OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1440p? butwhy??

2. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    The backlight of my Samsung 275t is failing and I was awaiting release of the Samsung G8QNB. Now I am more interested in the Dell AW3423DWF. I will be most interested to see how Samsung prices the G8QNB.

I like that Dell apparently uses full size connectors, while Samsung uses mini. Also while I am not thrilled with Dell's choice of stand, I understand the monitor has a VESA mount, which I believe Samsung does not.

Exciting times. I just hope my 275t lasts long enough.

3. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I can't speak for everyone, but I am 74 and my eyesight is not that great. 1440p is fine for me.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Our favourite QD-OLED monitor gets a $200 cheaper FreeSync (AW3423DWF) variant

Alienware's AW3423DW monitor released a few months back with a price tag it still holds of $1,299 USD.

Alienware's new AW3423DWF monitor has just been announced (spotted by Tom's Hardware (opens in new tab)) and it's very similar to our favoured AW3423DW (opens in new tab) but with open standard technology, making for a $200 cheaper monitor.

Avoiding the Nvidia licence and using AMD's FreeSync Premium Pro and VESA's Adaptive Sync means this new shiny OLED is now down to $1,100 USD.
    It also means the anti-screen tearing efforts and variable refresh rates are compatible with consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5 for up to 120Hz.

-> https://www.pcgamer.com/our-favouri...tm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

Deleted member 164252 likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Having experienced my first OLED monitor in the form of the much-vaunted PG42UQ from Asus ROG, I can confirm that in my opinion this tech isn't suitable for computer monitors.

The dimming in full screen when you maximise a window is absolutely jarring, and doesn't work well - hate the massive reduction in brightness when you maximise things.

And there never seems to be a one size fits all screen configuration which suits all environments, forever having to change it per situation.

I also wasn't terribly impressed by the actual picture quality - the colours didn't seem to pop off the screen the way I expected, and the HDR was actually really poor.

Overall there wasn't that much which I really liked about it, and for me, IPS is the way to go for a monitor.

7. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    My son has an OLED TV, that is my only experience of the technology. I have never seen an OLED monitor. However I thought on monitors the full screen dimming you mention was an option that could be turned off? It would bother me also.

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    OLED TVs are magical, got one a couple of years ago and never looked back - but it doesn't suit computers, in my humble opinion. And no, you can take some measures to marginally reduce it in full screen, but because the way each pixel is individually lit, it's very restricted and you'll always notice the reducing in brightness. It's part of the design, to avoid massive burn in, over bright screens which hurt your eyes, and the PSU blowing.

Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that monitor IS a gaming monitor, not work, so you're not really supposed to be whining about its flaws if you're using it for a purpose it's not been made for, but a £1400 monitor you can't slip easily into Word from?

I have replaced it with an MSI 32 inch IPS panel and it beats it hands down everywhere. It is also a gaming monitor but much better.

Lavcat likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just took delivery of my NEW Skyworth 55" OLED (LG Factory PANEL) 4K TV with VRR and HDMI 2.1 ports.

I walked into the shop, just to look, not thinking about buying but my 1080p HDTV backlighting was flickering like the upside down in Stranger Things!

It was about 47% OFF with 2 year monthly payments for ZERO INTERESTS! I ask the guy and lady if it was to be paid in rubles, arms or methane gas but they said NYET! Dollars you dumb capitalist! I said OK! I'll take it!

Have no idea if it has real HDMI 2.1 but the old 1060 GTX supports 4K @ 30 HZ with HDMI 1.6!

And I did NOT resize my existing windows. I have 4x the work space over the 1080p screen I used before!!!

LOL!

My worktop supports HDMI 2.0 but my god, the Abyss Inky Blacks... I swear it looks close to CRT next to Plasma.

I have it set at 100% DPI scaling. TEXT IS sharp but web browser icons looks like CRAP!

I'm gonna drop it back down to 1080p 120 or 240Hz and play some crap games to see how it looks...

OK, I really NEED that Ryzen 7x00X3D and Radeon 7950 XTX NOW!!!

PS: How the hell do I HIDE the TRASHBIN in Windows Classic (2000) Desktop? I don't want to burn that in!

