PC Power Plan Program?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by kProphetk, Oct 16, 2022.

1. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    I am wondering if there is program/software that I can say, set my PC to auto change power plans.

Id Like to be able to say, launch my games and it auto boost to Balanced/High Performance and when Im not gaming it auto goes into Power Saver Mode.

I suffer from a brain disease and I forget a lot more than I remember now and I am curious if such a thing exist.

I know I can manually do this each time I load a game, but most times I end up playing for hours sometimes on Power Saver Mode. I used to leave it on Balanced full time.

2. Future

Future Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8Gb
    Nvidia Control Panel > 3D settings > Manage 3D Settings > High-performance NVIDIA processor on your game.

It will be good if you share your PC specs

3. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    Win 11 Home latest updates.
    Ryzen 7 3700x 3.8 ghz (Stock Speed)
    Gigabyte B450M Mobo
    32 GB Mem 3200mhz
    Gigabyte Rev A1 RTX 2060 +175 core/+1100 mem
    PSU I think is 650w

I think I see what you're talking about. I go to Programs and select say "Destiny 2 (destiny2.exe)".

I play this the most, this will set my CPU to Balanced or High Performance and set it back to say Power Saving Mode when I close my game(s)? Ive set my GPU to High Performance.

Thank you, Ive never took the time to look and learn that part of the set up. Sometimes I am not able to get sit at my pc, I would like it to auto power save if possible.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I found this On Majorgeeks and it has a config file, but I am not sure how to add what I need for it to auto change. I used it and it will switch between power plans if I click which 1 I want, but I dont know what to add to make it work like i want.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/power_saver.html

I am also afraid of messing something up and my old self cant fix my pc back.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  4. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    Ok In the config file it says this:

# Process pooling time in seconds
    interval: 30
    # Case insensitive program names that promote the current
    # power scheme to "Balanced", otherwise "Power Saver" is set.
    balanced:
    - Unreal
    - Blender
    - devenv

If I wanted to use Destiny 2 to Balanced would I put:

- destiny2.exe

Sorry, I dont expect anyone to actually try this program, but maybe advise on the config?

Most of my games are either on Steam or Epic Game launcher.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022

5. Future

Future Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8Gb
    This is the problem :-( but what if add .exe files to programs? Steam and Epic launch lanch exe files of games or not?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  7. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    One of the ways to achieve - use PowerPerformanceUntilExit.ps1 plugin on game launchers exe-files if you play games only through them and if you do not auto-start them with Windows.

PS
    Theoretically speaking I can write for you a simple service with predefined list of exe-files. It can be even a source file for you to build (to be able to change the predefined list). All I need to do for that is to reduce the PPF source file. But since I am lazy person that would require some time to start the development. So I hope you will find PPF useful and easy to configure.

9. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    Ty so much Ill try and figure out how to use what you have shown me.

I understand and TY, But if you was able to make such a program or something like that for ppl like me, that would kick ass. I mean being able to set a .exe to load your desired power plan for it to run at say High Performance/Balanced while in use and go pack to Power Saver Mode if your not using that .exe would be the best thing out there.

For me its ok to use Power Saver while just browsing the internet or watching YT or Movies.

Thank you so much for your help, Ill post back later if I was able to get it to work.

10. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    I tried doing what you posted, but that is way above my abilities to do and understand it all. I messed around with the program I linked and was able to get it to work for Balanced settings, by just adding the "- destiny2" under the other ones listed. I then blocked the the program in my firewalls inbound and outbound settings, just to be safe on my end.

Adding a few more of my games to the list without using .exe and it works perfectly. Does exactly what I was wanting by auto Power saving when I close my games and then boosting to Balanced when I launch my games. I only have it set for games right now, but it works. Now to figure out how to use "High Performance" instead of "Balanced" and I am good.

I also set it in properties to start with my pc.

Ty for trying to help me, its really appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Process lasso can do all that and more.
    https://bitsum.com/

With it you can easily have your balanced plan for normal use, then play a game or any app you want to set a specific power plan linked to and it will change to it and on closing will return back to your default.
    There is also an idle saver mode where if you want when the system is idle for x time it switches to power saver plan.

You can also set affinity and CPU priority to any process.
    It is not free for full features but you can try it out for free (trial period).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  12. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X

Cool Ty, Im installing now to see whats its like. I actually got the program I linked to work and does the job, but if this has more options, Ill see how it works and decide between the 2 programs.

The program I pinked is pretty simple to use.
    I just set my .exe's to not have ".exe" at the end and got it working in the config file.

# Process pooling time in seconds
    interval: 15
    # Case insensitive program names that promote the current
    # power scheme to "Balanced", otherwise "Power Saver" is set.
    balanced:
    - destiny2
    - NDLAUNCHER
    - amtrucks
    - BloodySpell
    - NBA2K21
    - metro
    - NeedForSpeedHeat
    - GridLegends
    - HITMAN3
    - Fallout76
    - TheFirstDescendant