Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Im just saying that eventhough you expect it to go flawless, there will often end up being something needing to be ironed out - never ending story of software development.

It was not meant as a jab at you.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Imho, that's fanboyism. The real hardcore buy the best possible, like this RTX4090. They don't wait either and there's no hesitation. A lot of us here have been hardcore for at least a few generations at some point in the last few decades. However, we're getting older and wiser and many are just finding it harder and harder to justify the cost. If it was more like £700-800, I would go for it tbh.

Solfaur, chispy, barbacot and 3 others like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well it's been this way ever since kepler when nvidia first pulled the sh1tty move with titan naming scheme. So it's been this way for 10 years now. Sadly the vast majority of people have just fallen for nvidias naming and marketing schemes.

waltc3 likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If I would order anything, I would settle with the TUF :) 2200€ is easier to swallow than 2800€. But the Strix sure is the superior choice here with the vapor chamber, looks and all. I guess you'll even take the OC version if the price difference is neglible?

Twice the power! We haven't seen this in a very long time. For me that's worth it as it's crazy future proof. The only gripe is some CPU bottleneck at 3440x1440.

Why_Me likes this.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'd buy it for €1000 no questions asked. And I hardly even play games any more. High-refresh 4K is what a lot of us have been waiting for, and it's been a very long time coming. In fact this is what intrigues me in Nvidia's decision to gate keep this card from 90% of the market. Maybe yields and margins aren't as good here. At this price they're not going to sell that many - and with this card's performance now public knowledge, it might also dissuade some people from buying lower-tiered SKUs and just wait for next gen. Or a Back Friday sale 12 months from now.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Couldn't have said it better. If it were me 10 years ago with the money I make right now, I'd buy this without blinking. Right now I'm not so sure.
    Cuz it's not only about the money, it's about the idea that you're getting ripped off. For all we know, this could be half price once the 3000 stock clears.

Stormyandcold and Solfaur like this.
  7. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    DerBauer did some testing with lowering power target and according to him you can get a 33% power reduction for the loss of 5 to 10% performance when you set the power target to 60%.

See his video at about 14:35

JamesSneed likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Lowering power limit is not the same as undervolting, and you dont wanna lower power limit as that will cause frequency to jump all over the place, causing inconsistent frametimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2022
  9. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    As for the price, consider that the 4090 is not just for gamers, but also for workstations, despite what the average gamer like to think about.

NVIDIA price their workstation cards very high compared to consumer cards and for this reason there is lot of people who prefer to buy their high end consumer cards instead of stuff like the professional Quadro and RTX series.
    1-2000$/€ is a lot cheaper than 5-7000$ even for freelancers, professional studios, scientific labs and companies.
    NVIDIA knows this very well and will never sell the top tier gpus cheap, no matter what.
    Thinking at the performance and the efficiency, the thing is priced even lower than what is its effective value for a person who uses gpu accelerated software for work. Especially if one considers that AMD isn't a competitor beyond the gaming market and that most of the software that makes use of gpu acceleation is better optimized (when not only) for NVIDIA.

10. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I don't agree. Titan was never much of an enthusiast/hardcore option, just like Intel HEDT never was. Those are entering workstation territory and don't really offer many benefits for a hardcore gamer. Intel HEDT would normally provide you with lower IPC but you get the benefit of quad-channel memory and additional PCI-E lines, and CPU SKUs with additional CPU cores. For gaming, you would often be paying more for equal or less gaming performance. Titan was always a bit more logical compared to going with Intel HEDT as you would get a slight increase in overall rasterization compared to the top-of-the-line non-Titan card within the same generation, but the major benefit of Titan was usually about improved compute performance, more like a cheap entry-level Quadro card without specific requirements like ECC memory.

