Radeon RX 7900 Series Will compete with GeForce RTX 4080, not 4090 says AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2022.

1. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Things looked pretty interesting there for a few days.

They wont sell many, If youre willing to drop around 1K on a gpu then dropping 1.2-1.3K and getting way better RT + DLSS is not out of reach at all and makes the most sense.

Nvidia has time to not only adjust price, but also performance (to a degree)

AMD's ball went down the storm drain, again.....(along with a case of fine wine)

2. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Good - at least this will stop the internet flood about how a not yet reviewed card will destroy one that is physically (at least in theory) already in stores.

I'm baffled by the fundamentalism of some people or naivety of others who think that AMD will sell a card 500$ less than the competition with almost the same performance because they are the good guys.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    mackintosh, Krizby, tunejunky and 2 others like this.
  3. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So AMD think nVidia will introduce RTX 4070 at around 900$.
    Graphics makers clearly moved tier price up & up thanks to the pandemic, the scalpers, the farmers (not the food one, the others). And now they won't return to normal pricing ?
    Ah the days where the "8" series (X8XX or XX8X depending on the maker) hovering in the 600 bucks are long gone, now it is twice the price or so. And looks like the "7" series would be shifting into 900$ instead of high/low 400/500 bucks.

Also i notice that if AMD clearly put their 7900XT in front of the 4070, they "renamed" their cards too. Previously the X800 series where competing with the XX70 series from nVidia. This market is going so wild, each other making crappy move toward the end consummer.

4. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Does not matter what they release. After what I HAD to pay for my 6700xt and 6950XT... I wont be upgrading for "at least 5 years"... Thats how long its going to take to pay off the mortgage...

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This should be no surprise to anyone. The 4090's performance was a surprise and AMD was still not the obvious choice against the 3000 series, so how is it realistic they would beat a 4090? Maybe a heavily overclocked model in 1 or 2 tests will win, but that's not enough.

It's not like the 4080 is going to be a slouch and it's not like most people are going to buy any of these high-end GPUs anyway, so does it even matter who has the fastest? What really matters is who has the best overall experience for the price you're willing to pay.
    For me personally (and not what I recommend to everyone), the obvious choice is AMD - RT is still too immature for me to invest in it, I don't care about most of Nvidia's extra features, and and I game on Linux (where AMD's support is great and Nvidia's is terrible). Intel would be my 2nd choice but they have too much work to do at the moment and I don't trust their long-term commitment.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That, with reasonable power consumption...

AlmondMan likes this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Even if Nvidia cards are faster, AMD has some (small) advantages, like smaller and lighter cards, that for me are important factors because i don`t want a giant brick inside my case.

The lower prices and lower power figures are also important.

So, both Nvidia and AMD have some differences, besides raw performance, that may help people decide which one to buy.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Well they did cancel the 4080 12GB and was around that price, and from the leaked benchmarks of the 4080 16GB(15% better than 3090ti), that card would be around 3090 performance or a little less

AlmondMan likes this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    There's a lot more gamers on a 300$ budge than gamers with an unlimited one though. I don't personally know a single person who ever bought a Titan/90 card strictly for gaming.

AlmondMan likes this.
  10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is most likely the end of the hobby. No kids are gonna be building systems in the future. These GPU prices are targeted at us. Its been fun!

SplashDown and Reardan like this.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    This is something I've been saying - They don't have the best interests of the hobby at heart anymore. It's not about having an answer for every player, hell, we don't even pretend to have an affordable option anymore. The bare minimum to really play a game, the xx60 series, the cheapest new one I could find on newegg EVEN WITH ALL THE NEWS ABOUT HOW THEY HAVE TOO MANY 3K CARDS is 370 dollars. 30 dollars more and you can literally buy a PS5.

Unfortunately they've taken the mindset of "We're going to price these GPUs so obscenely high that most people will have to settle for previous gen cards, and they'll settle for those previous gen cards with the price anchoring afforded to us by the miners and shortages.