XD

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Lavcat likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    LG Display Said to Start Producing 27-Inch W-OLED Panels This Month

Due to a slowdown in demand for W-OLED TVs, LG Display is said to be kicking off production of 27-inch W-OLED panels later this month, assuming everything goes to plan.
    This is admittedly based on rumours from Chinese site WeiXin QQ, so it should be taken with some caution. The site claims that the news comes via the Korean media, but we haven't managed to find a Korean source that could corroborate such a claim.
    The report is quite thin on details, so it's unknown what resolution these 27-inch panels will offer. Apparently 32-inch panels are also an option, as well as 40-inch panels for TVs.

The first customer for the 27-inch panels is unsurprisingly said to be LG Electronics, who is expected to launch a 27-inch gaming monitor based on the W-OLED panel sometime in early 2023.
    In related news, LG Display is betting on an improvement in the OLED TV market space in 2023, with the company said to be planning to manufacture no less than 9.2 million large sized OLED panels next year.
    Samsung is also said to be considering using LG Display's W-OLED panels in some of its products next year, but this has been a long time rumour that has not come to fruition so far.

fluidz and Andrewtst like this.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Hopefully not curved and without dynamic brightness at SDR 100nits white. Anyway, nice leap into the right direction.

OnnA likes this.
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I just had an Alienware AW34 here and I wasn't too happy with it. The fans are a known problem and "mine" even didn't seem to be that bad, compared to some horror stories I read, but still it's nothing I'd want in my office at home.
    Then, there's the weird fringing that I couldn't get over and the extremely frequent pixel refresh it asked for.
    At the moment, I'm not even too confiden the predecessor/side step will be much better as even that screen has at least one fan and, from the short experience I had with the AW34, I prefer more curve than 1800R.
    Can't see myself using a full-blown TV for my gaming habits but something between a 34" and a 40" ultrawide should be right around perfect. Curved, silent :)

I think Corsair and LG had products shown at the last shows?

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    My own experience with oled is LG CX 55 inch tv i bought in 2020, the colors are amazing given the right content, and hooking up the tv to pc has never felt better, 1080p looks amazing on this 4k 120hrz tv, not able to test 4k 120hrz yet since im still on rtx 2060 at the moment, waiting to grab a good used 3080 to be able to experience 4.4.4 colors

Valken likes this.
  14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, just a short "pro tip": Don't do A-B testing unless you want to keep something ;)

I put up the screen again yesterday and the picture is just really, really good. As the "F" model from Alienware will also feature fans, I convinced myself to keep it.
    Might be "late to the party", but I can use a nicer screen much better now then I could've used it back in March.
    After getting over the thought "why does it have fans", the sound of them isn't that bad after all & I've had worse sounds, coil whine for example.

15. Meanwhile I have the AW3423D preordered for so many months and the only thing I've received so far is an email stating that they won't be available anytime soon...

Anyway the 27" WOLED panels will finally make it official. Both companies are going for OLED PC monitors now. That's really good news.

OnnA likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  17. Theo1988

Theo1988 Member

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I use an LG C1 from 2021 and for Gaming and Movies its amazing

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Samsung is Considering 27-inch QD-OLED Display Production

It appears that the competition is heating up, well, at least when it comes to who is going to be first to launch a 27-inch OLED-type panel, as Samsung is now considering doing its own 27-inch OLED-type panels,
    following rumours about LG considering its own 27-inch OLED-type panels. The details are from UBI Research via the Elec and based on what's being reported, Samsung was initially going to release an RGB OLED based 27-inch panel,
    but the company wasn't quite there research wise. However, Samsung allegedly went for QD-OLED instead and the article claims it's more profitable for Samsung.

That said, it seems like Samsung will try to win over Apple as its first customer for the panels, rather than launching them under its own brand.
    The panels are said to be manufactured in a brand new plant using Gen 8 OLED substrates, which means that these panels will be produced in a cutting edge facility.
    27-inches also appears to be the smallest size QD-OLED panels we can expect, at least for now, as smaller size panels will use what is referred to as two stack tandem RGB OLED panels.
    These will be used in notebooks and other smaller devices. Samsung is currently producing single stack RGB OLED panels that are used in phones.

19. I also have 55" LG C1 (bought in 2022). Great TV, love it.

ramthegamer and Theo1988 like this.
  20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Wonder how much trade in cx to c1 is gonna be if they accept, and if its worth it.my CX is barely used for just movies, already bought in dec 2020