METAs new Meta Quest Pro Virtual Reality glasses to cost 1800 EUR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Quite a steep price. You should already get rudimentary olfactory functionality with that sort of money. But maybe Facebook just borrowed a page from Nvidia's pricing manual.

3. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Headset design looks great - I'd buy one, if it weren't for the price again. And no way my cheapo boss would ever buy these for us to do remote work. Now partnering with Microsoft to get Teams integration, and also all the Office AND Windows 11 into VR it seems...

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Price is high but it seems like the thing is pretty next gen. I'm sure it's more a halo product where the tech will eventually filter down to a Quest 3 at more reasonable costs.

I know people here like to crap on VR.. and I really wish Meta wasn't behind Quest because they are a shitty company.. but I think everyone should try it at some point. It's pretty nutty how easy it is to get lost in a VR game.. Alyx was an incredible experience and even half baked iterations like Payday 2 add so much value in VR. I think it does eventually get to a point where i'd want to play various games in it.

schmidtbag likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think a lot of the problem is that people expect VR to be a drop-in replacement or evolution to traditional gaming, and it's not - it's best seen as just a different kind. To crap on VR because it's not good at playing CoD or DOTA2 would be like crapping on a wheel and pedal setup for the same reason. It's the same reason why people can't handle switching operating systems (regardless of the device or which OS they came from) because they keep expecting the replacement OS to work the same way and do the same things. What's the point of even trying something new if you have no intention to adapt?

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    New stupid name to go with new stupid price? he has recup his money some how he spent how many billions to change there name :rolleyes:

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Personally, I don't want to wear a device like this especially for meetings at work like they are pitching it.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    VR could have been marketed as a sort of "additional camera angle" if motion controls were considered an "accessory." Pretty much all the fun I have in VR are games\sims that play with a keyboard, controller or joystick. There is also an emulator called DolphinVR and it is absolutely incredible, allowing most all Wii and Gamecube games to be played in VR.

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    Two strikes right out of the gate- need a Facebook account and price is way too high.
    DOA.

10. Does the Quest Pro allow for direct-display connection for PCVR instead of a encode/decode process?

That's my biggest issue with Quest 2 as the encode/decode process adds a ton of latency, more than double that of a Rift CV1. And in the case of AMD GPUs, you get introduced to a whole bag of new bugs and oddities with their GPU encoder tech.

I didn't read anything about Quest Pro yet, but I thought FB accounts weren't necessary anymore for Quest since they moved to a Meta account requirement instead, unless just the Quest Pro has a FB requirement by itself?

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah I agree with that - their idea of trying to insert VR in a work environment is really dumb. The appeal of VR is to be immersed in your environment. Who wants to be that engrossed in meetings and a simulated office? I work from home and practically everyone turns off their cameras because they want to be less immersed. But let's say you're fine with the expensive tackiness of using VR for meetings and virtual workspaces: a lot of people might be distracted by the novelty of VR and not focus on actual work. Others might get motion sickness, or their face gets uncomfortable. Others might be wearing something inappropriate (or nothing at all) and accidentally project the HMD's camera to everyone (this is less likely to happen with a webcam since they tend to just show your face or maybe shoulders).

Where VR/AR might be handy for real-world environments is to remote-control robots where maybe it's too dangerous for a human to be, or maybe where you need someone with very specialized skills but they can't arrive on the scene for whatever reason. Doesn't seem like that's what Meta's targeting though.

VR and AR are great innovations for gaming, but Meta is clueless if think it's a sensible idea for office work.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  12. I'm thinking this could be interesting for offices with cramped tiny cubicles or some other environment you don't want to be staring at most of the day

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure but the irony is if employees were respected well enough to get an $1800 HMD, they probably wouldn't be in a cubicle in the first place.

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm of the firm belief that VR is a gimmick.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Hahahahahahahahaha,.......oh wait, that is the real price! Lll

16. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800

VR and AR is very useful in some lines of work. Product design for example. It's a lot easier to visualise the design of some things when you can interact with it in VR and when it comes to closing a sale or sign off on a project its always easier if you can just pop a headset on your client and let them get excited about the big shiny object that they will be buying. AR can be incredible when working out problems remotely, a company I've worked with have Hololens and when we were troubleshooting a design it was invaluable for being able to work with them from the other side of the planet.

The problem, as always, is the cost. We've looked into hololens ourselves but it's just too damn expensive for a small company like ours. Never mind license fees for software to integrate VR into our work flow.

schmidtbag likes this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Whenever I'm reminded about facebook doing vr it reminds me of this.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah I can totally see that example working great and a step in the right direction.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    We are on the same page. I see VR having its place but I do not think it will ubiquitous like META thinks it will be. I really think META is going to die on this sword.

schmidtbag likes this.