Let me remind everyone that the MSRP of the 3060 was 330 when it was released almost 2 years ago and you're supposed to believe it's gotten more expensive to produce since then... horseshit. They just want that margin and they're willing to take a temporary hit to get you accustomed to the new prices.

AlmondMan likes this.
  12. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Of course, all the economic issues the world is having right now are simply manufactured fake news so that GPU manuf can make more profit on gaming cards.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    so much drama...

1) Nvidia knew they were going for an outlier in the 4090 - which also limits it's market. they knew they were using this as a marketing vehicle more than a gpu.

2) AMD is not to blame for selling high end electronics below the going rate (determined by Nvidia, the market leader)

3) AMD is to be congratulated for moving the technology forward. the 4090 is clearly the dead end of monolithic gpu design. size, weight, and power demands matter, just not so much in a halo. the future is MCM

4) the 4080 will sell 4-5x the number of 4090 and AMD has a hit with two choices for less and a third on its way to go against the 4070ti (the former 4080 lite)

AlmondMan, Undying, Kaarme and 2 others like this.
  14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    what're the relevant economic issues to GPU pricing here?

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    power section components and transports. before covid those were far cheaper than now.
    eg: good tier capacitors (not crap cheap tier sold for few cents on amazon) are damn costly now.
    also ship containers are become more expansive thanks also of the frac stupid winnie the pooh fail 0-covid politics ruling the PRC

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I agree with the points you made except for the last one.

The 4080 seems to be such bad value compared to the 4090 that i don`t see the point of it.

Even worse, 90% of consumers that can afford the 4080, can also afford the 4090, and between the two of them, the 4090 seems a no brainer, despite the higher price.

Maybe the review of the 4080 proves me wrong.

AlmondMan, Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    almost too many to list
    but #1 is the small vendors (i.e. "mom and pop" machine shops, wiring frame supplier, and transistor/capacitor suppliers) where 50% went out of business due to Covid
    getting back in the supply chain with their higher costs passed on. and this category is almost all in Asia - all with different export controls and labor practices across at least five countries.

but i'm in the electronics business. the company i work for supplies all of the GPU/CPU manufacturers - and our costs went up. we have to pay people more because we're in manufacturing where you cannot do remote work - even though that is desire #1 for almost all of the Bay Area.
    our costs apart from labor also went up for raw materials so we have to charge more to cover both.

let me put this very simply - the aggregated cost rise is very much like VAT - where each stage adds to cost.

AlmondMan likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

you approach the subject with logic and years of habit, which is far from a bad thing.

i wasn't talking about the merits of the 4080, i'm talking of the market position.
    as far as the merits go, i'm with you. but i'm also part of the market these cards are trying to reach. the 4090 is extraordinary by every metric including the physical - which eliminates it from my consideration. the 4080 does not require an ATX case like the 4090 does (yes, you could squeeze it in a MATX, but...airflow).

i maintain an ATX system - but i use PCIE cards, so for my gaming system (ITX) and my productivity (ATX DAW) the smaller the card with the less heat the better.
    i'm in the process of building out an AM5 system (gaming) and the 7900xt looks about perfect for an ITX solution.

AlmondMan likes this.
  19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    they have the pieces to build such a product (4090 class), the problem for amd, is that they do not have the size to design multiple big gpus at the same time. so picking their battles is far more inportant. amd could like nvidia build a 600mm^2 monster on 5nm, but what if it doesnt sell? then they are going to suffer a loss, like the r600, fiji or vega(sans crypto). a big part of the reason amd tends to innovate unique solutions , like the chiplets, is inorder to reduce design cost, if they had the size nvidia or intel does, they probably wouldn't need to do it. moving the cache and memory controllers off the main die is definitely a perfect example of this, it probably hurts performance, but now they can reused a good chunk of the silicon for their entire stack, and they dont have to use as much 5nm allocation.

Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I'm right, I work for a guy who owns (amongst other companies) several software developers, sit on a train out of any city after work, all the commuters ate gaming, bore housewives, gaming on phones. It's big business, it's also linked in with online gaming (gambling).