Only downside was how NVIDIA would normally wait before they released their XX80 Ti card, being the gaming-oriented card using the full die. You would normally have to wait before jumping onto new generations as going from GTX 980 Ti to GTX 1080 didn't make much sense, you would have the GTX Titan tempting you for a while, but if you were able to wait it out you would finally get your RTX 1080 Ti that gave you 99% of all you needed from the GTX Titan for a much more sensible price overall.

One could argue that XX90 simply replaces Titan. But it doesn't really offer anything to make it the cheap entry-level Quadro card that the Titan series used to provide. The XX90 series is a pure gaming card like the rest, it just brings the same kind of price nonsense the Titan did back in the day where you can feel quite confident about there being an XX80 Ti released down the line that will give you almost identical performance for far cheaper.

11. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    You can remove professional studios and scientific labs from your list. They would normally run professional software that is very strict on what kind of hardware they support. With 24GB of video memory ECC would be a requirement for anything that requires RTX 4090 kind of performance in a professional setting. Being "consumer grade" isn't all about performance and value. In professional settings, you pay a premium just to have added security that things like ECC provide, and a lot of HCL lists from various software makers that professional utilises will require professional grade hardware for various reasons. Not saying people aren't going to use RTX 4090 for professional workloads, but it's still not a workstation card that will replace Quadro cards in most professional scenarios.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Aaaand you are one of said people.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    This is not always true. Big FPS drop in Control if you lower power limit. Nvidia engineers set card at 450W for a reason.

[​IMG]

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Really impressed with this one, Nvidia pulled an absolute madness. I'll be hoping for a 4070/ti to replace my 2080.

15. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Well well well!! Finally something that can max out my LG C2 in just about everything in 4k. All that remains now is to find out how much my current 3080 10GB with a full Alphacool eiswolf 2 kit on it can sell for. The power usage is perfect. I have an 800W wall mounted panel heater in my PC room wich i never turn on in the winter since my current PC heats up the room nicely.. Looks like the 4090 will keep me warm this winter too. I will even save 200W since i am not using the panel heater at all so WIN-WIN :). Europe prices however in my country are a bit shait because our currency vs dollar is not great right now (Norway) So i will have to shell out 2400 Euros for the MSI liquid suprim... but will wait for the start of 2023 and AMD's new cards to see where to invest.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It destroys everything by far . i wonder if AMD will have answer for that ....
    [​IMG]

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    When factoring in the sale of an old GPU waiting is unfortunately not better than selling as fast as possible. There is a chance that the 4090 will get a price drop in 2023 but the 3000-series will too so it might not matter. Either one sells the 3000 card now and gets some 550-650€ for it but pay the high price for the 4090. Or sell the 3000 card later and get 300€ for it but then perhaps buy the 4090 for a slightly lower price :)

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Deffo do it all day 1 - otherwise you will just shorten the time where your card is relevant.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  19. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I don't see any reason why one would expect the RTX 4090 to drop in price unless we get something like RTX 4080 Ti that gives you 98% the performance for a lower price, or an RTX 4090 Ti that gives you slightly better performance for the same price while the RTX 4090 drops in price until they are sold out. Unless AMD is releasing something that competes, but I highly doubt they will have anything that is going to affect NVIDIA's top-of-the-line card. If you are interested in the RTX 4090, you are most likely going to do your best by purchasing it immediately so you are able to sell your existing card before all the new cards from both NVIDIA and AMD hits the market.

Waiting only really makes sense if you think you are going to be patient enough to wait for the RTX 4080 Ti that we all know is going to be released at some point and give you almost the performance of the RTX 4090, but for much better value. This has been going on for several generations from NVIDIA at this point. Wouldn't expect any different from the 4000 series, unless NVIDIA is having such a huge issue of selling out their remaining 3000 series stock of cards that they won't have any interest of doing anything regarding Ti cards for the foreseeable future.

20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Buy yes but all those who have been around long enough have always rooted for ATI/AMD. They have always been seen as the enthusiasts choice, everybody hoping their next big thing is a big thing, just flicking through this thread its so evidant.
    Guru 3D for AMD
    Reddit for everything else.