on there. The 4090 GPU clocks are almost impossibly low unless it's the worst 4090 ever made, with the vcore turned up to the max.

This is much more like reality in my experience and if you check things like the guru3d reviews, they will confirm.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My crappy Zotac boosts to 2750mhz out of the box. To reach 3ghz, most, if all require a good bump to vcore and then power use will rocket up to 500W+

Mine will do 2860mhz on default voltage. At 3ghz and the extra 50-100W, I see about 2% performance gains so leave it at 2860.

8. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    guys Im freaking out all of the sudden Im only getting 40% low utilization and low fps in MW2 wasn't like this a few days ago but today was the first time I checked the Afterburner graph so who knows when it really started,
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Asus X570 TUF
    Corsair 1000w PSU
    Gigabyte 4090

9. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just in case anybody cares: I've managed to put my GB 4090 Gaming OC into my Rig. Short Version: I'm happy!

Longer Version:
    My first 4090 was a TUF Gaming OC with rather bad coil whine. Because of this I sent it back. But it wasn't that easy for me because its cooler was so great.
    The GB Gaming OC doesn't have any coil whine that I can hear (maybe it is so high pitched that I am not able to hear it with my old tortured ears). Yes, the cooler isn't as good as the Asus TUF cooler. But it is decent. The fans can produce some noticable noise, but no rattling, hissing or anything like that - it is just a bunch of fans that do its job and move air. The best thing is the anti sag bracket. You almost can't see it and it is sturdy.
    All in all I'm really happy with my GB 4090 and I will keep it. Though it would be great if it wouldn't have those stupid LEDs. I don't like that stuff.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Which resolution are you playing at? What are your settings? Does your card report PCIe 4.0 x16 or does it drop? Could it be that you're in a CPU limited scenario? Alas, I don't have Mech Warrior 2, so I don't have any experience with it.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Guys, I'm a bit worried here about the bending. Honestly I didn't measure enough and CableMod say that the cable should be unbent for at least 3,5cm. Mine is somewhat bent from the connector but not too much.

Case slightly open:
    [​IMG]

Case closed:
    [​IMG]

At first I thought it's because he has really crappy temps (72C in GoW and 79C in Hitman) but since his clocks are higher in Hitman while having higher temps - it doesn't make sense.

Glad to hear it!

I've grown accustomed to my Gigabyte too. Best thing about it is that there is pretty much no coil whine! At first I was a bit reluctant about the fan noise but it turns out that the fans only start getting audible at ~60% fanspeed which is 1300rpm. After 75% they are loud but luckily mine haven't had the need to go that high up yet.

However I do have a problem with the fan themselves and the fan sensors (?). First : Fan 1 spin irregularly below 55% fan speed and both spin irregularly below 45% fan speed (you can clearly see this if RGB is on). Second : Fan 1 and Fan 2 have different speeds (Fan 1 are the left and middle one). Third : At very high fan speeds one of the fan emits some kind of rattling sound, almost as it's unstable. Fourth : The bracket is good but it also makes the case hum at very specific fan speeds (~53% for me).

Have you noticed any of these problems?

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  12. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    Oh crap I forgot to include my CPU it’s a 5900x
    I checked the GPU-z app and it for sure it said it’s running at PCI-E 4.0 and at 16x speeds.
    I have a Samsung Neo G9 so I’m running at 5120x1440

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    MSI did release a 600W bios on their forum for the Suprim cards. Doubt I’ll install it tho, already warming up the room enough.

14. Mei Meigi

Mei Meigi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    This 4090 probably broken or in a very very bad case.

15. Mei Meigi

Mei Meigi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    should be fine. The most important thing is to fully insert the connector.
    The adapter has a small clip. The clip needs to be pressed down to fully insert the connector. Otherwise the connector cannot be fully inserted.
    [​IMG]
    Lots people are get too used to the 8-pin connector that they ignore it completely, which melts the adapter.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey, have you tried updating the vBIOS to the latest version? If so, have you noticed that the downloaded BIOS has two versions (one for the Silent BIOS and one for the OC) and if you are on the OC BIOS now, you can only install the Silent update and vice versa? I get "BIOS version does not match" so either Gigabyte made a typo or...i don't know.

Thanks for the reply. I did hear the "click" sound, actually it was rather easy to insert the cable to the socket.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Achieved 3070MHz OC (133% PT, +100% voltage, +255 core) in SotTR with fans at 100% but I believe I can turn them down a bit :D I tried +260 but there was no difference and stopped there. I'll try a bit higher and also find the limit of the VRAM.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    By far the best looking card I have ever owned and the coolest. It will oc 3100mhz and +1660 on the memory and stay around 55-58c max. I am well happy and this is from someone that never wanted a zotac. Oh, and zero coil whine .

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    55-58 while OC or stock? :)

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Regardless, it will vary alot on a per game basis, aswell as res and fps target.

I can gaurantee that he wont have 58c in metro exodus at full tilt.